Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/6/2006 5:46:32 PM EDT
Ok, so here's my little story. In another month or so I will be allowed to attempt to qualify to carry a gun at my current possition. It isn't a "real" qualifying like I have done at previous jobs for the past few years, but it is still a qualifying. Anyway. I have, for three years, carried a Sig. But for this job, since I will not exactly be mobile, just in a store, I was considering qualifying with my 686 instead of my Sig.

So, here's the questions. My 686 is the 6" barrel version. Does anyone else carry this at any time (open, not concealed)? If so, is it practical to carry it for 10 hours a day or am I going to get sick of the weight eventually (I can take almost anything in this department, as long as it doesn't flop, and trying it out isn't an option yet...)? If it is not bad to carry, can anyone reccomend a holster for it (at a reasonable cost, I am making almost no money right now), or is it best to have one custom made? And, last but not least, I will be walking around behind glass counters, so which holster would be best to keep the gun from moving at all?

Sorry if I sound really, incredibly dumb, but I never had to consider this stuff before (I always just had a Sig in a pancake holster) and I am a newbie to shooting, by all rights of the word.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:30:58 PM EDT
That 6" barrel is going to be kind of slow out of the holster and the 686's full lug is going to be quite a boat-anchor to carry all day.

On the other hand if you need it the 6" barrel makes it easy to shoot well and .357mag out of a long barrel is going to hit hard.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:54:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:41:48 PM EDT
I have a 686 in 4 inch. It is a bitch to carry. I needed suspenders to carry mine in a holster becase it just kept dragging my pants down.

Look for a smaller S&W.

The 686 is a great gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
That 6" 686 must weight almost as much as my 4" 629 .44mag! I love my 6" and 4" 686's, but carrying them around all day is not something I'd want to do. I'll carry my 686 occasionally during my walk down to the river, but never for all day carry.

If you want to carry a revolver, find a used 4" M65. Or, even a 3" is a great gun (which I'd actually prefer, but most duty M65's were 4"). You will find that the weight you will save with the K-frame vs the L-frame is greatly appreciated.

I've spent a fair amount of time with a duty belt on, and have always found myself looking for ways to lessen the load. It's something you think about towards the end of the shift. Even though I don't like the looks of them as much, I swapped out my leather gear for nylon.

If you are proficient with your Sig, I'd recommend carrying that. If you 686 was a 4" version, I'd possibly consider it, but not a 6".
Top Top