Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 5:41:04 AM EDT
I'm looking into a 629 Trail Boss (Unfluted Cylinder). I'm a pretty stout guy, I can one hand a DE 50 with no problems. But I've heard these 3" 629's can be hard to handle. Anybody have one of these? Opinions?
Thanks

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a half-dozen 3" S&W Model 29's. I find that the recoil is quite managable, and in fact, have wood grips on all of them rather than the big rubber Hogues.  I don't have a Trail Boss, but do have the original 629 Combat Master, which was a custom order from Lew Horton in the mid 1980's. It has a fluted cylinder and is MagNaPorted.  So it weighs a little less than the Trail Boss.

Best thing about shooting that is the really cool flame pattern from the ports
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I think I'm going to get it then. Guess I'd better get somes dies for it while I'm at it!
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing like a short barreled big bore!

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah... that's the ticket!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
You didn't say you wanted pictures

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
          I have one of the Lew Horton 629's.Fluted cylinder 3 1/2 or 3 1/4 " . This gun isn't ported and has a stout recoil but  not quite as bad as one might think.It is an all steel with a full lug barrel and is a pretty hefty piece. I find smooth wood grips with finger groves seem to work best for me although I prefer the rubber Houge grips on my full size 629.
           S&W I believe has a alloy frame (L Frame) 5 shot in 44sp or 44mag which is something I would not want to mess with. Same goes for the 500 they have in a snubby length-not for me.I know where my limits lie,(god only knows I have crossed them plenty of times,but I like to think I have learned from my mistakes!)
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like the last pic. Which grips are those and do you prefer wood over plastic & rubber?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are S&W logo grip[s which I believe are the same as the Ahrends finger gip. I prefer wood grips on the N-Frames (except for the 610), but I'm not particularly recoil sensitive.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#9]
You won't have any problem with them.  I have one and at first I though it would be severe due to the lack of weight.  However I found them to be fairly tame mostly because there is so little barrel it can't burn all the propellant up and thus won't generate the kind of gas pressure and recoil as a longer barrel.  That offsets the lack of extra weight.  I love shooting mine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Mod29 Mountain gun that is lighter than the Trail boss and can be a handful after about a box of ammo but is by no means hard to handle.  I love shooting it though.  I would really like to get one of the trail boss models next.

DavidC,
That model that is in the third pick is awesome.  Love the bobbed hammer that really sets it off.  Nice masterblasters!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 629 mountain gun (4"), and it's peppy with full magnums, but not unmanageable.  It will probably kick more than the gas-op DE .50 .  I shot a DE .44 and didn't even notice any recoil (i.e. more like 9mm than the 629).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top