Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:51:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/7/2008 2:07:31 PM EST by jdawg68]
I had just went to the range a few weeks ago and was using UMC rounds for just plinking. I went through 100rds without issue but the accuracy was fubar. It was suggested I try WWB 9mm so I went to wal-mart and got a value pack. During my next trip to the range I had 8 times where a shell failed to eject and was stuck in the chamber. I was able to drop the mag and clear the shell and continue on but this is the first time I've had this issue.

Is this a known issue with the winchester rounds or is there something else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:59:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By jdawg68:
I had just went to the range a few weeks ago and was using UMC rounds for just plinking. I went through 100rds without issue but the accuracy was fubar. It was suggested I try WWB 9mm so I went to wal-mart and got a value pack. During my next trip to the range I had 8 times where a shell failed to eject and was stuck in the chamber. I was able to drop the mag and clear the shell and continue on but this is the first time I've had this issue.

Is this a known issue with the winchester rounds or is there something else I should be looking at?

Sounds like bad ammo. try something else.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:12:25 PM EST
How many rounds do you have through the pistol? S&W are known for chipped extractors, check that first. Try other ammo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:21:09 PM EST
The best guess on round count would be around 600-700.

I did an inspection and didn't see anything wrong with the extractor
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:59:41 PM EST
It's not ammo. Something is wrong with the gun. I shoot WWB and UMC all the time in mine with no problems.

Look at your extractor and make sure it is free of chips and clean behind it. Next have a gun smith check and repair as needed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:52:39 AM EST
I sent my 5904 back to Smith & Wesson and they repaired mine for no cost; including repairing the rear sight. I like sending mine to the factory for a real tune-up.
Top Top