Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2012 3:12:55 PM EDT
I purchased a new 500 mag several months ago and had to send it to Smith b/c the cylinder and yoke fell out of the frame.   Smith fixed this problem under warranty but I noticed another issue once I got it back.   When shooting for some reason the hammer fell on an already fired chamber, resulting in a "click" instead of a "bang".   I was shooting at the range today and this happened three times.  Every once in awhile the cylinder is not advancing and the hammer falls on the previously fired chamber(empty casing).  Anyone have any idea how this is happening.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Really doesn't make any difference..send that BAD boy back to S&W.

Suspect it is the little part, whose name escapes me,  that advances/rotates  the cylinder [or its spring].

You should not have to do S&W quality control work.

Let us know what it was.

Best.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed.  I'll be calling them tommorrow.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Early on S&W had problems with the cylinder stop spring. The spring wasn’t strong enough to hold the cylinder stop in position during recoil. The cylinder stop would unlock the cylinder and allow it to rotate backwards one chamber. When the hammer was then cocked, the already fired chamber would be repositioned under the hammer resulting in a click instead of a bang. S&W made stronger cylinder stop springs available for retrofit. They are coated in a light blue color to distinguish them from other cylinder stop springs. If you know how to take your gun apart, you can get the spring from the factory and save the postage for the entire gun. It is easy enough to install and it should take care of the problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  I called S&W this morning and they are sending a call tag.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W has my 500 in their shop currently.  The CS rep told me that they were checking into the service record from the last return.  He also said that if any gun comes back a third time they would replace the firearm.  I can't help but wonder what a fourth return would mandate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my 500 back today from S&W.  I notced the gun was dirty and I also noticed that the new cyclinder looked used, but i was reassured that it was a new replacement along with a new cylinder stop and spring.   I verified from a manger who told me they leave it dirty so that the customer can see it was fired.  At the range, I had a total of six failures this evening out of forty rounds(cylinder still doesn't rotate).  Aside from being totally disgusted from the lack of quality control at S&W, their policy of replacing any firearm that comes back a third time is a myth as I was told toninght.  I told the CS rep that is it not what I was previously lead to belive.  I was told that the business manager would look into any firearm that was returned a second time. I mentioned that I was also told that any S&W firearm that is returned a third time is automatically replaced with a new firearm.   The thought of just trading the damn thing in crossed my mind but I wouldn't want someone else to get a headache.  I plan on making a request for reimbursement, which will never be approved, but it sounds like they won't replace the revolver either.  I'm now convined that the cylinder is used and I was BS'd by everyone that I spoke to at Smith&Wesson!
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
my recommendation:

If it has to be sent back more than once its cursed. cut your losses and find something different
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got my 500 back today from S&W.  I notced the gun was dirty and I also noticed that the new cyclinder looked used, but i was reassured that it was a new replacement along with a new cylinder stop and spring.   I verified from a manger who told me they leave it dirty so that the customer can see it was fired.  At the range, I had a total of six failures this evening out of forty rounds(cylinder still doesn't rotate).  Aside from being totally disgusted from the lack of quality control at S&W, their policy of replacing any firearm that comes back a third time is a myth as I was told toninght.  I told the CS rep that is it not what I was previously lead to belive.  I was told that the business manager would look into any firearm that was returned a second time. I mentioned that I was also told that any S&W firearm that is returned a third time is automatically replaced with a new firearm.   The thought of just trading the damn thing in crossed my mind but I wouldn't want someone else to get a headache.  I plan on making a request for reimbursement, which will never be approved, but it sounds like they won't replace the revolver either.  I'm now convined that the cylinder is used and I was BS'd by everyone that I spoke to at Smith&Wesson!

I had some rather odious problems with an early production E Series 1911TA which, after being returned to S&W twice for repair,  continued to be the most unreliable turd of a handgun I had ever owned in almost 50 years.

Here's what I did.

I sent a copy all correspondence by registered mail receipt requested,  to James Debney, President of Smith and Wesson Firearms along with that which I sent to the service department.........new pistol delivered by Fed-Ex and it's been excellent.

When you speak to the next  service representative, calmly inform them that you will be involving Mr. Debney in all further communications.

(BTW; at the time of my difficulties, the individual who was running the customer service department was Kate Fredette, speak to her and CC her as well and let her know that you are including Mr. Debney in the matter.)

When you include your well written, concise explanation of what is wrong with your revolver, and calmly mention your disgust with the product and the service you have received, clearly CC James Debney at the bottom of the page and send him a copy of the correspondence by registered mail, receipt requested.

Be sure to include the previous work order numbers and exactly what they claimed to have done under each work order and mention your active participation in this and other heavily read Internet handgun forums.

Most of all; stay calm, cool, and business like in all your dealings with the company and let them know in no uncertain terms that "Smith & Wesson clearly has the resources to correct the situation and the company  needs to apply them at this time".

Good luck and let us know how you eventually made out.

Mr.  James Debney, President Firearms
Smith & Wesson
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield  MA 01104

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.  I did exactly that, but in an email to Smith's CS and requested a copy be sent to the CEO.  Now that I have a name I will follow up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  I did exactly that, but in an email to Smith's CS and requested a copy be sent to the CEO.  Now that I have a name I will follow up.

Good luck, a registered letter to James Debney at corporate  and CCd to Kate Fredette  at customer service will likely get your gun replaced.

Let us know how you made out.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a return label from S&W today as well as an Email from Kate Fredette.  I was told to send the revolver back to her and to include the type of ammo used.  She said that the gun was test fired at their range and worked perfectly.  I am waiting on a response to verify if they want me send in the actual ammo or just the info.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I received clarification today that S&W is looking for the ammo lot information b/c there has been some bad ammo out there!  I can see where this is going!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
During my difficulties with my original turd of an E Series 1911 TA S&W customer service tried to hand me the bullshit thatI should only shoot  Winchester White Box or American Eagle FMJ in the gun because that is what they use to test the pistols.

My answer was for them to forget about that nonsense, and that I expected a pistol that would shoot any normally available factory loading both FMJ and hollow point.

I would inform them of the fact that you only shoot brand name factory ammnition and you expect the revolver to handle the ammnition of your choice,  not theirs; and that may well include the hottest available factory loadings which are intended for hunting big game and for defense against brown bears.

Kate Fredette isn't the most helpful individual in the world which is why it's time to take your problem to the highest levels, namely James Debney.

Don't let her misdirect your problem, it's obvious that your  .500 Smith and Wesson revolver is defective; keep the focus of  your discussions on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Fedex picked up my 500 on Friday(waited 3 days due to weather delay).   It should be at S&W by Tuesday.  I'll keep updating.   On a side note, I'm debating on a Ruger Alaskan or a TALO edition 3" model 629.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent an email to Kate Fredette today for any status info.  She stated it would be a few days.  My certified letter was also received by Mr. Debney.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I am anxiously awaiting a response/resolution from Smith.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
You're lucky you weren't defending yourself against a charging brown bear with that turd of a revolver which is one of the uses for which the S&W .500 magnum revolver is marketed.

There is more to customer service than replacing defective magazines or sending customers free baseplates; sometimes it means standing behind the product when there are major quality issues.

Customer service makes or breaks a firearm company these days; I hope Smith & Wesson does what they need to do to maintain their reputation.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Kate responded to my request for a status update yesterday.  She said someone from CS will be contacting me; however, no one has contacted me yet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I called today and left a voicemail with the CS rep who has my gun.  Looks like this is going to be slow and painful!

Update:  CS informed me that they will be shipping a replacement to my FFL and it should arrive in 7 to 10 days.  I'm satisfied and hope to have a fully functioning 500 soon!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
And I ordered a Talo 629!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I called today and left a voicemail with the CS rep who has my gun.  Looks like this is going to be slow and painful!

Update:  CS informed me that they will be shipping a replacement to my FFL and it should arrive in 7 to 10 days.  I'm satisfied and hope to have a fully functioning 500 soon!

You handled it like a boss and in the end where it counts, Smith & Wesson came through for you.

I'm happy for you, enjoy your new revolver.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Just had an opportunity to take the new 500 to the range.  I fired a total of 30 rounds.  Two light primer strikes and two empty cylinder(failure to rotate) failures.   Much worse than the original turd.  I'll be contacting S&W tommorrow!!!  What a fuckin joke!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#24]
This happened with two different manufacturers of 350gr xtp ammo...
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Fedex picked up my 500, back to S&W, maybe I'll get lucky!...And they lose it in shipment!
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Just an update...Got the 500 back from S&W but didn't have a chance to get to the range yet.   I also sent an email to Shaun Phelan in regards to the piss poor communication from S&W and Kate.  To my surprise(Sarcasm) no response after several days, from Shaun either.  CS told me they replaced the firing pin and the side plate screws.  No one could tell me what was discovered by the repair shop nor if they simply slapped some parts on the gun, and sent it on its way.  They also told me to use factory fresh ammo.  I hope Hornady, HSM, and Underwood Ammo meet their requirements!
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got back from the range.  Looks like the firing pin is good to go; however,  I had three misfires within only fifteen rounds total being fired.  The misfires are a result of the cylinder moving during recoil.  I fired all shots single action making certain that the cylinder did indeed advance with cocking the hammer.  Upon examinination and opening the cylinder after each misfire, the cylinder must be free floating.  The unfired rounds are gravitating to the bottom or six o'cock position and the empties to the top or twelve o'clock position.  This is two brand new revolvers both with identical cylinder problems!
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#28]
IMO its ime to demand a refund.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm kind of curious to hear what's happened since.  I got my dream revolver for Christmas (a S&W 629 V-Comp) and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully I don't have any problems like that, I'd cry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#30]
S&W is sending another call tag.  Kate Fredette said in an email that they will check it again for issues but if i checks ok by the service dept. they will be shipping it back to me.   Kate also stated that  there has been problems with the 500 Mag specifically with users accidently double tapping.   I called Smith today and spoke with Kate.  I asked her if there is any reason that the cylinder should be moving during recoil.  I also asked her if the 350gr loading could be problematic,  She did say that I might somehow be causing the cylinder to rotate.  I not really sure how I can cause this but I did receive some 440gr and 500gr loads today.  I'll post after trying the heavier grain loads.  I would hate to find out my gun doesn't like a specific loading.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm kind of curious to hear what's happened since.  I got my dream revolver for Christmas (a S&W 629 V-Comp) and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully I don't have any problems like that, I'd cry.

My new 629 TALO has about 300 trouble free rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I just found an article in Gunblast by Jeff Quinn.  In his original review of the S&W 500mag half of his shooters discovered the same problem I am having with the cylinder rotating freely under recoil.  He stated a heavier cylinder stop spring is needed/required, and that S&W is aware of the problem.   Apparently S&W forgot about this issue or maybe had a couple lighter springs to get rid of in production!

Edit:  Just got a response from S&W...My 500 already has the heavier spring in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top