Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 4:03:05 AM EDT
I'm really close to getting an XD-45ACP.

The 4" models are in the shops.  It looks like we have a few more months before the 5" will be available.

I'd like to get some opinions from you guys with experience.  Do you think the 5" would have significantly better accuracy/handling/etc., or that there wouldn't be a noticable difference to the average shooter?

Intant gratification or waiting for something better?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
for the intended purpose of a hand gun I don't see any advantage to a 5" over a 4".

since a handgun should be used for defence and under 25 feet, accuracy should be more than sufficent.

unless you are looking at a target gun then I don't think the XD is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience doesn't exactly mirror your question, so take it for what it's worth;

I have a XD 9 sub, which I like a lot. However, I've been taking a number of pistol classes and participating in organized shoots involving shots at some distance, and thought that a full size might well be better suited to these activities. I fully intended on picking up a 4", but lucked into a used 5" 9mm at a great price. I picked it up, and absolutely love it. It's a lot more accurate than the 3" sub and easier to shoot well. The extra inch makes no real difference in carry, and the longer sight radius really helps with accurate shooting.

If i were in your position and could get a 5" currently, I'd go with it over the 4". However, like you point out, the 4" are around now and the 5" are currently just vaporware. Nevertheless, in your shoes, I'd wait. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the opinions.

I think I'll wait.  At least then I won't be wondering "What if I had waited...?"
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm really close to getting an XD-45ACP.

The 4" models are in the shops.  It looks like we have a few more months before the 5" will be available.

I'd like to get some opinions from you guys with experience.  Do you think the 5" would have significantly better accuracy/handling/etc., or that there wouldn't be a noticable difference to the average shooter?

Intant gratification or waiting for something better?

I fondled an XD45 ACP today at my gunshop. I didnt care for it, I have an XD40 and what I like most about the XD's is the way they "fit' in my hand. The 45ACP has a longer grip which just did not feel right. I also think that 14 rds of 45 is going to make a heavy out of balance pistol. I was all geared up to get one til I handled one, I will stay with my XD40..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm still waiting for SA to bring out a 5in XD-9 with the stainless slide. Would go great with my bi-tone XD9 4in.- but alass; it is not meant to be aparrently.

they have the stupid 45 GAP 5in bi-tone; but no luck with the nine.

If I ever do get a 45ACP XD it will be a 5in(preferably bi-tone; what can i say- I like how it looks)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top