Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2002 8:23:58 PM EDT
Someone please help me with this. Gun = New (>300 rds) Springfield Micro compact .45.
Problem with slide locked back and NO magazine in the well, when I realease the slide the hammer also falls.
Is this a problem?
With my full size springfield the hammer stays cocked when you drop the slide with no mag. in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a bad sear or hammer or something.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Dammit!!!!!!
It just came back from SPringfield fixed because it was dumping (as in full auto dump) magazines with a pull of the trigger.
I put 300rds thru the damn thing, break  it, send it in to get fixed and now before I even get a chance to shoot it its broken again.  Or they just never got it fixed to begin with...
Anyone else having same problems or anything with Springfields new micro compact 45...
Also can anyone recomend a gunsmith near Fredericksburg VA where I can take this damned gun to to get it fixed again.

AND NO it is not for sale cheap, so BACK off!!!

Thank you all in advance
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dammit!!!!!!
It just came back from SPringfield fixed because it was dumping (as in full auto dump) magazines with a pull of the trigger.
I put 300rds thru the damn thing, break  it, send it in to get fixed and now before I even get a chance to shoot it its broken again.  Or they just never got it fixed to begin with...
Anyone else having same problems or anything with Springfields new micro compact 45...
Also can anyone recomend a gunsmith near Fredericksburg VA where I can take this damned gun to to get it fixed again.

Thank you all in advance

KIMBER!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dammit!!!!!!

Thank you all in advance

KIMBER!  

Yup, saw that one coming a mile away....
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Something is definitely WRONG with it.

For a second, I thought it might be a loose nut on the grip, but the gun DOES seem to have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah yeah all you bragarts the damn dealer talked me out of the kimber. And he is/was a MASTER dealer for kimbers.  
Anyway it is definately NOT supposed to drop the hammer when you release the slide with no magazine inserted???

I know there WAS something wrong previously but the competent folks at Springfield were supposed to have fixed the problem the first damn time.  

I have not fired it since its ignanimous (is this a real word? it just popped into my head)return from the factory, and my wife just brought it to my attention that her gun "felt" funny. (nice catch honey)...
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You can just buy a new set of sear, hammer and mainspring from brownells. Its drop in. No more factory BS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahh thank you, that was the answer I wanted to hear. Bust open the .45 fixer upper thingamagig book discombobulate my wifes $800 gun and re-combobulate it with good aftermarket parts...

I can do that.

BTW gun this small in FA makes a big BBBOOOOMMMMM, smacks the wrist bones sharply, and makes you say W T FK was that!!!!!!!

Then you do it all again to make sure you weren't dreaming the first time around.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW just how dangerous is this gun right now I am figuring it is hitting a 10 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being a soon to go kaboom and blow off my hand if I try to fire it in this "mode" that it has gotten itslef into...

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok this is complicated. Being that this gun is a micro compact don't the parts I need to be sized accordingly or will full size parts fit in it and....

Oh what the hell does anyone have a good gunsmith near Fredericksburg.

TTI international comes to mind but he is a bit pricey. Anyone???
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Hammer and sear will be the same as full size. Mainspring is probably different. I don't remember. The problem sounds like fire control mechanism, it won't blow, unless the barrel is screwed up too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey thank's again CJ.  I just really did not want to lose the gun for a month or so again to Springfield.
I'll take a look at the darned thing with clear eyes in the morning and see if I can figure this out.

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BTW just how dangerous is this gun right now I am figuring it is hitting a 10 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being a soon to go kaboom and blow off my hand if I try to fire it in this "mode" that it has gotten itslef into...

IANAG, I am not a gunsmth, but...

Chain firing, imho, sound like hte hammer is riding the firing pin home.  I suspect you could be looking at a dangerous situation.  Seems to me it is just a matter of time before it fires before fully seating a bullet in the chamber.

Unless I miss my guess, you are just one soft primer away from a KB.

YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes Redgoat that's exactly what is happening and I am scared it isgoing to go bang while loading.  So what part is broken again? what should I be looking for? A broken piece or something?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Wayne Novak in W. Virginia does excellent work and you can keep the price down to something reasonable. However, that won't solve your problem with the gun being out of your hands a while.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Contact info for wayne??
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Send it back.  I dont believe in letting manufacturers get away with not making something right that should have been in the first place.  Stress in your letter how unsafe the guns condition is and the liability associated with that.  I guarantee you they'll snap to.

You most definetly have a bad sear or hammer or both.

One other tidbit.  Dont drop the slide on an empty chamber. In the 1911 it batters the hell out of the sear engagement surfaces and will ruin a good trigger job.

also:
www.novaksights.com
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm listening and learning.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and tidbits. Please keep it coming
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Novak's

http://www.novaksights.com/Gun%20Shop/Custom%20Gun%20Shop.htm

You can navigate around. Call for time frames, etc. One of the absolute best in the business, and knows the difference between a "play" gun and a "serious" defense pistol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Ha I coud not hold off. I put it in capable hands.

We test fired it, putting out two shots with the pull of the trigger. real cool but definately broken. Thank you everyone for advice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
THere's a saying....

" If you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself."

If you've got an idea on how thte thing works, i suggest trying it yourself. You can keep sending it in and keep having problems, or you cna tackle it yourself and learn in the process.

Would you send your AR in if you had problems?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Send it back, include a letter and follow up phone call before it gets there, in my humble opinion.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
 Man, I sure know your pain.  After my 1911 armor coat screwed up for the millionth time I ordered all new guts and am just finishing up the fitting myself.  The factory folks at S.A. are very nice people but about as useless as tits on a boar.  I will never deal with them again...and they used to be so helpful....oh, well.  I regutted the whole pistol with Colt, Wilson and Ed brown components. I am also gonna replace the barrel with a one piece pretty soon.

As much as I hate that pig/dog gun it has turned out to be one of the best 45's I have ever felt.  It just took a hell of a lot of doing....and it was NOT what I had intended to do.  I originally wanted a gun I WOULD NOT have to work on.  Ah, well...

Oh!!!! One important tip: REPLACE YOUR HAMMER STRUT!!!!!  S.A. uses a cast one and if you shoot as much as I do I guarantee IT WILL BREAK.  Mine sure did...and it ruined my sear spring in the process.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes I find myself being a glutton for punishment. Buy the Springfield saying" This ones gonna work this time" than complain and bitch when it shits the crapper like the last one. But, spend money on it anyway 'cause I love the damn thing and I know I am gonna make it work right if it's the last thing I ever do!
And I agree about the folks at SA, excellent cutomer courtesy and service but they just never seem to get the actual problems fixed even after repeated trips to the shop.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Something is definitely WRONG with it.

For a second, I thought it might be a loose nut on the grip, but the gun DOES seem to have a problem.

LOL! That's seriously funny.

Ricker, Thank you for pointing that one out!
Yes, yes, very funny DevilsAdvocate

Now if only I could come up with a witty remark of my own.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#27]
You should never drop the slide on an empty 1911.
It beats up the hammer / sear engagement.

What happens at the range with live ammo?

If you know how to detail strip the gun and can borrow a hammer, sear, and disconnector from a buddy, you can try replacing each one, one at a time and see which part is defective.
For the price of shipping the gun back to SA, you can probably order the replacement part from chip McCormick or Brownells.
It will probably be quicker too.

On the other hand, SA should honor there warranty and make the gun work.

I guess it depends on how soon you want it and weather you want to try to troubleshoot it some your self.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied and offered advice, which I asked for.

Update on the gun: Took it to tti-intl.com and got it back in a week. All parts were brand new from springfield but had not been "honed", or so I was told, Anyway $50 bucks later and now the gun shoots like a dream. TTI in Glen Allen Va, is priced pretty high but they seem to do quality work.

In defense of Springfield, they pay for shipping back and forth and test fire the gun. I cannot blame them when it works correctly at their shop. I was harsh on them initially, and should apologize,  they tried their best and offered great customer service, this is why I continue to purchase their products, It just takes some work to get their guns "just right".

Happy New year to all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You should never drop the slide on an empty 1911.
It beats up the hammer / sear engagement.

What happens at the range with live ammo?

Its an inertia thing.  The act of chambering a round manually or the gun cycling a round slows down the slide velocity enough that the sear surfaces dont slap each other as hard from the inertia.  Its not so much a problem with a GI spec gun with a 10lb trigger (exageration), but when you have a nicely tuned piece, with polished engagement surfaces and shorter sear engagement, it beats the parts together.  Sometimes it just makes the trigger pull rougher, sometimes it leads to breakage.  Its especially bad if you are using Titanium race gun parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top