Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2005 2:17:07 PM EDT
Was wondering which would you buy, not for concealed carry but for fun/home defense?  CDNN has them both for aout 380 used.

JMN69
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both but prefer my Sig. The trigger pull is much smoother on a stock Sig compared to a stock 4506. That being said a good trigger job on the 4506 will make it smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sig will be worth more on the open market. Mags will probably cost a few $$$ more, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
im going to be different and say go with the 4506
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]

SIG
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I had both, now I just have the SIG!

My experience with both models have been good, both are quality firearms, but the SIG just steps out in front in how the pistol felt and functioned, after continued use with both the 4506 and SIG 220 the Sig is what stayed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Owned both. Sold the Sig and still shoot my 4506.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Get both. I did!

Although I'd lean toward the Sig as the more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot both but I like the feel of the 4506 better.  It just fits me better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
jmn69,

First off, I think the comparisons aren't exactly perfect with a 5 inch all steel gun VS a alloy framed 4.4 inch gun.  If it were a 4563 compared to a 220 it would make for a better match.
I don't own a 4506, but I do own its little brother the 4566 and it is fantastic.

Either would be great for fun or home defense.  The 220 is a great gun and will last a lifetime.  I think the 4506 is a great gun, and will probably last two lifetimes.  Being all stainless is a big plus to me.  Not to mention if you wanted to bump up the power level to 45 super, I believe all you need is a spring upgrade on the 4506.

I know the following is not a 4506/220 comparison, but it is a side by side comparison of comparable SIG/S&W double stack stainless nines.  Which oddly, comes close to the same results I had with a 225/3913 comparison.

SIG vs S&W Head to Head

I have a fidiciary duty   to inform you, like BobCole has done, that on the resale market you will probably get more for the 220 than the 4506.

Either one you get will do the job done for you, let us know how it turns out.
chissel
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't own a SIG, but I do own a number of S&W automatics, to include a 4506.  Here's my personal opinion of that pistol:

1. High quality.  Fit and finish is excellent.  It is one of the early production models with the hooked trigger guard.  It came with a really bad set of S&W 3-dot sights.  I sent it off to Wayne Novak for his lo-mounts.  No ugly MIM metal anywhere.

2. Ergonomics.  It's a slab-sided pistol and the grip angle ergonomics are much the same as the 1911.  The stock one-piece plastic grips were too thin.  Hogues fixed that problem nicely.

3. Function.  With current production magazines (black follower) function is flawless.  Feeds everything just fine.  Watch out for used magazines with orange or yellow followers.  Buy them is they are cheap and get new followers from S&W.

4. Accuracy is... average.  The pistol is perhaps the most ammo sensitive pistol I've ever shot.  WWB 230 gr. ammo produces 3" groups at 25'.  230 gr. ammo from PMC shaves about 1/2" off the group size.  I'm still searching for what this pistol really likes.  Many say that a new Bar-Sto barrel will fix this problem nicely, but I'm too cheap to find out.  Later production models may have fixed this problem because many 4506 owners sing  praises about their pistol's accuracy.

Still, it's a keeper.  I like it, and would not hesitate to carry it for self defense - open carry only, it is a BIG pistol!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top