Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:33 AM EDT

Ok, for those that's been using 4506. I have a quick question about your magazines.

I have a chance to pick up either YELLOW or BLACK follower OEM mags. The yellow are used and the dealer's trying to get his last few out so I can get them for $8/each... in good shape The black are NIB and cost $19/each.

I know from another post that the black followers are the newer design mags... but have anyone had issue with their yellow mags? I have a 4006 that has yellow followers and haven't had any issue with them. But I have no experience with the 4506 mags.

Thanks,

~rc
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:32 PM EDT
I have 645/4506 mags with metal, yellow and black followers. None have ever failed me in any way. I'd pick up the cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 8:25:47 PM EDT by CavReconScout]
Depends. If you keep them loaded, or use them alot, the feed lips will spread. We have issued 4506s since the mid 90's, and I have had to shitcan all of the older mags. When the feed lips spread the mags will shoot the first round up and stovepipe, or shoot it out the ejection port when you slam the mag home after a reload. They also will not feed rounds consistently. (The front of the lips spread. They hold the base of the cartridge, but allow the front of the round to rotate upward).

Keep in mind that this happened with mags that were constantly loaded, and fully cycled at least 4 times a year (Department practice and quals). If you are just using the 4506 as a safequeen or for the range the older mags with / yellow followers will work just fine. If you are using it for home defense, I guess you just have to ask if your life is only worth the $11 you save. We asked ourselves the same question, and decided to replace all the older mags.

Edit: By the way $19 is a great price for new S&W mags. I believe they wanted over $40 a mag the last time we ordered them from Ray O'Herron's.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:58:47 AM EDT
Well, I don't know what to say about----scout's commentary. I am a retired leo....last duty gun was a transition model 645 (early frame 2nd gen. slide....Still have it, still carry it....Never a hitch, never a jam. I've some seven mags, including metal followers, steel yellow & red. ALL never fail. ALL are fully stoked and have been so for years, not one stovepipe has ever occured with my gun. Frankly I truly believe that mag design to be one of the best.....show me anything else that'll consistatnly chamber empty cases! My bet would be that the mags that malfunctioned were abused, dropped in training exercises of some sort. You can't beat the price offered.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT
I agree about the superior mag design of the S&W mags. They are certainly more durable and less prone to wear than the factory mags I have with my P220.
Top Top