Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2002 3:18:13 AM EDT
I have been been back and forth about what 44 Mag revolver to buy.Originaly the three choices were Colt Anaconda, S+W 29,S+W629 and Ruger Super Redhawk. Now I`m down to S+W 629 and Ruger Redhawk.I know that I want an 8 inch barrel with whatever I get and that the gun is going to have a Stainless Steel finish. Out of the two guns what is the better buy?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The best buy, in my opinion, is the one YOU like to shoot the best.  Have you tried both?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I only had a chance to shoot a 6 inch barreled 629. I liked but at the time I was hearing a lot about the Super Redhawk.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
the smith has better fit and finish.
the ruger will need a trigger job.  but that is only important in a target gun.  but in my mind that makes smith the better buy.
my 7 3/8"? smith is a classic and will shoot clay birds at 100 yds when i do my part.  i also got a silver propoint to go with it.  the propoint is a must if your going to hunt with it.  for target shooting you might go with a 2X or 4X scope.  laser grips are cool.  if you don't like the hogue grips try the Pacmayer(sp). gripper grips.  if you buy it from a gun shop they should be willing to let you test fit different grips.  

the bottom line is the pistol that fits the best is the one you will shoot the best.

if you have never shot pistols before i would try 44 specials in your gun before buying the full house magnums.  if you have a buddy that reloads he can make you some 44 magnum rounds that are not full strength.  we would hate to get you off on the wrong foot by making you flinch or have you buy a gun you will not enjoy shooting because of the recoil or muzzle blast.  a 44 magnum is somthing you want to ease into.      
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you should add the Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter to your list.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
As the others say the S&W has the much better trigger. It is also, IMO, a slightly more accurate gun. If you're going to shoot 300gr maximum hunting loads then get the Ruger as it'll hold better as it's much heavier.

If you're just shooting standard 240gr loads then the S&W is the way to go. My S&W is a 29 Classic in 5" barrel.

Check Gun List newspaper as you'll probably find a good deal on a slightly used one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
smith&wesson quality has recently fell through the floor. buy a ruger and i'll bet you will be a happy camper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Now I`m down to S+W 629 and Ruger Redhawk.I know that I want an 8 inch barrel......

Both Ruger and Smith & Wesson make fine guns.  I have a 629 Classic with 8-3/8 inch barrel and a Super Blackhawk with 7-1/2 inch barrel. A friend of mine has a Redhawk.  All of them shoot well, but the Smith has a better trigger than the Rugers.  Any of them will take a lot of usage.  The Smith is a tad slimmer and the grip fits my hand better than the Rugers, and it is more accurate than the Rugers.

If you are serious about a heavy-duty 44, then I would suggest you also check out Dan Wesson revolvers.  I have one of their SS models with an 8-inch barrel that is as robust as the Rugers, has a trigger that is smoother than my 629, and outshoots any other 44 that I or my friends have.  Plus, if you want a different barrel length at some time, you can simply buy another barrel (2", 4", 6", 8", or 10") to give you a selection in that aspect, too.

Good Luck

S4F

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top