Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 12/22/2003 12:05:00 PM EDT
I am going to be getting a new hunting pistol. Probably going to be a New Model Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk. Trying to decide between the 44 and the 45. I am a relaoder so I will work up a load that works best for my needs. Does anyone have any experience with these two? Is one finicky or difficult to work with? Just looking for some basic guidance/experience.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:32:28 PM EDT
For one that does NOT reload the .44 is a much better choice.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:10:17 PM EDT
My vote goes to the .44,I reload also "but"you never know when ya might need to grab a box of factory ammo in a pinch and factory .45 is anemic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 3:48:29 PM EDT by Crockett]
Hi,

I reload them both. In my experience, you'll have a much better selection of bullets to work with in .44. I have no trouble finding cast lead bullts for either in common weights, but while I can usually only turn up one weight of jacketed in .45 (225gr., I think?) I can always find every weight from 180 up to 300 in .44.

Of course you have those guys who'll claim the .45 has much greater potential than the .44 and I believe them. But they're using custom guns with oversize 5-shot cylinders. In a stock revolver I think you can improve a lot over factory .45 Colt by handloading, but again in a stock gun you could probably only safely be on a par with the .44.

My opinion, go .44 for the wider selection of bullets...unless you're buying a S&W Mountain Gun, then go .45 because you can work up a nice load that will rival fatory .44 ammo in performance but operate a lower pressure, not pounding the gun or the shooter as much.

That's just my (limited) experience.
Don

Edit: Oh I just saw you're looking at Rugers. Sorry about the Smith comment.
I have a Super Blackhawk in stainless steel. It's launched the front sight several times, next time it comes off I'm drilling and tapping a hole to screw it on with! The grips are loose from recoil (I think, could be shrinkage of the wood) and I am always having to tighten the screw holding the ejector rod on the barrel, even with locktite. Watch that screw, it'll come out and you'll launch the ejector shroud. All in all, good gun. It just gets hammered, that's all. I have a .45 Blackhawk and it's had none of those troubles. But my Redhawk is the best! I'd say think about one of them.
Don

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:04:25 PM EDT
Go with .44 Mag in a Thompson Center Contender. Very beefy weapon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:32:22 PM EDT
I have used the 44 Rem Mag and the 45 Colt in a number of revolvers over the years. When loaded to max pressures with equal length barrels and equal weight bullets there really isn't much diff in velocities. The 44 mag runs higher pressures but the cylinder can take higher pressures in the 44 mag. Unless you want/need the slight increase in frontal area of the .452 caliber I would stay with the 44 mag in the SBH.
There are a lot of BHs chambered in 45 Colt with undersize chamber throats, it's easy to check and inexpensive to correct but it can be a pita. The blued BH uses an aluminum gripframe and an unpinned front sight. The stainless BH uses a steel gripframe and a pinned front sight.
The SBHs all use a steel gripframe. I think all SBHs use the pinned front sight but it may be only the stainless SBHs. The hammer cocking spur on the SBH is lower than the BHs and is much quicker to find and use with the left thumb. There are a number of variations on the SBH such as regular gripframe or Dragoon gripframe, fluted or unfluted cylinders which are determined by choice of barrel length. I would make sure I got the pinned front sight. If you decide on the 45 Colt let me know and I will help you to not get one with undersize chamber throats.
Have a nice evening, Rabon...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:48:29 PM EDT
I have the SBH in 10.5" stainless very accurate
only thing I did was grips to cover up the square trigger gaurd I agree there are a better variaty of bullets for the 44mag vs 45LC.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:00:48 PM EDT
The hot loaded 45 is hard on on the thin walled brass and you will get alot of splits at the higher pressures.

If you want to shoot Mag loads go with the 44 the brass lasts longer.

Top Top