Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 4:26:07 AM EDT
I'm looking for a snake gun but don't want to have to carry my shot gun when I'm out in the fields. Is there a handgun that shoots 410 shot shells?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]
yep.  .45 Long Colt
Might be some exceptions there, like certain guns you dont want to fire 410 in.  But, I think that's the general rule.  45LC will fire 410.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Tarus, Thompson, and several centerfire pistol cals come loaded with shot.  JD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
you can get snake shot in a variety of calibers: .357mag, 9mm, 45acp, .45colt, .22lr and a bunch of others. check out blazer shotshell.  iirc federal and winchester make the .22lr shotshell stuff.  i can't be certain if these rounds will cycle an auto or not but they would work fine in revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Thunder Five

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
DO NOT get a 410 pistol to kill snakes.
they are WAY WAY overkill and will hurt you at close range.  
i have been sprayed with my TC contender and it's not fun.  

if you want to get a "snake killer" the CCI shotshells work much better.
you can get them in 22lr, 38spl and .44mag.  maybe 9mm 40S&W? all will do a great job without fear of splash back.  
i have killed rattlers with a 22lr pistol.  sure automatics don't cycle but run the slide and fire again if you need to.  one good hit from even a tiny 22lr shotshell will kill a big snake or rabbit.

also everyone needs a good 6" 22 revolver.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yep.  .45 Long Colt
Might be some exceptions there, like certain guns you dont want to fire 410 in.  But, I think that's the general rule.  45LC will fire 410.

It doesn't work quite like that. While some short barreled single shots and side by sides are listed as .410/.45LC, you can't use .410 shells in a standard .45LC revolver.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips. CCI looks like the way to go. Their web site says ther is a shop down the road that stocks it. If they have it in 9 I'll try it in my XD. Of course i was also looking for an excuse to buy another gun! Oh well something else will come up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DO NOT get a 410 pistol to kill snakes.
they are WAY WAY overkill and will hurt you at close range.  
i have been sprayed with my TC contender and it's not fun.  

if you want to get a "snake killer" the CCI shotshells work much better.
you can get them in 22lr, 38spl and .44mag.  maybe 9mm 40S&W? all will do a great job without fear of splash back.  
i have killed rattlers with a 22lr pistol.  sure automatics don't cycle but run the slide and fire again if you need to.  one good hit from even a tiny 22lr shotshell will kill a big snake or rabbit.

also everyone needs a good 6" 22 revolver.  

Handloaded .460 S&W shotshells using the CCI capsules are devastating to rattlesnakes.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from the gun shop. bought 2 boxes 0f 9mm. Ouch --over a buck a round! Will try a couple out tonight. In the shop less than 10 minutes got swept twice by idiots w/ shot guns. Now I remember why I by most gun stuff on-line.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just got back from the gun shop. bought 2 boxes 0f 9mm. Ouch --over a buck a round! Will try a couple out tonight. In the shop less than 10 minutes got swept twice by idiots w/ shot guns. Now I remember why I by most gun stuff on-line.

Those are also fun to impress dummies at a range.  Just throw some clay pigeons up in the air, and blast them with the 9mm.  As long as everyone else doesnt get wise to the shotshells, they will think you are the god of handguns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#11]
For snake killin', all you need is a shovel
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#12]
they are also less noisy than a nail gun so you can use them if you live in a city without drawing a lot of attention to yourself.  

try one out on a pop can full of water from 5' away and post pics.      
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah!

I like that Bond Arms.

Not sure what I'd use it for but It's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I used the CCI .45ACP shotshells out of a 1911.  Cycled reliably and had a very usable pattern.  You could probably hunt small game with them at under 25 yards quite effectively.  Snakes wouldn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Dunno what shot does to a normal pistol barrel's rifling, but I'm sure it's been discussed...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dunno what shot does to a normal pistol barrel's rifling, but I'm sure it's been discussed...

if the shot is lead then it won't do anything harmful to the rifling.  if it is steel then well i don't know cause i ain't a metalurgist or an expert.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if the shot is lead then it won't do anything harmful to the rifling.  if it is steel then well i don't know cause i ain't a metalurgist or an expert.

+1 lead just follows the lands and makes an ugly pattern.  that is why TC came up with a "choke" for their 45c/410 barrels. without the choke you get donut groups.  empty of shot in the middle and a halo or shot.  with the choke in it makes a nice consistent pattern.  just don't be to close when you touch it off.

but put it in a shot capsule and it seems to solve the problem.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
TAURUS just came out with th NEW 410 raging bull! Awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top