Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:23:22 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times on these boards, and a legion of know it alls will give me grief, but here it is:

I'm considering purchasing a Glock, but can't decide between the G 24 and the G 21.  Besides the obvious caliber and slide length variations, anybody got any input?  It's likely I'll end up with both down the road.  I've shot plenty of Glock's in 9mm.

I like the capacity options of the .40, but would also like the power of the .45.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated, as I plan for this to be my go-to gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
ballistics aside, the G21's grip will be noticibly larger in diameter

the .40sw glock's have the same diameter as the 9mms

now to caliber: .40sw has just as much if not more usually energy than .45acps (but you can get comparative .45acp ammo around); also, i dont like the .40sw as much as its got a snappier recoil than the .45acp imo
then the .40sw also has higher presure chambering--i prefer either a 10mm or the .45acp

mag capacity is only 2 difference....i can deal w/ the G21's grip size, so i would get the G21

but its up to you, get the one that fits you

may i ask why you are opting for the long slide G24? why not just get the G23/22?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of the long slide as I might use the gun for three-gun competitions.  I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed with the accuracy of the 21, but the long slide can't hurt.

Are the trigger pull differences that noticable between the two? I believe the 24 comes with a 3.5 lb trigger, opposed to the 5.5 on the 21.  Not that I need a soft trigger, but I wondered if this is noticable on the Glocks in general.

Thanks for the info Alphaghost.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I would get a .45 Glock over a .40 Glock.

The 3.5 trigger is standard on what Glock considers target or competion guns.
The 5.0 trigger is standard on "working" guns.

The cost for parts to go from a 5.5 to 3.5 trigger, or vice-versa, should ble like $4-8. Any competent Glock Armorer should be able to do the swap in about 2 minutes. The parts are all "drop in".

If you shoot a 3.5 Glock, then a 5.5 Glock, you will probably feel a slight difference. If you pick up a Glock anf fire it, by itself, you probably couldn't "tell" which trigger weight was in there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a sound bit of advice to me. Thanks Oly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
They're both good rounds when backed up by good bullets...
But the issue should be what fits you and what can you controll and hit with...
I would not  fell un-armed with either...
I am biased towards the 21 because I have had one for 16 years...But I am looking at a new
G38...Like G19 in size and fit but a big hole at the muzzle.
.45GAP.....Big hole...same ballistics of a 45acp...AND....this is the best part for me and a lot of people out there......a smaller grip that you don't have to learn to love....
SO now you got three choices....Big frame glock big bullet or a small frame medium bullet or small frame and big bullet.....
And lastley...As in your GO/to gun you mean a defense gun...Don't mess with the trigger...Leave it stock,,it can be a liabilty if you go to a lighter trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top