Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 5:59:15 AM EDT
I currently have a PPKS that I am quite fond of and can shoot well. Will a 9 really offer any more advantage in real world CCW scenario?

Thanks
Lebrew
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:46 AM EDT
yeah, 14-15" of penetration and solid expansion with a good round versus 8"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:08:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lebrew:
I currently have a PPKS that I am quite fond of and can shoot well. Will a 9 really offer any more advantage in real world CCW scenario?

Thanks
Lebrew

If you can achieve the same shot placement with the 9mm as with the .380 ACP, then the 9mm offers significant advantages in many real world CCW scenarios.

However, my experience as a CHL instructor tells me that very few CHL holders can achieve the same level of accuracy with the small 9mm's as with the comparably sized .380's such as the PPK and the Sig P232. If you practice several thousand rounds a year and are committed to practicing sufficiently with the small 9mm to gain and maintain a high level of proficiency (in spite of however uncomfortable such practice may be), then the 9mm is a better choice in a reliable model.

But it folly to imagine you are better prepared simply by carrying a more powerful gun if you don't shoot the more powerful gun accurately.

Michael Courtney

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:01:35 PM EDT
Due to the blowback nature of 380 pistols, i find that my bersa thunder really doesnt have any less felt recoil than my Glock 26 when firing 147gr rangers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:19:50 PM EDT
Dump the PPKS, or keep it for a toy. Get a mini glock in 9mm, .357, .40, or .45.

Other choices:

Kahr
etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:20:55 PM EDT
I the small difference in recoil between the two calibers is enough to affect your shooting ability, you aren't shooting enough.

For the record, my two favorite compact pistols are a three inch SP101 w/ .357 magnums and a Kahr P9 with 125gr bullets.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 6:54:04 AM EDT by Michael_Courtney]

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:
Due to the blowback nature of 380 pistols, i find that my bersa thunder really doesnt have any less felt recoil than my Glock 26 when firing 147gr rangers.

The action type isn't the only factor in comparative recoil, and certainly not the only factor in accuracy. Both subjective recoil and practical accuracy are affected by numerous ergonomic factors such as grip type, grip size, grip angle, bore axis, slide weight, recoil spring, balance, action type, sight type, sight radius, etc.

The bottom line is the level of accuracy which can be achieved. As a certified instructor for NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection courses, I haven't seen a single student shoot a Glock 26 or a Kahr PM9 as well as a Sig P232. Most shooters I've taught or talked to find the Glock 26 and Kahr PM9 too painful to practice with regularly, but are very impressed with the comfort and shootability of the Sig P232.

Don't cloud the issue with negative feedback regarding a specific pistol which may be considerably different in shootability from other models. If a 9mm were available in a gun more matching the ergonomics, accuracy, and functioning of the Sig P232 or the Wather PPK, it might be a much more viable option.

Michael Courney
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:02:34 AM EDT
that's all subjective

I shot Tactical response advanced tactical pistol with my glock 26. that's a 2000 round count course over 2 days. no problems controlling the gun. all shots could be covered with my hand at 5 yards. My split times average .17. Granted, i am the exception rather than the rule as i doubt many CCW permit holders devote the time and effort I do to tactical pistolcraft.
Top Top