Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2008 11:38:36 AM EDT
I just recently purchased a Ruger LCP and plan on using it for a carry weapon.  I dont have a lot of experience with 380's and was wanting some recommendations on carry ammo.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The thing to keep in mind with .380 is you want penetration more than expansion. I use 95gr fmj, it does no good if it expands before it gets where needed and doesn't make it. shot placement is key in a small caliber.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
With something like the LCP you're best served by high quality FMJ.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The absolute best ammo you can get for the .380 is 45ACP. Get yourself a different pistol, your life may depend on it. And don't look in the case that has the Ruger's in it when you go to get this new pistol.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The absolute best ammo you can get for the .380 is 45ACP. Get yourself a different pistol, your life may depend on it. And don't look in the case that has the Ruger's in it when you go to get this new pistol.

Way to answer the guy's question...for all we know the OP is a 4'8" 95lb female who has to wear a bathing suit to work every day and the LCP is her only option for carry...
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Hornaday 90gr JHP.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
AGNTSA!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You encapsulated my thinking exactly, and I'm laughing my ass all the way to the kitchen for a Bourbon!!

My father's office mgr just bought some little POS Taurus DAO pistol (in 32, IIRC).  She took it to the range and could hardly pull the trigger.  My dad shot it and just about chucked it downrange.

There's something to be said for buying a real gun, in a real caliber, made to real standards.  I used to think that 38/380 were the minimum acceptable chamberings for a defense gun.  Now, I really don't want anything smaller than a 9mm (given the improvement in small guns).  A G26 w/ a 12-rd mag in a Maxpedition Versipack is the way to go!!

I also have a G30 for when I want a little more oomph.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry CORBON 80gr. DPX loads.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Corbon DPX
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The absolute best ammo you can get ...................Snip.

If you have nothing to add don't bother posting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No need for that crap in a tech forum so go troll GD or just go away...

OK, maybe the .380 isn't the ideal "man-stopper" but ANY gun is better than no gun and the .380 is mucho better than a .22  or .25 that have managed to stop/kill many people.

Break that gun in and as a thought, mix FMJ and high-quality, modern HPs in the magazine and train to "double tap."

B2

BTW, my Kel-Tec carries very nicely/easily in dress clothes -- use a pocket holster!  

Also, I'm sure we're all curious about the cost, performance and details of the "new Ruger" -- Just sayin' post it up when you get it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#14]
As a reform mouse gunner, I ask folks to THINK about why you carry.

Then think about your choice of firearm.

A pocket pistol with no sights in a borderline caliber.

If someone you love's life was on the line and they died because the mouse gun wasn't able to help out--can you live with that?

I couldn't, so I changed my handgun to a pocket-sized Kahr PM9 with real night sights and 9mm 115gr bullets that shoot to point of aim. I'm sure many here would critisize my choice--but I know I can hit a 6" target at 15 yards, so it'll do.

Can you say the same about the .380 pocket pistol? I used to carry a P32, but when I thought about the need to reliably hit a target--I changed.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I have....
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#16]
DPX
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have, and I also have a PM40...  Different day, different use.  

Yeah, my daily carry guns are P220, P226, 1911, and CZ-75. But I have J frames and P3ATs for certain occasions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Gibez:  I have the KelTek 3AT, essentially the same as your LCP.  I wanted something that I could carry easily in lighter summer clothes without some kind of holster or weight and bulk.  At only 9 ounces, both of those pocket pistols are great.

Don't let the other posters make you believe that a .45 is the only way to go.  Remember that most of the confrontation situations are quickly diffused when the perp realizes that his intended victim has a gun.  Unless he already has something pointed at you, he's not likely to politely inquire as to the caliber, rather just go away and pick someone else to threaten.

Further, the other post about supposedly needing sights seems a little useless in a close confrontational situation.  If the mugger is far enough away that you need sights, 1) you are less likely to be shooting at him, and 2) handgun accuracy is getting much more limited, and 3) are you really going to have enough time to aim, or is it reactive shooting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone carrying a .380 may find interest in this:

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm

He starts with .22lr and works his way up to .380.  His tests reveal: "Ball ammo tends to penetrate more that the JHP ammo in these guns, as expected. If you want the optimal 12 inches of penetration, maybe that is the best ammo available."

Link Posted: 8/16/2008 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a chance to kill some water jugs today. Distance was 10 feet, chrono was at five, jugs were six inches thick, 89 degrees 80% humidity.

WWB 95gr fmj  874 fps    18"+ penetration

Speer Gold Dot 90gr    924 fps   12"min.

Hornady XTP 90gr   920fps   12"min.

CorBon DPX 80gr   995fps   12"max.

Recovered weight:

GD 89.7, XTP 89.5, DPX 79.9.

I know it's not gel or flesh, but water is cheap.

I might have to re-think my previous recommendation.

L-R  XTP, GD, DPX

Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#22]
91 gr gold dot HP that I shot into a deers head a while back. I know not human and lots of bone.

I still would not want to get shot by it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
While I am completely against the HydraShok usually, it seems to be the best performer in .380 based on brassfetcher's testing. The simple truth in .380 is that:
1) Bullets that don't expand penetrate sufficiently, and
2) bullets that do expand fail to penetrate sufficiently.

Cor-Bon's DPX in .380 also fails to penetrate past 10". HydraShok expands slightly, and that allows it to penetrate the requisite 12".

Its funny that you mention that. In my informal testing of the .380 out of my Ruger LCP the 90 gr. Federal hydrashoks have worked the best too. They expand (but not very much) but end up it the third jug. The DPX is usually in the second, and ironically the Speer Gold Dot has been the most inconsistent. They have gone from being in the second jug to passing through all 5 because they did expand at all.

In my 9mm tests the Gold Dot has been one of the MOST consistent. Go figure.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#24]

gibez,
After much consideration I purchased an LCP primarily because I am a runner and cyclist and approximate weight of the loaded LCP (11oz) is half as light as the G26 and approximately the same stopping power as a .38spc +P (16oz).  But now I am thinking about abandoning the whole thing because of the stopping power, and just trying to get the 26 into some workable running gear that does not bounce all over the place.

The LCP and .38spc+P are considered back up guns, so which is better at stopping power?  If you look at the number for modern ammo the 380 is about the same or better.

I currently carry the LCP with Winchester 95gr. SXT JHP but a round like the Buffalobore sounds better.  Are there any opinions of the Buffalobore.com 380 referred to in this article?

Oh yea, if I knew I was going to be in a gun fight I would bring a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
gibez,
After much consideration I purchased an LCP primarily because I am a runner and cyclist and approximate weight of the loaded LCP (11oz) is half as light as the G26 and approximately the same stopping power as a .38spc +P (16oz).  But now I am thinking about abandoning the whole thing because of the stopping power, and just trying to get the 26 into some workable running gear that does not bounce all over the place.

The LCP and .38spc+P are considered back up guns, so which is better at stopping power?  If you look at the number for modern ammo the 380 is about the same or better.

I currently carry the LCP with Winchester 95gr. SXT JHP but a round like the Buffalobore sounds better.  Are there any opinions of the Buffalobore.com 380 referred to in this article?

Oh yea, if I knew I was going to be in a gun fight I would bring a rifle.

I would not shoot any of that super powerful Buffalo Bore stuff in a LCP/KelTec.

38spl+p is quite a bit more powerful than 380 and plenty of 38spl loads meet FBI minimums.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a friend that just retired after being a county sheriff for over 20 years. Once I saw him carrying a tiny .22 semi auto. I asked him about it. He said when it comes to getting shot, no one wants to. A .380 isn't my daily carry gun, but I have a P3AT and don't hesitate to carry it when I cannot carry something bigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry a p45 pm45 or pm9 depending on attire. I see nothing wrong with a 380 for sd. If thats what you have then thats what you have. We all cant conceal 44 mags. if it goes bang 5 times or more then I would say you have enough. If someone asks about ammo for a 380 tell them about ammo for a 380, don't come at them saying your gun is crap dont carry it. that is just ignorant. As far as 380 ammo the corbon dpx has been getting rave reviews.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I load Hydra-Shoks in my PPK/S  and have it as a back up to my 45acp CCO also stoked up with Hydra-Shoks. I will always reach for the 45 first, but trust that the PPK/S would do the trick if needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]
My .380 loves the 102 grain Golden Sabres
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My .380 loves the 102 grain Golden Sabres

This is the ammo I would like to know a little about I can never find any info on it in .380
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Some mentioned Buffalo Bore.  I was told separately by two techs at Ruger that the LCP CANNOT handle +p ammo.   Off the record, I was told that the gun WILL come apart.  It might not be in the first ten rounds, but who wants to find out how long it would last?

I settled on the Corbon DPX for my LCP.

As a cop I've seen lots of folks killed by the .380  I've also seen folks killed by .32, .25, .22, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Hello,
I'm not sure if it's on any shelves yet, but Hornady created a new load that has a rubber insert in the hollow point.  I saw it on Guns n' Ammo or another similar show a couple weeks ago.  I beleive it was called FTX or something to that extent.
I looked pretty good.
Take care
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I just watched it again, it's on Guns&Ammo TV.  It's a .380acp 90gr. FTX.  It penetrated a bit over 10" of clothed gelatin with great expansion.  
The FTX is being offered in .380acp, .38 special, .357 magnum, and 9mm.  
Other than that load, the hydra-shok and golden sabre are pretty good loads.  I would also recommend the Ranger and DPX, but they don't penetrate as well as the above loads.
Take care
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Remington Golden Sabers are my choice.  I saw some inf on the web that showed they meet the FBI criteria, but darned if I can find it again.  

I am actually pretty PO'd that that the Ranger T's did so poorly in testing.  I bought a case of them because T's are tops in every other caliber.  Oh well.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I thought I'd posted in this, but apparently not. And I'm sure everyone was waiting with bated breath for Wyzardds Words of Wisdom...

My Gvt.Mdl.380's feed Golden Sabre's better than some of the FMJ's I've stuck in them, never a FTE or FTF with them (unlike a certain aluminum using company I could name).

Yup, that's the sum total of my research. It feeds and functions reliably and hits to point of aim, so that's the stuff I chose. I'm glad to see other people recommending them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I use Corbon DPX's, Remington Golden Sabres and Speer Gold Dots in .380 ACP.

I could pretty much careless if my DPX's "only" penetrate 10 inches. Considering the fact that you only need mm's of penetration for a lethal shot, 10 inches is probably more than enough. Also, if you are engaging someone with a .380 ACP or any gun for that matter in civilian life, you have much bigger problems than your ammo being slighly shy of the FBI's reccomendations....

There are people here that act like a bullet that doesn't penetrate 12+ inches is tantamount to Nerf. Getting shot by something with .30 inches of penetration would really suck/hurt and be potentially lethal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Remington Golden Sabers are my choice.  I saw some inf on the web that showed they meet the FBI criteria, but darned if I can find it again.  

I am actually pretty PO'd that that the Ranger T's did so poorly in testing.  I bought a case of them because T's are tops in every other caliber.  Oh well.  

I have never seen a credible test showing this. could you post a link?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never seen a credible test showing this. could you post a link?

No.  Hence the "darned if I can find it again."  I have sifted through the posts on KTOG.ORG and can only find "wetpack" tests, or pot roast tests.  I would love to see a source with several of the top loads compared in gel tests with 4 layers of denim.  

Federal hydrashok, or PD rounds as they are now known, look good in some gel tests, but not consistently, and not standardized tests.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#41]
carry corbons in my ppk/s
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to carry Golden Sabre hollow points.  The more I thought about it the more I became concerned about penetration.  I now use FMJ ammo in my P3AT and my Bersa Thunder.  .380 is perfectly fine as a personal defense round in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top