Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:28:21 PM EDT
I seem to remember guys asking about 380's ability to puncture a car's tire.  Today I was breaking my LCP in and remembered the question.  

Winchester 95gr FMJ target ammo fired from and LCP will penetrate a car's tire.  I shot a Mitsubishi Eclipse tire from 7 yd in the tread and the side wall.  Both passed through into the air compartment.  The bullets remained intact with very little deforming of the jacket.

If I find a truck tire laying around, I will try it later on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 2:32:08 PM EDT
Was the tire inflated or flat?  If inflated was it to full typical tire pressure or obviously low on pressure?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 4:04:21 PM EDT
Useful information if I ever find myself being attacked by a rogue tire. A .22 also penetrates a tire.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 4:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 4:09:47 PM EDT by Texkaw]

So will my carpenter's awl, but I probably won't use that for self defense.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 4:24:39 PM EDT
I didn't see the thread you are referring to, but anyone who said that a .380 wouldn't penetrate a tire is so FOS, that they don't even deserve a response.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 5:20:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 5:21:10 PM EDT by Spikes08]
Let me just say now that I shot a raccoon from 10 feet away (4)... count'em (1,2,3,....yes 4) times with Hornday Critical Defense. Blood covered his stomach and the ground. He then proceeded to run 100 or so yards, hop a creek and disappear into the wilderness.

You will learn by doin .  I learned I want no part of a .380 for anything outside of a rogue car tire
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:31:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spikes08:
Let me just say now that I shot a raccoon from 10 feet away (4)... count'em (1,2,3,....yes 4) times with Hornday Critical Defense. Blood covered his stomach and the ground. He then proceeded to run 100 or so yards, hop a creek and disappear into the wilderness.

You will learn by doin .  I learned I want no part of a .380 for anything outside of a rogue car tire

from my own unscientific hollowpoint vs. water tests i have concluded that hornady HPs suck. furthermore,  you must have missed 3 times and grazed his stomach on the 4th because i cant believe that is possible if you shot 4 95gr bullets into the chest cavity of a critter that weighs no more than 6-8 pounds for it to scurry off like it had somewhere more important to be.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:49:55 PM EDT
Well lets just say the tire was a bit lower on the second shot.  

The post was from a while back in the carry forum.  Something about shooting a tire out on a car full of zombies or a crazy person.  Not my cup of tea.

Coons are tough SOBs!  I shot one at 10yd with M9 with 115 fmj, he ran his happy ass another 15yd till he got a few more.  Boy am I glad we have not seen coon insurgents yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:51:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By morningwood1429:
from my own unscientific hollowpoint vs. water tests i have concluded that hornady HPs suck. furthermore,  you must have missed 3 times and grazed his stomach on the 4th because i cant believe that is possible if you shot 4 95gr bullets into the chest cavity of a critter that weighs no more than 6-8 pounds for it to scurry off like it had somewhere more important to be.

If the coon's where he lives are anything like the coon's here in Texas I believe that it could take a lot of punishment (maybe not 4 95gr .380hp's but I believe a lot).  On a simular note, my father hired an old Houston PD officer who did get into a shooting with his issued .380.  He shot through a windshield of a car and hit the guy in the forehead.  Looked into the car and saw a trickle of blood and the guy slumped over in the driver's seat.  He called in the shooting and while on the radio with dispatch he saw the guy get out of his car, and start stumbling around in traffic.  Turns out the slug didn't penetrate the skull, it just lodged under the skin and knocked him out...was just a flesh wound.  He had no perminant damage from being shot in the forehead with a .380.  Grant it that the round did go through a car windshield (safety glass) first...but still.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:54:42 PM EDT
Jeez.. give the OP a break.  Maybe not a scientific test but interesting and I like the idea of folks actually trying something out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 6:57:13 PM EDT by fishngrits]
.380 will ricochet off the side of a dumpster, from about 15 yards.  I've seen it happen.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:00:15 PM EDT
What if that tire is inflated and rotating at highway speeds?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:02:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spook410:
Jeez.. give the OP a break.  Maybe not a scientific test but interesting and I like the idea of folks actually trying something out.

I agree with this.  I also think shooting animals for fun is sad.  I admit, when I was a kid I did the same, but then I grew up a bit and learned to respect our fellow earth dwellers.  If your going to eat it fine, but just for fun?  Would you want to be shot 4 times in the stomach with a .380 for no reason?  Was he eating from your watermelon patch or what?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:05:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KCabbage:

I agree with this.  I also think shooting animals for fun is sad.  I admit, when I was a kid I did the same, but then I grew up a bit and learned to respect our fellow earth dwellers.  If your going to eat it fine, but just for fun?  Would you want to be shot 4 times in the stomach with a .380 for no reason?  Was he eating from your watermelon patch or what?

I live in the city now...but when I was on the farm Coon's were a real problem for some people.  They are creatures of habbit and opportunity.  They get into your garbage once (or your feed barn), and if you shoo them away they just keep coming back cause they know easy food is around.  The only way to stop it is to kill them, then they can't come back and keep tearing up your stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:40:38 PM EDT
I think I will pass on the spinning highway test.  I am willing to shoot other targets of your imagination in the back yard, but I draw the line on moving vehicular targets.  

I agree with the coon problem on the farm, we do not allow them to live here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:47:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 7:48:36 PM EDT by REDMASTA]

Wow you're either a shitty shot, the racoon was on PCP or it was really lucky. Ive killed my share of racoons with a .22 so I would imagine a .380 from that distance would do the same.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:38:41 PM EDT
I've hit a racoon several times with a .22, and it sure pissed him off.  They are pretty tough.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2010 10:31:33 PM EDT by GaryM]
Sidewall or tread area?

oops,
reading is fundamental.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:46:04 PM EDT
Thanks OP.
Originally Posted By REDMASTA:

Wow you're either a shitty shot, the racoon was on PCP or it was really lucky. Ive killed my share of racoons with a .22 so I would imagine a .380 from that distance would do the same.

hahaha holy shit the pcp line made me
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:52:38 AM EDT
Maybe he found a bag that some kids mom threw away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:34:33 AM EDT
Well I shot a 25 pound raccoon just a few days ago with a single subsonic CCI 22lr from (gasp) 50 yards away.  Flooped over on his back and twitched a bit before he died.  I guess that subsonic 22 must be a hell of a lot more powerful than a .380.

Thanks to the OP for shooting the tire and telling us about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:31:52 AM EDT
Some of you city boys would be suprised with what can be killed with a .22, and how quickly it will die.

I've done extensive little critter hunting (lots of coon hunting) with nothing more than a .22 Huntsman or my .22 Mag Taurus revolver.

Shot placement is key.......funny, I've heard that before....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:49:04 AM EDT

I agree 100%, anybody who would shoot an animal just for the heck of it is a sorry bastard.  Any living creature is a miracle of God's work and should be treated as such.  Some animals should be killed for food (cows, pigs, etc.), some animals are game animals and we hunt them to eat (deer, doves), some animals are varmints and need to be killed (coyotes, wolves) but all of the rest need to be left the hell alone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 11:49:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stinson342:

I agree 100%, anybody who would shoot an animal just for the heck of it is a sorry bastard.  Any living creature is a miracle of God's work and should be treated as such.  Some animals should be killed for food (cows, pigs, etc.), some animals are game animals and we hunt them to eat (deer, doves), some animals are varmints and need to be killed (coyotes, wolves) but all of the rest need to be left the hell alone.

A raccoon falls under that varmint "needs to be killed" category when they kill your chickens and tear into the side of your house to find a place to live.  Was killing for fun even mentioned?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 11:49:19 AM EDT

MEEOOOOW....
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 1:53:56 PM EDT

Generally speaking, I think HPs are a bad idea in 380 anyway.  You're more likely to get sufficient penetration with 380 if you use FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 2:12:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
Some of you city boys would be suprised with what can be killed with a .22, and how quickly it will die.

I've done extensive little critter hunting (lots of coon hunting) with nothing more than a .22 Huntsman or my .22 Mag Taurus revolver.

This. I knew a guy when I was a kid that poached deer with a .22.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 2:42:24 PM EDT

There is a definite difference between shooting an animal for fun vs. for food/nuisance removal. At my work, racoons, fox, and coyotes are to be shot on sight. Not only do they terrorize the barns but they reduce the populations of some animals we have around. Also, unless we are hunting them at night, they are nocturnal animals and we really shouldn't see them in the daytime, therefore there must be something wrong with them, which is another reason to not have them around the the farm. Granted when we shoot them, we use rifles or shotguns (depends on distance or what we get to first) not handguns.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 3:18:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xb_nut:

MEEOOOOW....

MEOOOOW to you too!  I have shot many feral cats that I've seen while hunting far away from populated areas, but I have a good ol' kitty cat that has lived with us (INSIDE our house, BTW) for almost 14 years now.  I love cats but will not hesitate a second to kill one that has gone feral.  Same way with coons, if he's minding his own business it's OK.  We have a huge coon that likes to come and sit under our bird feeder and eat sunflower seeds all night and that's cool with me.  The kids enjoy watching him and he doesn't hurt anything, but if he ever starts with the trash cans he's dead.  I agree that almost any animal can becone a varmint but we should leave them alone until they do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 3:53:06 PM EDT
My 40SW ricochet off a dumpster at about that distance... I was
Originally Posted By fishngrits:
.380 will ricochet off the side of a dumpster, from about 15 yards.  I've seen it happen.    

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2010 4:57:55 PM EDT by M4_man_223]
Well this thread inspired me..... I shot a 10 ply 35" BFG all terrain from my jeep with my lcp today and it did not fair so well. 95 grain UMC. Stopped it dead in its tracks. I shot it with my 9mm 115grn blazer and it went straight through and almost through again. I will test some more this weekend.

edit: keep in mind that is one tough tire...
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:08:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hurricanekev:

A commercial dumpster is pretty tough so i'm really not all that surprised.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2010 5:14:32 PM EDT by fishngrits]

Originally Posted By hurricanekev:

I'll see your

, and raise you

I was just stating useless info, like the OP.  

If I'm ever attacked by inflated tires, or commercial dumpsters, at least I'll be fully informed.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:38:23 PM EDT

I am saddened by this.... Raccoons are destructive creatures of habit.. But up here in the north country when fur is prime.. They make nice fur hats and coats if you shoot enough of them.. Try raising birds,chickens,ducks,turkeys,quail,phesants,g­uieneas, etc.  have those bastard animals raid the nest and eat all eggs or chicks then tell me how damn great they are...
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:21:12 PM EDT

Holy shit did I log in on the wrong web page???  Raccoons are far from innocent little creatures.  Put down the Disney DVDs and get out in the woods now and then.  The OP is talking about testing the 380s performance and someone contributes a story about plugging a coon and the emotions start pouring out.  Wow!  How do you know that the said 380 latent running coon was not eating his prize rooster?
Wow!
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:33:41 PM EDT
If it moves, shoot it. Gods/owners  problem then.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:42:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By autumnsong:
Well I shot a 25 pound raccoon just a few days ago with a single subsonic CCI 22lr from (gasp) 50 yards away.  Flooped over on his back and twitched a bit before he died.  I guess that subsonic 22 must be a hell of a lot more powerful than a .380.

Thanks to the OP for shooting the tire and telling us about it.

+1

Except I shot a raccoon a few months ago with a single .22lr. It also flooped over, twitched and then died.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:07:56 PM EDT
Useful information if I ever find myself being attacked by a rogue tire. A .22 also penetrates a tire.

Always Remember:  Approach Any/All Tires as armed and Dangerous!!!––You NEVER know what they are up to!!!

And thanks to the op for the info!!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:20:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:54:01 PM EDT
Well, I am just checkin back on this here thread and.........  For the record the raccoon was shot at my farm and they have destroyed several corn feeders and generally eat 1pd of corn per day. I have been in a deer stand and watch one eat for an hour.

Now as to the shot placement, let me break that down for ya

The first shot knocked the raccoon out of the tree. He was about 5 yards away and about 5 to 6 feet up. (Say eye level).  The second shot I was even closer and shot him at the base of the tree, he never saw me. Then he ran towards me to about 3 feet, still hasnt seen me. he raises up on his back legs and looked around and at his stomach area, which was covered in blood.  I was some what scared at that point, So I drew down and shot him in again in the body. Why the body? Because it was the biggest target I had and the sights on the LCP are not the best, but sufficient.  Now the raccoon has made some tracks in to a near by bush. I dont want him to suffer, so I creep up real close and shoot him again. He makes a break for it. At this point I am speechless

Now as to my capabilities with with the Ruger LCP. I can and have shot holes through the top and bottom of coke cans from 10 yards away. The little gun is accurate. However in this case I saw that it was not what I needed should this have been an aggressive, motivated, doped up attacker. Pistol was sold the next day.

I cant tell you what to carry and I will not bash the .380, I was its biggest proponent for the longest. I told every one interested in CCW to get an LCP. I later called them and apologized for giving them advice that could have got them killed.

This is merely one man's data point on the internet. Your mileage may very.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 6:40:55 AM EDT
Why dont you reread my post before you get your pannies in a bunch  If you have a predator depleting your resources then by all means do what you have to do.  It's the mindless killing I don't like.  Get it?  Plus, do you really need a coon hat?

I have seen and chatted with quite a few raccoons (and other varmints for that matter) in my days and I have yet to meet one of vicious nature.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:40:58 AM EDT
Enough with damn coon talk.  Take it to the Gen or Hunting forum.

I am not surprised with the 35 inch tires, anti puncture is there strong point.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 12:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2010 6:16:09 PM EDT by winxlite]

A 9mm, .357 Mag, or 5.56FMJ will not likely do much better unless you hit the CNS or the heart.  While fairly tough, a raccoon and similar sized animals don't have enough mass to upset/fragment a bullet designed for larger things(My theory).
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:07:38 PM EDT

You are unfamiliar with the raccoon and it's prowess as a bullet sponge. I'm not making light here, either. They are tough.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:08:41 PM EDT

Dumpster? Parts of those are 1/4" or thicker steel. No kidding it will ricochet off of one. A .45 would too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:12:58 PM EDT

Back in the 70's, people would drive down my Dad's street and drop off stray dogs. The pounds just put 'em down after inhumane living conditions for a while, and my Dad couldn't keep all of them. He would take them on a walk, give them some food, and double-tap them in the head with a .22 Colt Woodsman. They fell face-first into the food not knowing anything had ever happened. Very humane.

Then one day, my Dad buys a .357 Magnum. 6" barrel. Anyways, stray dog is dropped off again, and he takes the .357 out to do the job. Same thing, animal is woofing down food enjoying itself, and my Dad takes careful aim and BANG. Dog falls into it's food. Then it gets up and runs off. Felt horrible about it. Anyways, he killed it a day later with the .22. I don't recall where he hit it, but it's hard to miss at point-blank range on a stationary target, and my father is a respectable shot. Especially from 5-6 feet away.

Animals do strange things. Both 2 and 4 legged kinds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:03:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 12_gauge:

Dumpster? Parts of those are 1/4" or thicker steel. No kidding it will ricochet off of one. A .45 would too.
I know.  About as surprising as shooting a tire with a .380, and having it penetrate.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:13:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JosieWales:

Always Remember:  Approach Any/All Tires as armed and Dangerous!!!––You NEVER know what they are up to!!!

And thanks to the op for the info!!  

Very good advice.

We can never underestimate this threat..................................................
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:53:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 12_gauge:

Back in the 70's, people would drive down my Dad's street and drop off stray dogs. The pounds just put 'em down after inhumane living conditions for a while, and my Dad couldn't keep all of them. He would take them on a walk, give them some food, and double-tap them in the head with a .22 Colt Woodsman. They fell face-first into the food not knowing anything had ever happened. Very humane.

Then one day, my Dad buys a .357 Magnum. 6" barrel. Anyways, stray dog is dropped off again, and he takes the .357 out to do the job. Same thing, animal is woofing down food enjoying itself, and my Dad takes careful aim and BANG. Dog falls into it's food. Then it gets up and runs off. Felt horrible about it. Anyways, he killed it a day later with the .22. I don't recall where he hit it, but it's hard to miss at point-blank range on a stationary target, and my father is a respectable shot. Especially from 5-6 feet away.

Animals do strange things. Both 2 and 4 legged kinds.

Please tell you dad I won't be able to make it over to his house tonight for dinner
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:34:08 AM EDT

Yes....let us pray.  

Gimme a break, cityboy. If you don't know what pests coons are then you have led a sheltered life. Get real.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:53:49 AM EDT
I spent quite a bit of my childhood on a farm in Blair,  NE.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top