Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:25 PM EDT

I dont think i did too bad considering its only the second time shooting it, and it being the second semiauto to shoot.

What do you guys think. (no bragging just want to seeking means of improvement .)

Oh target was shot at about 25ft.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
At 7 yards (21feet), the shoots should all be in the red and 9 ring, and maybe an occassional 8. What stance are you using?  Weaver? Isosceles?  I shoot Isoceles now.  Was shooting low 80% using the Weaver, but since switching to the Isoceles 4 years ago, I'm shooting 99-100% on qualification now.  Looks to me you are trying to anticipate the shot going off (jerking) and not focusing on your front sights.  Line up the sights, center mass.  Once you do that, focus on the front sights.  The front sights should be crystal clear, and the background (target) should be hazy/fuzzy.  If the background (target) is clear, you are not using the sights and are trying to see where your shots are going onto the target just before pulling the trigger.  Only use the tip of your trigger finger.  When you pull back on the trigger, it should be one fluid motion, and each shot should be a surprise.  If you anticipate the shot going off, you will throw your shots off.  For longer range shots, breathing is important too.  I exhale as I squeeze the trigger on 15yards +.  This has helped me out tremendously.  There are plenty of material on the Internet to help you out too.  Having a proficient shooter at your side is alot better though.

I just shot my first Sig 220 today. Wow! Are all 220s tack drivers??  I think it shoots better than my Para-Ordnance Tac Four.  At 25 yards, I'm making head shots on a man-sized target, and I was shooting Wolf ammo too.  Just have a proficient shooter give you pointers and look up some reference material and apply it on the range.  Enjoy your Sig 220, I know I will.  This is one gun I plan on keeping.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
All 220s are tack drivers. I love mine. Shoot more. From your target, if you are right handed I'd say you might be "heel" pushing or using too much tirgger finger and pulling your shots to the left and up.

The couple of shots that are in the white, toward the bottom of the target you may have "pushed" the gun
down in anticipation of the recoil (subconsciously)

The 220 is capable of putting a whole box of 50 rds into a half dollar sized hole (or smaller) right through the center of the X.

Fundamentals: sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze and practice, practice and more practice.....

Congrats! You have one of the BEST pistols of all time ever made!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Carter:

I shoot my Sig 220 far better than any other .45 that I have ever owned. I suspect that these guys are right, you are anticipating the shot too much and probably jerking the trigger. If you like and have MSN messenger my username is "[email protected]". Drop me a message and I'll talk you through it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The P220 is an interesting firearm.  I think it takes a while to get used to that trigger.  Honetly, I think you need to practice more.  From 10 yards I keep everything inside the 8-ring easily.  The P220 is easily capable of shooting clay pigeons from 25 yards all day long.  Once you become really proficient it'll turn into your favorite pistol, trust me on that.  By the way, my 220 likes Blazer Brass and Wolf ammo a lot.  They're both very accurate and reliable through mine.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are shooting right handed that target indicates a flinch (anticipating recoil or a BANG) on almost every shot .....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
looks like mine first time out . much better now !!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I took a beginner's shooting class, and it helped me a lot.  I had never had any formal training.

Took me a while to find this... Might help you figure out what you are doing.  Looks like you are all over the page, so you may have multiple things happening.  I presume you are a right-handed shooter.

+1 on having somebody you know who shoots well watch what you are doing.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The P-220 is one hell of a .45 - I agree with others that the trigger needs some getting used to, (especially for 1911 or glock guys)  - Some more slow fire practice and you will group all those in the red and 9 ring.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem when I first started.  2 things solved the problem for me.  #1 was having the aforementioned knowledgable friend watch.  #2 was a ball and dummy drill.  If your not familiar it involves purchasing some "snap caps" (plastic bullets that don't go "bang") and having someone load a few randomly into your mag.  When you get to one of those snap caps and go to fire you can immediately see if you are jerking the weapon.  Worked wonders for me.  I still do that drill on occassion to check myself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had the same problem when I first started.  2 things solved the problem for me.  #1 was having the aforementioned knowledgable friend watch.  #2 was a ball and dummy drill.  If your not familiar it involves purchasing some "snap caps" (plastic bullets that don't go "bang") and having someone load a few randomly into your mag.  When you get to one of those snap caps and go to fire you can immediately see if you are jerking the weapon.  Worked wonders for me.  I still do that drill on occassion to check myself.

+1

If you have a few magazines, just mix the snap caps in, and then mix up the mags.  That is a really good way to see what you are doing when you fire.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My 220ST is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't get used to this gun, at least I haven't yet.  I have used nothing but a Beretta 92FS for the last 10 years, that probably has something to do with it he  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Practice more!

I think ya did well for the what second time with the gun! Remember sqeeze slow and try to hold still!

I remember my First time with my old COMBAT ELITE 45acp I think my target was worse!
until I got use to the Extra Lite trigger!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top