Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 12:29:23 PM EDT
The Glock 19 is the perfect carry package, but some times it seems like something smaller would be better.

So I bought a 26.

I seldom ever carry the 26 though because in reality it doesn't carry that much better.

Yes, do to the reduced grip length, it prints a little less, but at the cost of the perfectly comfortable grip of the 19. So many people just add the extended floor plates, which then make the gun print almost like a 19, but you carry fewer rounds and have a shorter sight radius.

So, is the small gain in concealability that a 26 has worth the costs of going to a subcompact that doesn't really carry any better than a 19?

I say no most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The only time I carry my 26 as a primary is when I go to the beach or wear a suit. I don't get in the water here so I generally wear cargo shorts and a tank top to the beach. I carry it IWB. Once I get there I can transfer it to a bag when I take my shirt off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
For my um "Husky" build I can carry and conceal a 19 just as easily in a good holster, might be helpful for people of slimmer build to have that shorter butt. Really the frame thickness makes the biggest difference in carry guns in my opinion, we need that slim frame single stack 9mm design that they don't seem to want to produce.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are none of the "Yes" voters telling us why?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly for me it's a simple as being what I own personally.

I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 for duty use, and a Gen 4 Glock 27 for off duty carry.

Could I carry a 23/19 sized gun off duty? Sure I could.

Do I feel like my 27 is lacking, or that I am poorly armed? Not at all.

For me, buying a 23 really won't solve any particular issue. I'd rather have the full size for on duty use, and I'm perfectly effective with the 27 for off duty.

YMMV of course. But yes, a 19/23 is perfectly concealable. So is a 26/27.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For me, buying a 23 really won't solve any particular issue. I'd rather have the full size for on duty use, and I'm perfectly effective with the 27 for off duty.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fully understand your reasoning but it doesn't meet the poll criteria.

You are comparing a full size vs a subcompact. So of course a subcompact has an advantage. This poll is asking is the subcompact a big enough benefit over the COMPACT to negate the shortcomings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not any issues with carrying my 19.  Almost went for a 26 but chose to stay with the 5 extra round capacity for the minimal trade off.

Use a Remora holster with sweat guard as it is usually toasty here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are comparing a full size vs a subcompact. So of course a subcompact has an advantage. This poll is asking is the subcompact a big enough benefit over the COMPACT to negate the shortcomings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as choosing a subcompact vs the compact if I could only have one, it would be the 19. For the reasons listed in the OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Couldn't agree more.

In fact, and I have all of the 9mm Glocks (and multiples of all but the 26), if I had it all to do over again all of my 9mm Glocks would be either 19s or 34s -- I would skip the 26, 17, and 17L completely.

Again, YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... As far as choosing a subcompact vs the compact if I could only have one, it would be the 19. For the reasons listed in the OP.

Couldn't agree more.

In fact, and I have all of the 9mm Glocks (and multiples of all but the 26), if I had it all to do over again all of my 9mm Glocks would be either 19s or 34s -- I would skip the 26, 17, and 17L completely.

Again, YMMV.

I have a 26, 19, 17, and a 34. You are correct that the 19 and 34 are all that I need, but I like the idea of owning the whole set of 9mm guns so I will eventually get a 17L.

I did have a gen 2 19 also but sold it when I need money during my lay off in 2009. I really wish I hadn't, it was a cop trade in that I got for $300 though and I was offerd $435 for it and needed the cash. I miss that gun.

My Gen 2 17 (also a cop trade in) spends most of it's time as a 22lr though with an advantage arms kit. Maybe I should just sell it and get a frame for the 22lr kit.

I've been thinking of selling the 26 and getting a 42.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I defiantly love the 19. But I like the 26 a lot because it can be carried in a pocket, on the ankle or on the belt. It is very versatile.  As far as on the belt carry it also doesn't print as much as a 19 would if it prints at all.  IWB carry it probably is a toss between what works for your body type.  They are both great guns.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well I defiantly love the 19. But I like the 26 a lot because it can be carried in a pocket, on the ankle or on the belt. It is very versatile.  As far as on the belt carry it also doesn't print as much as a 19 would if it prints at all.  IWB carry it probably is a toss between what works for your body type.  They are both great guns.
View Quote

For ankle carry I prefer my S&W 342.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock 19, the perfect handgun!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I primarily carry a 19 for conceal carry use after initially using a 26.  Switched to the 19 because there is no noticeable printing difference between the two for me. I appendix carry the 19 with a TLR-1HL on it.  Granted I am 6'2 225 with little to no gut so it doesn't dig into my skin.  I found for me I can carry more rounds and have a weapon mounted light while having close to the same comfort level and print factor.  I do miss my 26 for when I am wearing gym shorts and am going to workout or making a quick run to the store.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
To me, I felt the Glock 17 and 19 were very similar in CCW....so I sold the G19.

That having been said, I feel like the difference you felt between the G19 and G26 was similar to my above sentiment....I do believe the Glock 17 vs 26 would be a good carry option (say summer and winter).
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you can tell by the way the OP phrased the question that he's already decided the 19 is better. If I've learned anything from this forum it's that there's no sense trying to argue with a 19'er.........
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because you can tell by the way the OP phrased the question that he's already decided the 19 is better. If I've learned anything from this forum it's that there's no sense trying to argue with a 19'er.........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the tech forum, regardless of my bias, your opinion means something here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Fair enough, to me the 26/27 does carry better for the times when total concealment is the driving factor. I use the GAP plates, which give me a good grip without adding any length. The subcompacts are also lighter than the mid-size guns and this makes a noticeable difference to me over the course of a full day (and yes, I use a good belt). The fewer rounds and shorter sight radius don't concern me a bit. I actually carry a 5-shot snubbie on a regular occasion, so having 10 rounds in my 27 is all good.

I also don't find the grip of the 19/23 all that comfortable - I fit two fingers on the 26/27 or three fingers on the 17/22, which means my three fingers get pinched a little on the 19/23 sized grip.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#19]
26 all day for me........where I carry (appendix approx 1:30-2pm) the extra length of the 19 did not work when sitting down in car, etc
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm looking to buy my first Glock and it of course came down to the 19 vs 26. A friend has allowed me to try out both his 19 and 26 at the range, and to try out carrying around the house. The 26 will be my first Glock.

I shoot it just as well as the 19, and it points much more naturally for me for some reason. I voted yes in the poll even though IMO the question is somewhat erroneous. There's more than just a slight difference between the two, in fact it's huge. For me, the 26 is just far easier to conceal than the 19.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#21]
In my case, I was buying two glocks for CC. The gen3 G26 was cheaper than the 19, so I saved $100 dollars.

I have Pearson gip extensions w/+2. I wire wheeled the bottom finger groove lip off and I'm very happy with the choice. I carry it IWB kidney, even when golfing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#22]
To me, if you take a Glock 19 and tweak the design slightly so that it is different and not as good as the 19, you get the Glock 26.

If I want shootability or capacity, the 19 wins out. Concealability and weight IMO is just about a draw between the 19 and 26

If I want more concealability or less weight than the 19, Shield and other guns of similar size to the Shield are even better yet.

I find the 26 to be a good gun, but for whatever purpose I need it for, another gun does it better.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To me, if you take a Glock 19 and tweak the design slightly so that it is different and not as good as the 19, you get the Glock 26.

If I want shootability or capacity, the 19 wins out. Concealability and weight IMO is just about a draw between the 19 and 26

If I want more concealability or less weight than the 19, Shield and other guns of similar size to the Shield are even better yet.

I find the 26 to be a good gun, but for whatever purpose I need it for, another gun does it better.

View Quote

To me, if you add a little grip to the 26, a little barrel length, and now put it in a class where there is plenty of competition, you have the not as good glock 19

shootability is just as good on 26, some people shoot it better........if I want more capacity, I pop in a 15rd 19 mag and wah lahhhhh......hands down I now have the more universal firearm

If I want more concealability AND capacity, the shield / XDS  only have a SLIGHT advantage in width with less rounds....guess what, with phones as big as the Iphone 6 plus, nobody is going to pay any attention to the slightest bit of "bulk" at your waist, which the G26 on most does not print at all...... I went from an XDS 9mm to the G26.....3 more rounds, various size mag offerings, and I naturally point a double stack weapon better then a single stack

I find the 19 to be good gun, but if was buying a compact that size there are other offerings I would go with first such as the XDM compact

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I prefer the G26 actually. If I could only have one handgun, it would be the G26. Easy to conceal in just about any situation, and if you want more firepower in a certain situation you can just pop in a 15, 17, or 33 round magazine.

I had a G26, G19, and G17, all gen 3. I recently just traded off the G19 because I love the full size G17, and I carry the G26 most often. For me the G19 was just stuck in the middle and rarely came out of the safe.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Get both. There are times when I can easily carry the 26 but the 19 would print badly. I carry a 19 most of the time, usually AIWB. If I could only have one, I would keep the 19 and just dress around it a little more.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#26]
G19...IMO G26 takes much but gives little in the comparison.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I prefer the G19.  It's just right for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

To me, if you add a little grip to the 26, a little barrel length, and now put it in a class where there is plenty of competition, you have the not as good glock 19

shootability is just as good on 26, some people shoot it better........if I want more capacity, I pop in a 15rd 19 mag and wah lahhhhh......hands down I now have the more universal firearm

If I want more concealability AND capacity, the shield / XDS  only have a SLIGHT advantage in width with less rounds....guess what, with phones as big as the Iphone 6 plus, nobody is going to pay any attention to the slightest bit of "bulk" at your waist, which the G26 on most does not print at all...... I went from an XDS 9mm to the G26.....3 more rounds, various size mag offerings, and I naturally point a double stack weapon better then a single stack

I find the 19 to be good gun, but if was buying a compact that size there are other offerings I would go with first such as the XDM compact

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you compare weight, size and capacity, the 19 is just about the perfect gun.  It may have some competitors but it has no equals!  
I would never have an XD or XDM.  That tiny little grip safety will screw you if you need the gun and don't have a perfect grip.
I have a 26 but rarely shoot it. I keep it around just to remind myself that I am not missing anything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes my only option is ankle carry. For those times ( or when in wearing a very tight t shirt) a G26 is the best answer. And by G26 I mean no extended magazine or pierce extension . If it doesn't fall into those two catagorizes, then a G19 is the best option - at least for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I voted yes.
I have both and on occasion I carry both - just because I can

G26 With regular mag the shorter grip frame and shorter barrel can be pocket carried ( I use a slip in pocket holster ) in loose fitting jeans or shorts . I cannot do that with my 19 . Not ever.

Even with the pinky +1 mag extension , you say it prints almost as much as a 19, the key is almost , the 26 is still better for concealment. I have a crossbreed supertuk and my 26 can be carried without fear of printing

I carry often and my job requires "business casual" attire. Many times I carry in non-permissive areas.

I love my 19 , but I do really love my 26 for concealment.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
26s rule the world!!         but I still plan on buying a 19.........a 21 first, then 19
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
26 all day for me........where I carry (appendix approx 1:30-2pm) the extra length of the 19 did not work when sitting down in car, etc
View Quote

Came here to say this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Had both, the G26 was an early S/N and was made like a jewel. I was leaving the G19 home and carrying the 26 all the time. I gave the 19 to a friend and kept the 26. My 26 with two Sigs were stolen from my home a month ago. I replaced the Glock with a new G23 that is flawless. I won't replace the Sigs, P229 & P225 but will look for an older 26. 5 less rd's and the beveled nose make the 26 a lot lighted then the 19. I really did shoot the 26 better then the 19, but find the new 23 to be the most accurate. Go figger. Best solution is to have both.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I've carried many different Glock models over the years.  From a 27 to a 21 (not SF).  When I carry a 9mm, it's a 19.  My opinion is the 19 is the most bang for the package size.

An earlier post nailed: the thickness is the hardest part about concealing either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#35]
A 26 is all I need, carries well. Actually wish it was a little smaller even, for the 4:30 position sitting in a vehicle, but it gets by.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As far as choosing a subcompact vs the compact if I could only have one, it would be the 19. For the reasons listed in the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, if I could only choose one, it'd be the 26.  Toss a mag extension on there for general use, but in those occasions where dress dictates you need a shorter grip, put the flush mag back on.

OP - I have a 19 and a 26.  I carry the 26 more than the 19, but both have their place.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top