Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 3:53:01 PM EDT
Until I actually get around to mounting my Dillon on my bench I have been limited to using factory ammo to shoot matches.
I had been buying Remington 230gr ball from CTD at about $10.00 per box of 50.
Last Saturday they were out, so I picked up some Fiochi 230gr ball for the same price.
I had sighted in my pistol for dead on at 25 yards- the range the falling plates are. The Remington had been hitting center of the plate.
I started shooting the match and was missing several plates in each string. It was hard to tell where at first since it was raining and the plates blended in with the berm behind them. Then we noticed I was hitting very low. I started aiming at the top of the plates and hit pretty much in the center.

My question is- is the Fiochi ammo that much hotter than the Remington?
That is all I could think of to account for the difference.

I am going to start handloads ASAP with some 185gr lead bullets with a slightly mild load of Unique so I know I'll have to adjust the sights, but the Fiochi surprised me. It even felt hotter- more recoil.

Thanks,
Jim

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I must have shot a dozen different 230 gr factory loads through three different 5" 1911's. Not only did each gun have a slightly different POA\POI, but each different ammo shot a little differently through the same gun. There was enough of a difference at 25 yards to miss Bianchi plates with one brand, but hit them with another.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am sure the Fiocchi is hotter than the Remington, but I would not think it was so much hotter that it changed the POI that much, even at 25yd....'course I could be wrong. Shoot some from a padded rest and compare it to the Remington. My guess would be that about half of the POI shift is ammo and the other half you. Not a slam on you, but my hunch is that it had something to do with your follow-through...doesn't take much at 25yd. or beyond, especially when shooting fast.

It may have been something I did, but... The felt recoil was more and once I saw where I was hitting and changed my point of aim I hit well enough to win the match. With the Remington I aimed at the center of the plate. With the Fiochi I had to aim at the top edge.
The plates are 8" steel plates so the point of aim was changed 4" at 25 yards.

I also noticed 3 empty cases were banged up pretty badly on the case mouth, which I have never noticed before. The case mouth was gouged in 2 places on opposite sides where it was slammed into the front of the ejection port.

I don't have a chrony, and felt recoil is very subjective, but the felt recoil, plus hitting low, plus the cases lead me to believe the Fiochi is hotter. Is it hotter enough to account for this?

I plan on comparing both in slow fire at a bullseye target to check point of impact. I have about 7 rounds of the Remington UMC left.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Since the ammunition is loaded to a velocity point within allowable pressure, how you get to the velocity point can become important.
These loads likely use powders of different burning rates.  
A faster rate will get the bullet up to speed faster, resulting in a different felt recoil and POI.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have always been told that each and every gun is an individual with individual tastes and preferences in regards ammunition.

It also took me a long time to accept this. But now I have.

I used to know several Bullseye shooters who nearly fanatically swore by Federal Match .45 in their competition guns. Of cours this was second to their favorite hand rolled pet loads.

It is good but not good enought to justify the price, at least in any of my guns.

I am one of those sickos , not a litterbug mind you, who likes to shoot cheap-full pop cans at 25 yards.

Guess what my favorite and more than accurate enough ammo is....you got it  winchester white box.

I have tries several brands of hardball in my favorite Kimber and haven't noticed enough difference in POA vs POI to mention.

The only thing I have noticed worth mentioning, lacking a chronograph, is the lower velocity rounds, judged by felt recoil, tend to print a tad high.

I have yet to find any factory ammo that wouldn't  tear hell out of a B27 target at 50 paces.

TIJMOSPTIFWIW........
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have always been told that each and every gun is an individual with individual tastes and preferences in regards ammunition.

It also took me a long time to accept this. But now I have.

I used to know several Bullseye shooters who nearly fanatically swore by Federal Match .45 in their competition guns. Of cours this was second to their favorite hand rolled pet loads.

It is good but not good enought to justify the price, at least in any of my guns.

I am one of those sickos , not a litterbug mind you, who likes to shoot cheap-full pop cans at 25 yards.

Guess what my favorite and more than accurate enough ammo is....you got it  winchester white box.

I have tries several brands of hardball in my favorite Kimber and haven't noticed enough difference in POA vs POI to mention.

The only thing I have noticed worth mentioning, lacking a chronograph, is the lower velocity rounds, judged by felt recoil, tend to print a tad high.

I have yet to find any factory ammo that wouldn't  tear hell out of a B27 target at 50 paces.

TIJMOSPTIFWIW........

Higher velocity in a handgun will have a lower point of impact since the bullet leaves the barrel sooner in the muzzle flip. Slower ammo will print higher.
It is the opposite in a rifle.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top