Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 8:19:04 AM EDT
Which would you pick?  And before everyone starts, it's not about what am I using it for, what is it's intended purspose, etc. since both guns are intended for similar uses.  It's about which one YOU personally would pick.  It would be nice if you'd include an explanation of why as well.

Yost-Bonitz 1* Enhanced $1445

or

Rock River Arms Basic Carry $1525
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I am thinking about selling my Kimber TLE/RL II to fund a *1 or a Berryhill MEU(SOC) replica.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
burrito, you know how much I love Yost-Bonitz, but I am going to have to recommend the RRA here. It comes with a new barrel and checkering, and some have Heinie sights. If you want that on a YoBo gun, you will pay a little more and wait 4 months or so.

ETA: If you are willing to do some adding and subtracting, the YoBo might be a better deal. I am ordering another, I'll post pics in a few months. Delete the lanyard loop and add serrations and a new barrel, the YoBo will cost a little more but be a hell of a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I compared almost exactly the same two pistols a while back.

I ended up going with the Adco RRA. Not necessarily because I thought was better, but because it was available right now, it was the last run of Adco RRAs, and I could always get a 1* later.

I'm glad I bought it. Very well put together, runs flawlessly, and if the test targets from the other Adco 1911s are any indication, much more accurate than I can make use of.

I'm not sure what all the differences between the Basic Carry and the Adco are...no front serrations, Brown grip safety, maybe fitted a little looser.

ETA This pistol is at RRA now to get Heinies and an ambi-safety installed. Once it gets back it will be just about perfect.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what all the differences between the Basic Carry and the Adco are...no front serrations, Brown grip safety, maybe fitted a little looser.

I think you're pretty much on target there.

I would have bought an ADCO RRA if they just didn't have that damn checkered front strap.  Otherwise it was exactly what I wanted.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was picking between those exact two I'd pick the RRA, but realistically I'd choose the Yost because you can tell them exactly what you want.  Though by the time you got done with that it might not be a 1*.  (For example my next 1911 won't have a beavertail.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I would do the 1* on a Colt. Just because I like Colts.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Never had either one but the Rock River Looks Sweet,
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would have bought an ADCO RRA if they just didn't have that damn checkered front strap.  Otherwise it was exactly what I wanted.

Thats just it with the Yo-Bo.  You can have exactly what you want.  I love my Yo-Bo Colt.  I also like the idea of one person working on the gun from start to finish.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats just it with the Yo-Bo.  You can have exactly what you want.  I love my Yo-Bo Colt.  I also like the idea of one person working on the gun from start to finish.

and you can have whatever you want with Rock River Arms as well, just not on the Basic Carry.  They brought out the Basic Carry in order to have something at a lower price point and to do that they don't allow modification.  However if you order an Elite Commando from them they will do just about anything you want them to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#10]
15 votes for the 1* and nobody only one that actually owns one posts why?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
15 votes for the 1* and nobody that actually owns one posts why?

That is my gun in the pics above.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
15 votes for the 1* and nobody that actually owns one posts why?

That is my gun in the pics above.

See edit above.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't speak for the 1* Enhanced, but I have two 1* Elites built on SA GIs and they are awesome, both in form and function. When you compare them to other 1911s in the same price range they are a  true "bargain".
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The RRA is a beautiful gun anyone would be proud to own.  However, Ive never handled an RRA that wasnt fitted too tightly for my tastes.  Id go Yost.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The RRA is a beautiful gun anyone would be proud to own.  However, Ive never handled an RRA that wasnt fitted too tightly for my tastes.  Id go Yost.

Les Baer frames and slides

The ADCO pistols were ordered with a looser fit, BTW.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Les Baer frames and slides

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Whose are they using? Last I heard they were subcontracting frames and slids from LB.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Whose are they using? Last I heard they were subcontracting frames and slids from LB.

the closest they ever came was getting them from the same place.
There is a reason they (the RRA guys) don't work there anymore, and I doubt they would be welcome to use the LB parts directly.  In fact, IIRC, when LB bought the company that was manufacturing the frames & slides, it forced RRA to begin producing their own (at least on paper, likely they just found their own proprietary outside vendor).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top