Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 9:22:30 AM EDT
I bought my 1991A1 new in 1996 when I got out of the Army.  The finish was never very durable and really shows a lot of wear, even though I never carried it or holstered it.  I'd kind of like to give the old girl a little love, as it was my first handgun.  Should I have it reparked?  I'd kind of like to have it blued instead.  I'd assume these ORM 1991A1's aren't that rare or valuable(not enough to NOT have it blued).  It's NEVER had a problem with any ammo and I outshoot my Glocks with it anyday, but It will always be a safe queen.  What do you think?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:33:06 AM EDT
I have 2 of them, and right now they aren't so special that refinishing will decrease value. Maybe in 50 years your grandchildren will curse you for doing it.
I had my government model blued and the commander Robarized.

People have tried to convince me for years that the park on those things is fantastic, but I still ain't buyin' it.

Blue

Robar. This is my daily carry and it still looks better than the blued that just sits around like a wife all day
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:41:49 AM EDT
Mine got damp one day. The next day, it was orange with rust. Ever since I've had problems with rust spots.  It probably has the least durable finish of any firearm I own. I've always pictured it blued with stainless hammer, grip safety, and flat mainspring housing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:53:54 AM EDT
Get it refinished by Birdsong or Wilson.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:24:33 AM EDT
Quoted:
Mine got damp one day. The next day, it was orange with rust. Ever since I've had problems with rust spots.  It probably has the least durable finish of any firearm I own. I've always pictured it blued with stainless hammer, grip safety, and flat mainspring housing.

According to those I mentioned earlier, that's your fault for not ignoring the Colt manual and coating it with Cosmoline then baking it in the oven at 200° for several hours.

I really wanted Bearcoat but the POS shop that customized my Commander fucked that up as well. Robar is damn good, 10 years and it still looks like the day I picked it up (the Novak sights are showing their age, but the finish is 100%), but Bearcoat is local.

Just my 2¢. I've been wrong before, though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:42:16 AM EDT
Quoted:
Should I have it reparked?  I'd kind of like to have it blued instead.  

Send it out for a polish/bead blast, and refinish in a nice Colt Royal Blue.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:48:19 AM EDT
I've been trying to find someone around here who can reproduce Royal Blue. Jeez, that's gorgeous... I need to be alone for a while
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:31:11 PM EDT
The 1991A1 finish isn't parkerizing, it's a bead blasted blue finish.
The 1991A1 series was built as a budget gun to get the price down to compete with all the other cheap 1911 makers.
What Colt did was to put a lower grade finish on these models.
The reason these finishes rust is because you need to keep a coat of a good lube on them.  The rough finish "soaks up" the lube and makes the finish rust resistant.  The bead blasted bluing isn't as durable as real parkerizing.

If you want a nice finish, send the gun in to Colt.  They offer everything from the original type flat blue to the full blue mirror Royal Blue, to several types of plated finishes.
Their prices and turnaround are competitive, and the  fact that the refinish is a Colt factory finish doesn't lower the price as much as a non-factory job.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:24:36 AM EDT
Quoted:
The 1991A1 finish isn't parkerizing, it's a bead blasted blue finish.

Wrong.  I bought a 1991A1 in 1998, and it was indeed parkerized.

However, I later got it blued, and regret it.  Yes, it was pretty, but the bluing didn't hold up much better than the parkerization.  I, too, am currently seeking a refinish for this gun.  I don't want to spend a ton on this gun, and am seriously considering blasting it and applying some Norrell's molyresin that I already have on hand.  Man, OP, if mine wasn't so modded out, I would offer to trade ya!  

OP, here a pic, if you are curious as to how your gun would look blued:

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:03:54 AM EDT
Someday when I have the money to, my 1991a1 Commander is going back to Colt for their custom shop tactical package which includes refinishing. Built in Y2K the thing looks to have been around since 1911. No finish left to the side and wore out. I just talked to Colt the other day and the Package is $875 to have done. They do a lot and would make any 1911 pretty sweet. I like my little Commander, and while it still is just a 1991a1, making it really nice is worth it to me....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:05:35 PM EDT
Quoted:
Someday when I have the money to, my 1991a1 Commander is going back to Colt for their custom shop tactical package which includes refinishing. Built in Y2K the thing looks to have been around since 19911. No finish left to the side and wore out. I just talked to Colt the other day and the Package is $875 to have done. They do a lot and would make any 1911 pretty sweet. I like my little Commander, and while it still is just a 1991a1, making it really nice is worth it to me....

The other week, when I was shooting mine at the range, another shooter asked me if my grandpa brought back the 1911 from WWII.  He didn't believe me until I handed it to him.  Somethings going to have to be done.
Page Handguns » Colt
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.