Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:04:15 PM EST
I have a weakness for fine revolvers. I probably need a 12 step group, but I doubt it will do much good.

I saw this 6" Model 19-4 (serial number places it in 1980 production) with target hammer and trigger the other day for $895 which was priced too high, but I got a belated $300 birthday present from my mother, who suggested I buy another suit to wear. Mom does not realize that while I no longer wear a uniform, it's also rare for me to need to wear a suit and the six I already have more than cover it.

So I decided this morning that I'd put the $300 toward the Model 19 if I could work a good enough deal. I went back to the shop and looked it over again in detail. With the exception of some minor bluing wear from a holster on the left side of the barrel near the muzzle, it's essentially perfect. No perceptible end shake, minimal cylinder gap, solid lock up, no timing issues, no run out in the cylinder pin, no issues with hammer push off, a forcing cone that looks perfect, and a superb trigger.

The dealer and I talked while I inspected it, and I finally looked at him and asked "What is your absolute best price?" He indicated he had it on gun broker, and he'd have to check and see what was happening there. (I already knew the answer to that as he had a $750 opening price and no bidders with 6 hours left on the auction.) He still surprised me a bit when he said "$750 tax included". I said "Ok, lets do some paperwork".

I took it to the range this afternoon and posted a target and some target dots to see how it would shoot at 15 yards, two hands, slow fire in SA mode, using my standard plinking load with a commercial cast 158 gr LSWC and 3.2 gr of Red Dot in mixed head stamp brass.

The first two shots were pretty "meh…" until I realized the first shot was a cold bore flier and that it shot at least as well as I do:

I made a sight adjustment and shot a couple more groups:

I'm pretty sure the fliers in these groups are my fault.

All in all I put 100 rounds of .38 Special through it with most of the rest on steel plates at 30 yards, along with a couple cylinders of my favorite +P self defense load and a couple cylinders of 158 gr .357 Magnum. It's very pleasant with the .38 Special and .38 Special +P loads, and tolerable with the .357 Magnum loads, although after a couple cylinders worth it was getting less fun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:44 PM EST
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:21:46 PM EST

My 4" 19-4 has a lot more holster wear than yours.

I really love this old gun.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:03:26 PM EST
Both of those look better than both of mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:49 PM EST
Very nice, she's a shooter too.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:46:11 AM EST
Super duper nice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:54:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 12:56:55 AM EST by Andyd]
You got a very nice revolver there! I bought mine a "few" years ago at a gunshow in Arkansas for $200. Used Glocks were $400 then, S&W revolvers overlooked by the general public. The M19 is a fine gun and a great shooter!

I still use Bullseye powder and 158 gr hardcast bullets, almost exclusively shooting .38 Special loads out of my S&W M19-2 and -3s. If I shoot Magnum loads, I use an L-frame or a Korth with gas checks.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:00:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 2:01:02 AM EST by SixSquared]
Damn, Purdy revolvers guys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:13:25 AM EST
Great looking gun but man those things are getting pricey.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:30:59 AM EST
Like the last poster I am old enough to recall the 1990's ( already graduated college by then!) when every police dept was dumping huge numbers of revolvers and a smith 19 ( mostly 4" duty guns) were easy to find for 200 bucks or less. Around this time my brothers dept transitioned to glocks and most cops not being gun guys started to sell off the personally owned duty guns they had before the stand issue glocks. I got a cosmetically challenged ( scraped and worn outside like new inside) 4" 19 for $165, with two boxes of factory ammo, all the duty leather and speed loaders.
Revolvers are regaining popularity again- too bad for us wheel gun junkies who were picking them up cheap !
You have a very nice 19 there. It is hard for me to swallow today's pricing.
My brother remembers in the late 90's one of the smaller local pd's sold off surplus revolvers ( model 15's) when they went to autos.
They sold 4&2" model 15's for $85 each.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:43:19 AM EST
I look at it bit more philosophically.

Using the BLS consumer price index figures, $750 today has about the same buying power as $413 in 1990.

When I consider the money I earn now, well established in my career, as opposed to 1990 when I was just starting out and not earning much at all, even factoring in the reduction in buying power over that 25 year period of time, that Model 19 is still about twice as affordable now than it was then.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:47:27 PM EST
Nice! I have a 2.5, and a 4" Outstanding guns.

They appreciate better than Blue Chip Stock!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:21:56 PM EST
Dakota - it does appear over time, in relation to what we earn today , guns are cheaper and represent less of our money than years ago.
Any way we can justify buying what we like is ok in my book
Top Top