Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 11:29:00 AM EDT
  I want an old style 45 and I want one that will last forever.  Collectors value is much less important to me because I do not intend on selling any firearm I buy.  That is why I intend to make the best choice the first time around.  Which 45 would last longer, one of the 1297 Colts made in Hartford for Argentina or on of the Argentina Sistemas?  Price being $450 for the Colt and $300 for the Sistema.  Being a college student, I will not be able to shoot it near as often as I would like, but eventually I will.  I want one that will not wear out.

Both are identical as far as parts deminsion correct?  I have heard that Colt military guns were not heat treated as tough as commercial ones.  As in when the military shooting teams would build a for competition, they would get a Colt commercial slide.  But the 1927 Colt was made pre-war and maybe this is not true?

Also, how common are the 1991 colts?  I have heard they are also very good.  How are they different than any other model?  How common are they to find?  Price range?

Thank you!

whisper
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess this part of the board is not very active?  Can someone suggest where this topic would be better placed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
How about splitting the difference and getting a new Springfield Armory Milspec. They go for right around $400 and wuld give you a new pistol with a warranty.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard that they have cast frames?  But that is just what I have heard.  Anyone have anything to say about the Springfield Armory Milspec model?

*edit* just read some reviews on www.sightm1911.com and they see to be just want I am looking for.  Machined frame, not a cast.  Reliability mods and quicker sights, not real racy stuff, but just what I would want.

Know where to find one for a decent price?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfields have forged frames not cast. The 1927 Colt is more desirable because it says Colt. The Sistema was built on Colt machinery supervised by Colt production personel to Colt standards. You can't really loose with either one.

The 1991 Colts are going in the same price range as the Springfield 1911.

check these out for an idea of available pricing

COLT

Non Colt

Springfield
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
the 1991A1 is a series 80, while most 1911's are series 70 or earlier.

The main difference is the addition of a firing pin block. It makes the pistol safer, but sacrifices trigger pull. It's not too bad, but competition shooters despise a series 80 trigger pull.

explanation, and pics, here www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/s80fpb.htm
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Get two, I did:

NRM 1991
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks, great posts everyone!  I think I will get a Sistema and then either upgrade the sights, etc, when I get more money.  Or I could later on buy one of those Springfields with the 3 dot sights.  Having to only spend $350 or so total to get the pistol leaves a lot more for ammo!

Is that MFS 230grain FMJ that aimsurplus.com sells anygood?  Are the cases good for reloading.  I was just going to buy steel case ammo unless this brass case stuff from Hungary is decent.  If I could get a deal for someone local to reload for me, I would buy UMC to supply cases.  I have heard that Wolf, Barnaul, all of the new steel case Russian ammo is decent to run those handguns and doesn't have the problems with extraction like it does sometimes in ARs?  I am looking for a, "Yeah, MFS is good," or a, "No, don't shoot Wolf!" or a, "Steel cased ammo makes great practice fodder!"

Thanks for all the great posts and advice!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one of both.  There seems to be absolutely no difference between the two with the exception of the Colt rollmark on the Hartford 1927.

I would recommend that you get the Sistema, and try to find one that hadn't been refinished, if possible.  They tend to be a little heavy handed with the buffing wheel.

These guns are cheap, and work best as a basis for a custom gun.  Most of the ones I've seen have been on just this side of worn out.  The slide and frame are mostly OK but the barrels seem to be pretty worn.  There will likely be some parts replacement needed if you want an accurate and reliable 1911.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, thank you.  I will try to get an original Sistema.  Thanks everyone!

whisper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top