Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 3:59:23 PM EDT
I have a springfield GI 1911 and was looking at getting it refinished but how do i go about this?  i d like to have the frame color case hardened.  havent decided on the slide.  i posted a post in gunsmithing section with no responses.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it out to someone who specializes in CCH.

Turnbull will do it for a lot of money.
Gary Reeder will do it for quite a bit less.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
go for a two tone.  I just refinished my 1911 in a FDE frame with black grips and parts and a black slide.  It looks nice.  Still waiting for it to cure before I can get pics up though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I was planning doing a two tone and really wanted the frame to be case color hardened. I just don't know if it's worth spending the money on a basic GI sa
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't tell you if it's worth it, but Turnbull will charge you $200 to case color the frame.  I like the look as well, just need to get more shekels saved for the resto I'd like them to do on an old Colt's...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just don't know if it's worth spending the money on a basic GI sa

I'd say no since CCH is more of an aesthetics.  Don't get me wrong, CCH does provide a nice level of protection, but if protection was your number one goal than CCH would not be your desired finish.  

CCH is probably better suited for a more collectible 1911 like a Colt, and the wonder finishes are better choices for the likes of a SA.  

If you want a cool look for your SA GI I'd go with hard chrome on the frame and an IONBonded slide or vice versa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top