Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:41:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:57 PM EDT
A Government model will be easier; they generally have weaker recoil springs.

In my opinion, it's easier to just rack the slide. I've got decently sized hands and I'm a righty, and I cant hit the slide release without twisting the gun in my hand, or using my left hand. I just rack the slide (it's also one less motion to practice)

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:25:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 8:32:09 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:35:15 PM EDT
Sounds like you need to invest in a personal trainer.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:13:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:21:01 AM EDT
If she's anticipating then uhm (ima get flamed) get her one in .40

­

e­xcuse me while I duck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:22:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:23:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:26:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By CastorTroy:

What can I say, I got the runt of the litter. When I met her and her nearly 6' tall, marathon running, biathalon shooting, weight lifting sister I should have gone with "best in a gunfight" over "cutest." Live and learn.

Then you should do the right thing by her and buy her a revolver. There is no "shame" in shooting
the wheelguns and it takes all the need for strength out of the equation.

I know that's damn near Blashpemy in the 1911 forum, but being able to use the weapon
is much more important than how cool it looks.

My wife loves here 5 shot Ladysmith and my 386PD shooting +P .38's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:49:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:58:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 12:00:11 PM EDT by TexasSIG]

Originally Posted By TexasSIG:

Then you should do the right thing by her and buy her a revolver. There is no "shame" in shooting
the wheelguns and it takes all the need for strength out of the equation.

I know that's damn near Blashpemy in the 1911 forum, but being able to use the weapon
is much more important than how cool it looks.

My wife loves here 5 shot Ladysmith and my 386PD shooting +P .38's.

She has had a 3" Chief's Special for many years . She would shoot the .38 when I would drag her out, but after I got her the XD9mm she shot a lot more and had more furn, she's been asking me to shoot more since she got that and a Browning Buckmark (little easier for her to hit the target with those than the .38).

Her hands are too small to be able to have a proper grip on a larger revolver and still operate the trigger, or I would get her a 4" revolver. Besides I'd like her to get a pistol she enjoys, since I think she would shoot more if she had one she liked. It's not as much fun to go out and shoot up a bunch of silhouettes if you have to monkey with speed loaders when no one else does.

I know, just the 1911 is a Big Ole Handful as you've found out.

If you reload, you could load up some low powered loads for her to shoot and run a much
lighter recoil spring. I have done that in the past for IPSC and other "games"

I have run .45 with a 10 pound recoil spring with some loads. Makes racking
the slide a cinch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:05:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:09:27 PM EDT

She actually did pretty well for the first time (well except for the not hitting anything but practice practice!) She was surprised that it was a .45...

I'd do just about anything for her, but damn I hate reloading...

Ever tried one in 9mm? I've never shot a 1911 in 9, but I'd think it would be a a good bit
of difference. 14 pounds is the Colt standard spring weight for 9mm, vs 16.5 for .45
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:13:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 12:14:48 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 12:17:35 PM EDT by TexasSIG]

She actually did pretty well for the first time (well except for the not hitting anything but practice practice!) She was surprised that it was a .45...

I'd do just about anything for her, but damn I hate reloading...

Ever tried one in 9mm? I've never shot a 1911 in 9, but I'd think it would be a a good bit
of difference. 14 pounds is the Colt standard spring weight for 9mm, vs 16.5 for .45

Lumpy suggested trying a 9mm or 380 super 1911, but I don't really know anyone who has one of those. I have only seen two myself that someone was actually using. I REALLY don't want to get stuck with a 9mm 1911 that she doesn't like

Don't blame you. Dude, sounds like you're screwed

At least she doesn't like 10mm. My Delta Elite came with a 26 POUND SPRING!!!!

I could barely move the stupid thing myself. That was when you could get real
10mm though. No need for that now, I'm down to 18lbs
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:17:14 PM EDT

Then you should do the right thing by her and buy her a revolver.

Yeah, take the tiny woman with weak hands, take the gun with the short 5lb trigger pull away from her and hand her a gun with a long 18lb trigger pull and watch the astounding improvement she'll make in shooting
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:19:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

Yeah, take the tiny woman with weak hands, take the gun with the short 5lb trigger pull away from her and hand her a gun with a long 18lb trigger pull and watch the astounding improvement she'll make in shooting

Racking the slide was the problem. My 98 pound wife can shoot the revo DA so it's doable a lot
easier than getting her tiny butt to EVER rack the slide on my 1911s.

And if it's just playing around you can always run the revo SA. And a $75 trigger job on
her ladysmith took the DA pull down a TON.

The 1911 is a handful, there is no way around that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:25:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:26:57 PM EDT

Don't blame you. Dude, sounds like you're screwed

At least she doesn't like 10mm. My Delta Elite came with a 26 POUND SPRING!!!!

I could barely move the stupid thing myself. That was when you could get real
10mm though. No need for that now, I'm down to 18lbs

My buddy has a Delta Elite I have been trying to get away from him for years. I am still considering a Kimber or Dan Wesson.

At least I got her away from skeet/trap shooting. She was doing that for awhile, I hate it.

She's shot my ARs a few times but is still intimidated by the muzzle blast I guess. I'm going to try her with a .22 rifle. She saw (I think) Davy Crockett's rifle when she was at The Alamo ( I think it was actually the TV Davy Crockett's rifle) and talked about that being pretty neat when she got home.

I got mine OK with the AR finally. Had a break in a few houses down, that made all the difference
in "motivation".
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:33:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

Racking the slide was the problem. My 98 pound wife can shoot the revo DA so it's doable a lot
easier than getting her tiny butt to EVER rack the slide on my 1911s.

And if it's just playing around you can always run the revo SA. And a $75 trigger job on
her ladysmith took the DA pull down a TON.

The 1911 is a handful, there is no way around that.

And all four of my daughters never had the least bit of trouble handling them from their early teens after being instructed correctly on how to manipulate the guns, and theres not one in the bunch above 5'4" all grown up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:34:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:38:35 PM EDT

I got mine OK with the AR finally. Had a break in a few houses down, that made all the difference
in "motivation".

We had some drunks try to accidently (I guess thinking it was theirs? Their english was pretty spotty when I ended up confronting them) break into our hotel room once. Once I realized what was up when I went out I left my pistol in the room (I was pretty hot and didn't want it with me) she lectured me on being dumb for not taking it (probably true) and has asked me since then a few places we've been ("you do have your gun?")

We may end up moving to a silencer friendly state so that might make the AR more palitable.

Go read about the Noveske Krink flash hider. I put one on my shorty AR. A couple of guys swear
they can shoot without hearing protection using the thing.

I have not tried that, but it does make a HUGE difference in the sound and fireball.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:40:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 5:23:28 AM EDT by TWIRE]
Wifey's handgun that I built. Its a 38super commander length. Although 9mm is an option, they have to be tuned really well. Most of the problems come about as a result of the length of the 9mm cartridge. The mags from 9mm 1911s (and .40s for that matter), have a chincy spacer that runs the length of the mag. The more or less 'classic' malfunction is a nose up stovepipe. The 38super, on the other hand, is the same length as a 45 cartridge, and has higher velocities than the 9mm.

Food for thought. (I have no idea why the photo won't show!!)

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:08:01 PM EDT
I can't get the 1911 out of my girlfriend's hands. She's 4'11" and roughly 100 pounds and is VERY opinionated about pistols. If it doesn't feel just right the first time she picks it up, she hates it. She doesn't like my full size 1911s and she doesn't like my 4" Champion due to the heavy recoil spring. OTOH, she loves her Commander size GAL5000 (Israeli 1911). I replaced the full length guide rod with a standard one and installed a 16# spring. The 4.25" barrel points very naturally for her and its easy to rack. The sights are small, but nicely visible and the trigger pull is outstanding. It has a mag funnel and actually makes a hell of a nice shooter and would be at home in any IDPA shoot.

Have her look at a few different one, but you may find that a Champion/Commander length gun strikes her fancy.

While 230 grain bullets are cheap, you can find 185 WWB for about $11/box on-line. My GF has no problems with 230, but was amazed at how much easier the 185 was to shoot. Obviously, reloading would also help as you can scale down the loads quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:39:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CastorTroy:

What can I say, I got the runt of the litter. When I met her and her nearly 6' tall, marathon running, biathalon shooting, weight lifting sister I should have gone with "best in a gunfight" over "cutest." Live and learn.

Let her try a Gov't Model.

damian@adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:38:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:57:10 PM EDT
How about a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm ? Sounds like it should solve your problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:41:38 AM EDT
At least your cat didn't Chew the cord off of your sump pump 1 month after moving into a new house! How much do cans cost again?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:00:13 PM EDT

Lumpy suggested trying a 9mm or 380 super 1911, but I don't really know anyone who has one of those. I have only seen two myself that someone was actually using. I REALLY don't want to get stuck with a 9mm 1911 that she doesn't like

I took a class recently where there was a gentlemen who was (I think) a retired Air Force officer who had been to Thunder Ranch/Gunsite etc many times and he was shooting a 9mm 1911. He was an excellent shot and very fast.

Not that it helps you, but I have Colt mark IV series 80 government model in 9mm.

I actually think that my Kimber .45 has less recoil, maybe because of heavier frame. As for racking the slide, the 9mm is probally easier, but niether one really is difficult for me, you know what I mean?

Travis
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:06:45 PM EDT
Here I've spent the better part of a year trying to convert Aimless to a 1911 with zero success. Oh the irony

Bob, should I let your sweetie shoot my M1A next month?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 6:32:14 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:58:00 PM EDT

Bob, should I let your sweetie shoot my M1A next month?

I ain't buyin' one fer me, them's girly guns

I don't think she could pick up your m1a

Don't bet on it. My 4'11" GF has one dream gun: A match grade M1A. I can't explain why. This is the same one who favors the Commander size 1911.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:45:56 PM EDT
I just brought my new Kimber Commander length Eclipse home and thought I'd buy the GF a new pistol to easy my guilt. I took here to the Fun Shop and she didn't like anything. Got her home she falls in love with the Kimber. Guess I'm saving for a new 1911.

Hmm... wonder if I should be sad? She does have very good taste, she picked me
BK
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:09:36 PM EDT
get her a 357 revolver. She'll love it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:26:29 PM EDT
Umm, seriously, how much forearm strength can possibly be required to rack the slide of most autos? Cock the hammer, and have her pull the slide back, or at least as far back as she can get it, 5-10 times, then rest, then do it again. Her arm strength will be where it needs to be in a week or so if she does this a few times every day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:18:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:
Let her try a 1911 with the short trigger and flat mainspring housing. If she likes it, you can also add the reduced-thickness grips and screws also. As per SGB's recommendation, cock the hammer before trying to operate the slide initially, as it will not require her to overcome the pressure of the hammer spring. As for a lefty doing a reload from slide lock, many use the trigger finger to operate the slide stop, but my preference...especially with Glocks in the house...is to let her "slingshot" the slide, and operate the mag catch with the trigger finger.

Good advice. There are also some possibilities of playing with springs/loads, if interested in that sort of stuff.
Top Top