Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 8:42:25 PM EDT
I have a sig tacops 1911 with a threaded barrel.  I recently noticed that the barrel link pin is walking out when disassembled.  I don't think this will cause big issues while assembled but it will likely wear out the link and/or make the problem worse.  

I could probably stake it but would rather get the job done right?   Any recommendations on how/where to get this fixed?  I bought it used so warranty is an unlikely avenue.   Also, I don't have much confidence that I could do this job myself.    I have another barrel (non threaded) but want this one fixed.  

ETA :  I am really hoping a fix is cheaper than a new barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull it and slightly bend it or use a hammer and smash the middle a little.  Then tap it into place.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull it and slightly bend it or use a hammer and smash the middle a little.  Then tap it into place.
View Quote

Wrong answer. They are supposed to be staked in place with a punch. Support the barrel feet and place one stake on each side on the feet trapping the pin.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wrong answer. They are supposed to be staked in place with a punch. Support the barrel feet and place one stake on each side on the feet trapping the pin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staked is the correct answer.  However, I have owned a 1911 for over 20 years in which the link pin has been loose.  Loose as in it comes out when the pistol is disassembled.  It has never been an issue as to function.  Just make sure you don't lose it when cleaning.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a nonissue.  The 1911 is pretty good about capturing its parts when assembled.  It won't hurt a thing.  If you must stake it, do it on the barrel.  The pin is too hard to swage it easily.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a nonissue.  The 1911 is pretty good about capturing its parts when assembled.  It won't hurt a thing.  If you must stake it, do it on the barrel.  The pin is too hard to swage it easily.
View Quote

Thanks.   I didn't think it would, especially since I don't do a lot of volume shooting through  that barrel but don't want it to wear prematurely.   I'll probably try and stake it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Back before I had my bullseye 1911 stolen it had a Barrel pin that would fall out upon disassembly. After in excess of 30k rounds the gun still shot tight little groups. A walking pin really is a non issue. Stake it if it makes you feel better though
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've only had one loose one across 7 pistols.

I put the link and the pin back in the barrel with the end of the pin/barrel supported on the end of my bench vise and used a center punch and hammer to put an indention in first one side of the pin, then flipped it over and did the same to the other side.  No issues since.

I just preferred to alter the pin vs the barrel.  And that still lets the link move freely on the pin.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I can remember reading where some people prefer the pin where it can be disassembled. One of my 1911's is like that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ding ding ding!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The pin in my RO would slide out just a little too easy. Sometimes I had trouble putting the gun back together after cleaning.
Center punch the pin on both sides. No problems now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone.   It only slides out one side.   My only remaining concern, if I do nothing, is that it slides around in there when shooting and widens the hole or does some other damage.   From what I am seeing, however, I shouldn't be that concerned.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#13]
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?93056-How-to-stake-the-Barrel-Link-Pin

The right way to do this job!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#14]
My 1911 does this.

Not worried about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top