Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:28:31 PM EDT
Hey all, I just recently got my ccw and am in the market for a carry pistol. I already own a Sig 226 9mm, but want a different gun for carry. I was planning on purchasing a 1911 anyway because I've always wanted one, so I'm wondering what you guys think about the 1911 as a carry pistol. My concern is not so much about the weight, but how is it sitting and driving? I guess my other concern is the ability to draw quickly from concealment. I'm not too keen on subcompacts and would rather use something bigger that I can also shoot a lot for fun and practice.
Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Tom
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 6:46:21 PM EDT by Diamondback]
Try any of the Kimber Pro series guns. They have a full size grip with a 4" barrel. I have a Pro Carrry II 45 ACP and use a Wilson Featherweight IWB holster. I am 5' 9" and don't have any trouble driving with that combo. Works great for me.

Diamondback

A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:34:57 PM EDT
Just make sure you get a good IWB holster.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:46:22 PM EDT
I will ahve to agree with the other two guys. Your holster choice is key. However a IWB is not needed. I have carried a 1911 every day for at least the last 3 years. I generally hate IWB so I had to find a belt holster that sat high enough to dress comfortably. If you are like me and don't like to carry a Govt sive gun in IWB and can't find a belt holster that will work there is always the custom makers (what I had to do).
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:56:23 PM EDT
<----- I'm a 155 pound six footer. It's IWB or bust for me!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:58:32 PM EDT
I carry my full size 1911 more or less all day every day. Sitting, standing, driving, laying down on the couch etc. I find it very comfortable, although you do have to get used to it. By getting used to it, I don't mean as much comfort wise as I do just the extra weight on one side of your pants. This is with any gun, not just the 1911. I recommend a good IWB holster (I love my Galco SkyOps) and a good belt (I have a Galco belt as well). Then you should be all set!

Brian
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:17:33 AM EDT
The 1911 is an easy CCW piece due to it's thin width. A good IWB holster and a good belt make all the difference in the world. Many folks forget about the belt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:24:51 AM EDT
Thanks for the great info.
Tom
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:11:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JosephK:
The 1911 is an easy CCW piece due to it's thin width. A good IWB holster and a good belt make all the difference in the world. Many folks forget about the belt.

+1 on the belt. IMHO the belt is the most important peice of CCW. Spend some money and get a QUALITY holster/belt. You won't be sorry. I currently am using a Mitch Rosen 5JR and a Rosen 1 1/2" gunbelt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:38:13 AM EDT
nobody mentioned the speed of the draw from concealment. Do you guys feel that that is in issue because of the length?
Tom
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:42:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tommc8:
nobody mentioned the speed of the draw from concealment. Do you guys feel that that is in issue because of the length?
Tom

Use the 5 point API drawstroke. The pistol comes out of the holster (even a thigh rig) and goes up to a point high on the side of the chest, where it is rotated and the safety disabled.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:50:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Diamondback:
Try any of the Kimber Pro series guns. They have a full size grip with a 4" barrel. I have a Pro Carrry II 45 ACP and use a Wilson Featherweight IWB holster. I am 5' 9" and don't have any trouble driving with that combo. Works great for me.

Diamondback

A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45.

+1 But I went with the Milt Sparks VM2... I couldn't ask for better results.
Top Top