Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 10:17:17 AM EDT
I am putting together an emergency field repair kit for my 1911.  I have tried to think of any parts most likely to break or need replaced more oftain.

Looking for input on things to add to the list (or if anything on here is not needed).

-main spring
-recoil spring
-firing pin
-firing pin spring
-sear spring
-slide stop (fitted)
-firing pin stop (fitted)
-extractor (fitted and tested)
-extra recoil buffers
-punch/disassembly tool
-cleaning kit with patches/bore brush/oil

anything im missing? Any suggestions?  This is a little more difficult for a 1911 since parts need to be fitted, etc...so i dont think i am going to worry about a sear or disconector...the chances of them breaking should be slim to none anyways right? also i have never fit a disconector or sear, not even sure if they woud require fitting?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically the only parts the gun will continue to function without are the grip safety and the thumb safety. Oh, and the grips/grip bushings, and the front and rear sights.

Everything else, the gun needs. If any of them break or are missing, the gun will cease to function, or malfunction to the point of it becoming unusable. Basically it'll be guaranteed to go bang once, but it may or may not hit what you're aiming at, and the bang may be more an explosion than a gunshot

Plunger tube/spring/detents
Extractor
Ejector and pin (glue works, but only for a while..)
Barrel Bushing
Mag catch/lock/spring
Trigger
Hammer, hammer strut, and pin
Sear
Disconnector
Pins for trigger, hammer, and sear
Slide stop
Barrel, link, and pin (though you could make the argument that a properly fit barrel doesn't strictly need the link/pin...I wouldn't want to run it long without one though)
Firing pin stop
Firing pin
Sear spring
Recoil spring
Main spring

The breakage, failure or absence of any of these will cause problems. You can get around the mag catch by hand-feeding it individual rounds, but that's about it.

Some things don't fail as often as others, but it can't hurt to have pre-fit spares of each, especially if it's your duty/carry gun, or a gun you will otherwise rely upon for survival...

Odds are you'll never need that spare sear/disconnector/hammer, or a spare slide stop. But...better to have it and never need it, then to need it and not have it...
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't carry a kit, but if you're putting one together, then I would get:

Firing pin & spring
Extractor
Recoil spring
Disconnector (no fitting required)

No tools are really needed in the field to service a 1911.

Firing pin is a disassembly punch, trigger/sear spring is a grip and mag release screwdriver.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
spare part:  

really though, your list looks good.

Warning Sent - SGB

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
spare part:  
http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/FirearmsPage/Glock-19-.jpg

really though, your list looks good.

haha...i c what u did there
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Recoil spring
Mag spring
Extractor
Firing pin stop

What I would do is upgrade to better parts, especially extractor and firing pin stop, then keep the old working extras as spares.  

And not so much for a field kit, but I always try to keep extra grip bushings and grip screws around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Warning Sent - SGB

Really? OP thought it was funny...
and i did comment on his list of parts...

(and i have the same# of 1911's as Glocks, so i consider myself neutral...)

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recoil spring
Mag spring
Extractor
Firing pin stop

What I would do is upgrade to better parts, especially extractor and firing pin stop, then keep the old working extras as spares.  

And not so much for a field kit, but I always try to keep extra grip bushings and grip screws around.

actually, this is the best advice yet, im just gonna dig up any old original parts, they are free, and  i already know they fit right!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
In case you lose your recoil spring plug in the field, you can substitute a fired .45 case.

I am not recommending the use of a fired case as a recoil spring plug, mind you.  Just that in an emergency, it can be done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Just buy/stash another complete gun . . . you almost have all the parts listed anyway !!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#10]
DPMS has a small repair kit for 1911, just basic parts to keep it running.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have over 30K rounds through one 1911 and over 12K through another and have never had anything break.

I have replaced many recoil and firing pin springs, stripped a few grip screws and lost a few parts during cleaning, but unlike my ar15s, nothing has failed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top