Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 1:29:14 PM EDT
I am going to build a 1911 and every receiver that is priced reasonable requires a gunsmith to assemble

does this mean I need a gunsmith to assemble or can i do it my self?

I shoot my paps 1911 then i tear it down clean it and then reassemble it

so can i build it my self?

or is there like a tool or something that only a gunsmith has that is required?

it seems simple and i am very mechanically inclined

so why do they require a gunsmith?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That is going to depend upon your version of "building" a 1911.

If you mean "build" like many of us have (or would like to) build an AR then you are MOSTLY slapping the parts together on a preforged/cast receiver from a popular manufacture, and other than a bit of fitting you don't need anything over the top. Unlike an AR, your project's performance will likely reflect the slapdash nature of this procedure. This last line is intended for you and me... those of us who have no exp doing it and don't have the skill to put the proper finishing touches re proper fitting. <sigh> one day perhaps.

If you mean "build" by taking an 80 % receiver and creating your very own legal firearm, including custom fitting the slide to the frame, the barrel to the slide, drilling, etc then HELL YES! Brownells has a full section of odds and ends there. The more you see what's involved in hand building a 1911 the more you understand why Wilson, Nitehawk, Baer, Brown, etc charge what they charge.

ETA: I think I wasn't as specific as I could have been for your benefit. Gunsmiths (or our friends with knowhow on the board) are involved with Scenario one because most 1911 parts require fitting. Most parts, even some so-called drop in parts require minor fitting. There is no reson why you can't do this 100% yourself provided you have the time & resources to educate and outfit yourself. If you are mech inclined, so much the better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Because the parts should be fitted properly and function checked to ensure that they work safely.
Not just slide to frame; trigger, sear, hammer, mating surfaces, etc.

In the past some other companies used to offer complete kits and received them back with a lot of complaints about the parts not fitting together.  A big loss of money. So now any company that offers parts place the gunsmith fit required disclaimer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah i was looking at a 80% receiver and a complete parts kit from sportsmans guide and then super custom it from there
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, you'll definitely need a good education and some tools to do that project. The other thing is that by the time you invest that much time & $ you had better love the hell out of 1911s because you'll need to make one hell of a lot (for yourself... you can't make these for sale without "officially" going into business as a manufacturer) of 1911s to recoup your investment expenditure.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I was also wondering if it was possible to build a ww1or ww2 1911 clone?
are the parts out there?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes.

sweet i am going for one of those
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

sweet i am going for one of those

Caspian Arms  www.caspianarms.com/html/receivers/government.html has a
"classic " frame and slide that replicate the original WW I style.

They will sell you a set , fitted , which will require very little tweaking.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to build from an %80 frame you will need fundamental lath and mill expierence.  I prefer to use a quality frame and slide to start.  There are even some manufacturers that will fit them for you.  I think Caspian will even do a %90 fit so you can do the final lapping.  I prefer to get them for gunsmith fit.  Just the way I was taught is the only reason.  I use NM parts when I build a pistol.  Those parts are all over sized to get the max. demension for best fit and preformance.  Fitting requires files, stones, sandpaper, dremal and a lot of patience.

There are easy was to get a pistol built I have heard.  I have not tried any of the pre fitted slide frame combos, drop in doo dads and build kits that are offered.  I have used "drop in" parts to tweak a factory pistol.  I have found that there are not a lot of "drop in" parts that really need a bit of fitting.  Then there are those that required a lot of fitting.  Depends on the demensions of the part and host pistol.

Of course I am not a pro.  I am just a nut that has a sickness called 1911 pistol building.  I do not know everything about doing one so take my words with a grain of salt.  This is a good place with a lot of good info and a lot of bad info.  Take what you need and leave the rest.  Best of luck with your build and remember to have fun with it.  Then you will be able to take pride in the build you have done.  I also hope that you know you are about to take your first steps in a vast new sickness.... turn back before... Oh wait you already are trapped.  Welcome to the DARK SIDE!!!!!!!!!  We have you now!!!!!!!!!!

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It has been previously observed that "drop in" must mean that you "drop in" on your 'smith and give him the parts and tell him what you want done.

It IS possible to build a 1911, just as it is possible to build a home-build airplane.

I've been through an armorer's school and can fit hammers, sears, safety locks, and a few other things, but in order to do this I have near $2k of training and tools.  

You'd be better off saving and having a name smith do what you want.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top