Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/1/2009 2:48:04 PM EST
ok so I've seen a vendor on here selling the wilson combat drop in match barrels for $125 that should shoot 2" at 25 yards.

I have an SA loaded 1911, what kind of accuracy does springfield guarantee out of their stock barrels? is it even worth me upgrading? thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:57:01 PM EST
Your loaded already comes with a match barrel. I do not think you are going to see much of anything from swapping the barrels. More ammo and practice will do more for you than the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:02:01 PM EST
What do your groups look like at 25yrds? Try off a rest if ya can and see what you can do. It all depends on your own ability to shoot well. Thats not a bad price for the Wilson,BUT I have seen many guys with 2k+ 1911's that still cant hit a 2in group at 25yrds....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:20:52 PM EST
Though Springfield can get pretty sloppy when it comes to barrel fit, I don't see you getting a big improvement out of a drop-in barrel.

You'll see the most accuracy out of a gunsmith fit barrel and bushing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:26:23 PM EST
Drop in barrels really are not the answer for accuracy. You might be surprised at what you get if you just fit an oversized bushing to your current barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:57:07 AM EST
A stock Springfield GI barrel if the lugs are rewelded and fitted by a smith who knows what he is doing will shoot one hole groups. A "match" barrel isn't much different than a GI barrel. Most accuracy in a 1911 comes from proper barrel fitting which almost no drop in barrel has.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:33:22 AM EST
First off let me say that my SA loaded is equipped with a Ultra-Dot scope. At 20 yds I can put a 5 shot group inside a 50 cent size pasty shooting off bags. Don't really know how good this is as I am new to 1911s.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:47:58 AM EST
#1 thing to improve accuracy is a properly fitted bushing
#2 is properly fitted and lapped rear lugs.

A good match barrel is probably 4 or 5 on the list. Basically : It does not matter how good the barrel is if it isn't pointing in the same place relative to the sights every time.
Top Top