Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:34 AM EDT
Gents, I'm presently looking to trade up my current SA Mil-Spec 1911A1 and I'm looking for something in the $700-1000 range.  The one I have now was bought 2nd hand from my best friend, but I feel like I'd spend a small fortune to make this gun into the one I want.  I'm looking for a 5" with a light rail, checkering on the front and backstraps.  internal extractor, commander-type hammer and beavertail grip (magwell would be nice, but not a must).  I have been looking at a Kimber TLE/RL II and a new SIG GSR w/ Rail but both of these have external extractors, and I'm a little iffy.  Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

AKTactical
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say go with a Springfield Operator.  That should fit the bill.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't trade.  Upgrade.  1K is enough to turn your pistol into a serious custom gun.

You are not going to be able to afford decent checkering for that price.  You are going to have to settle for serrations.  They are a little softer, but look very nice.

You can get new sights.  Heinies with the rear notch opened to .140 are very quick.  Leave the sights black, for now.

A trigger job comes witht he added advantage of replacing all of your internal components with better ones.

Beavertail fit is important to me.  It takes about 100 dollars to get a smith to do it right.  It is worth every penny.

You won't need a new barrel, just a tighter bushing fit.  The pistol will shoot better than you ever will.

A Yost 1* Enhanced comes with everything you want for 1045 on your gun.  Add a light rail/light for 80 dollars, 60 if you get the light at the same time, and subtract the lanyard loop in the mainspring housing for, I believe, a credit of 55 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always read that those SA GI's and mil-specs are the best to turn into your own custom gun.

Alot of the kimbers that had external extractors are now being shipped with internal.

What's funny is I'm in the opposite situation.

I have a badass Kimber with all the goodies and now I'm looking into a pistol like yours to slowly upgrade how I like it.

I recommend you try to hold to your current pistol but by all means, find a kimber with an IE or just buy a nice SA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't trade.  Upgrade.  1K is enough to turn your pistol into a serious custom gun.

You are not going to be able to afford decent checkering for that price.  You are going to have to settle for serrations.  They are a little softer, but look very nice.

You can get new sights.  Heinies with the rear notch opened to .140 are very quick.  Leave the sights black, for now.

A trigger job comes witht he added advantage of replacing all of your internal components with better ones.

Beavertail fit is important to me.  It takes about 100 dollars to get a smith to do it right.  It is worth every penny.

You won't need a new barrel, just a tighter bushing fit.  The pistol will shoot better than you ever will.

A Yost 1* Enhanced comes with everything you want for 1045 on your gun.  Add a light rail/light for 80 dollars, 60 if you get the light at the same time, and subtract the lanyard loop in the mainspring housing for, I believe, a credit of 55 dollars.

Truer words have never been spoken... go with a YoBo 1* package and you will not regret it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot for the info guys.  I looked at the Yo-Bo package and that may be a little too rich for my blood.  I saw someone post earlier about stippling.  I'd love to have that but I don't know of anyone that does this to 1911's.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Robar is big on stippling, and Yost-Bonitz can and will do stippling on 1911s too. Burton tells me they have a really neat tool for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in bed with the "Customize it" guys above. Frankly the price range you are quoting will only yield you a marginally better pistol, but adding a few hundred to your already existing one will make a major difference. Aside from YoBo, Wilson Combat and others offer all kinds of packages on 1911s and SAs (and Colts) are the brand(s) of choice for these customizers. Aside from some of the above suggestions, I'd make a reliability package top priority if this is a carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks a lot for the info guys.  I looked at the Yo-Bo package and that may be a little too rich for my blood.  I saw someone post earlier about stippling.  I'd love to have that but I don't know of anyone that does this to 1911's.  Thoughts?

Thoughts?  Yeah, Ramen noodles....ten for a buck.

If you "need it now"...just send it for a reliability job, good sights, and a match bushing.  That should hold 'ya.   In the mean time, get used to noodles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top