Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2014 4:45:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 4:49:30 PM EST by Medic712]
Hey all, new to this side of the forum, usually root around in the AR15 side of this forums. My dad bought a AMT hardballer 1911 in the 80s when he turned 21. It was his first gun, and has a lot of sentimental value to me. It is unfortunately just sitting in his safe because after a while of shooting, the front of the receiver seemed to shave off and it is very thin. From what I understand it was because at the time his 1911 was made, the company was using cheaper materials. We'll, regardless of the situation, I want to revive this 1911. I want to add some personal touches to it as we'll. I know the receiver will need to be replaced and have been looking on brownells and midway USA, but want to know what y'all would recommend for a decently priced receiver. The slide is in good order, and the internals on the receiver seem to function pretty well, I do want replace the hammer, but will I need to replace all the internals as well? I also understand that the slide needs to be fitted to the receiver, and was wondering if someone like me who has never tackled this task before could easily do it, or if I should pay a gunsmith. I've seen this service offered online for around 150 200 bucks. And last question, my dad served 21 years in the service and I want to get his squadron logo engraved on some nice wood grips, but I have looked on the internet and it seems that these websites that offer this service are a dime a dozen. I would prefer a reputable website that offers quality service with descent turn around time.

I appreciate all the help and responses in Advance.

Sincerely,
Ryan Medic712
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:56:19 PM EST
Enjoy the AMT as it is and enjoy the memories you have with it.
Buy another 1911 if you want something to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:00:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 8:00:57 PM EST by Snaps]
I'm a big fan of customizing things to suit you better over keeping them to collect dust.

metal was too soft in those from all I've heard but you may not even have to replace it. They make a sort of add in rail

Far as the engraving, these days with laser engraving it's all pretty easy actually you don't need to find a fancy place to do it.

If it's your first try doing fitting yourself could be tricky. It's a lot of fitting, lapping and hitting with a hammer (yes really) and I have cracked a caspian slide before.
Top Top