Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 7:48:21 AM EDT
Im in the market for a cheaper 1911 for fun shooting.  I was origionally looking at guns around $450, but i noticed that my Gander Mountain has this model springfield on clearance for $550.  Its an awesome looking handgun thats for sure, but i was wondering if anyone else owns one.  Hows the trigger on it and how does it shoot?  Also, will SWC handloads cycle through a 1911 without jamming?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im in the market for a cheaper 1911 for fun shooting.  I was origionally looking at guns around $450, but i noticed that my Gander Mountain has this model springfield on clearance for $550.  Its an awesome looking handgun thats for sure, but i was wondering if anyone else owns one.  Hows the trigger on it and how does it shoot?  Also, will SWC handloads cycle through a 1911 without jamming?  Thanks in advance.

If you can buy an Operator for $550 I think you're getting a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The Operator uses their one-piece barrel instead of SA usual two-piece so it should shoot better.

As for SWC, each 1911 has its own little quirks, no way to say for absolute certainty, IMO.

That's a damn good price, too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's the Mil-Spec Operator

Not the Loaded Operator

The mil-spec isn't on the list at springfields site, I don't remember how I found it, but here it is.Mil-Spec Operator
I got the same deal from GM. The guy working the counter didn't know the difference, and I couldn't find it on their website until after I got it home. I'm not unhappy with my purchase. It's a pleasent gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the Mil-Spec Operator
springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PB9105LT.gif
Not the Loaded Operator
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PX9105L.jpg
The mil-spec isn't on the list at springfields site, I don't remember how I found it, but here it is.Mil-Spec Operator
I got the same deal from GM. The guy working the counter didn't know the difference, and I couldn't find it on their website until after I got it home. I'm not unhappy with my purchase. It's a pleasent gun to shoot.

I think you got a good deal regardless. Congratulations!

All you need now is a beavertail gripsafety and some other minor tweaks... Or I should say, that's what I would do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a good deal, I don't doubt that. It was 200 dollars off list.
I like the grip safety like it is. I don't like the way springfield cut their beavertail.
Most of the other differences are drop ins, and I can pick and choose and probably do it for less money than the loaded.
I was just surprised to find that there were more versions than springfield had listed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like the grip safety like it is. I don't like the way springfield cut their beavertail.

Beavertails are definately a question of taste and fit . I kinda need'em to get a good alignment with the trigger on 1911's (yes, I have small girly hands.)

Most of the other differences are drop ins, and I can pick and choose and probably do it for less money than the loaded.
Oh, without a question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got a good deal, I don't doubt that. It was 200 dollars off list.
I was just surprised to find that there were more versions than springfield had listed.

Congrats on the purchase, hell yeah you got a great deal.  Do they have anymore at that price?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

for us NON gunsmiths, just the low mounted Novaks would make up the $200 difference! Add the ambi safeties and beavertail, and it seems like a better deal to get the Loaded.

I personally like bone-stock guns, to build up to what i would like it to be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for us NON gunsmiths, just the low mounted Novaks would make up the $200 difference! Add the ambi safeties and beavertail, and it seems like a better deal to get the Loaded.

I personally like bone-stock guns, to build up to what i would like it to be.

I agree about the novaks, if the price difference was based on the list, but for 400 dollars, I'll deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I figure id rather load it myself anyways.  Im not too sure what makes those novaks soo great anyways.  Im thinking magazine guide, skeleton hammer, new trigger, new beavertail grip, maybe some rosewood grips, and a nice target rear sight.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top