Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 9:10:59 AM EDT
I've got a mag release button question.

My 1911 takes a slight slap to put the mag in but most if not all the mags don't eject smoothly.  I've got a mix of USGI, Kimber, Chip's mags.  Almost all of them have the same isseus.  I've tried a buddy's new mag with similar results.

Does the mag relase spring needs to be replaced?  It feels stiff.  The spring is original to the first owner and I'm the second owner.  I wouldn't mind replacing the entire setup with an ambi release.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen magazines catch on the release and on the trigger stirrup. If youve tried several mags the catch probably needs a light dressing with a file.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ive seen magazines catch on the release and on the trigger stirrup. If youve tried several mags the catch probably needs a light dressing with a file.

I'll look for the instructions online for the mag release disassembly.  I'll give it a light polish but does that address the stiffness of the spring?  I kinda get the feeling the springs are just stiff if not a little rust on it maybe?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I've put reduced magaqzine catch springs in most of my 1911's. I believe it's #3 that I've used. If you get the slection, you can find one that will suit you.

Don't go too light, or you may find yourself inadvently dropping magazines.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16540/Product/1911_AUTO_REDUCED_POWER_MAG_CATCH_SPRING

That will adress the strength of the magazine release, but it doesn't solve your problem of the magazines hanging up.

Take the magazine catch out of the handgun and look at it, if there is a burr of roughness on the catch itself, try smoothing it out and trying it.

As far as removing the magazine catch, here's a link that I like.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/toolbox.htm

And it's okay if you use a small screwdriver instead of the sear spring to rotate the screw in the magazine catch assembly
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I've actually clipped a loop off one of my mag release springs.  Made it light enough that you can tell, but not too light that it'll let go of the magazine. Haven't had a problem with it so far.  I have plenty of spares so it was an experiment that worked out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look for the instructions online for the mag release disassembly.  I'll give it a light polish but does that address the stiffness of the spring?  I kinda get the feeling the springs are just stiff if not a little rust on it maybe?

If its too stiff that it makes it uncomfortable to activate Brownells has them in varying weights cheap so you can try a couple variations.

The spring wouldnt cause the magazine to drag on ejection unless you can only give a quick pop on the release button.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've put reduced magaqzine catch springs in most of my 1911's. I believe it's #3 that I've used. If you get the slection, you can find one that will suit you.

Don't go too light, or you may find yourself inadvently dropping magazines.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16540/Product/1911_AUTO_REDUCED_POWER_MAG_CATCH_SPRING

That will adress the strength of the magazine release, but it doesn't solve your problem of the magazines hanging up.

Take the magazine catch out of the handgun and look at it, if there is a burr of roughness on the catch itself, try smoothing it out and trying it.

As far as removing the magazine catch, here's a link that I like.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/toolbox.htm

And it's okay if you use a small screwdriver instead of the sear spring to rotate the screw in the magazine catch assembly

Can I just remove the magazine release and catch or do I need to remove the mainspring and everything else behind?

btw, thanks everyone for your input.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The magazine release can be removed without having to remove anything else beforehand.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can I just remove the magazine release and catch or do I need to remove the mainspring and everything else behind?

btw, thanks everyone for your input.

Yes, it can be removed by itself. Also, the latch should not require much force to turn it, so don't force it - you may need to be depressing the catch more or less (or you are trying to turn it the wrong way).

In my two in-possession 1911s (the third still being off with Bob), I have tweaked the catches with a file. Additionally, I use magazine catch springs with a few coils removed - where they are easier to manipulate, but still provide plenty of tension to prevent an unintentional release.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone,

Ok, I've got the mag release out and give it a slight buff to remove sharp edges.

Next question, with the mag release catch out, should the mags slide in and out with a slight friction or should it be smooth where it just drops out if you tilt it down or slide in if you turn up the magazine well?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#10]
should be smooth where it just drops out if you tilt it down. If the mag hangs up remove the follwer and re try.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
How 'bout grip screw length. If they're too long, wouldn't they catch on the mag and cause what you are describing? Back off on all the grip screws and then try your mags.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How 'bout grip screw length. If they're too long, wouldn't they catch on the mag and cause what you are describing? Back off on all the grip screws and then try your mags.

Yes.

I've also seen it where people have a bent or deformed trigger bow that puts pressure on the sides of the mag - not enough to stop it up, but enough to make things more difficult than they should be. The grip screws are a much more common issue, though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I took off the grips, it looks like either the hammer strut or sear spring that is slowing the mag down.

Looks like if it's either I'm over my head on this one, I might find a smith to help out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top