Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2006 12:45:10 PM EDT
My uncle bought 3 of these mags for his Rem 1911 A1 made in 1943.  They didn't fit.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/MAG272-1600-1952.html

I tried them in my kimber...they work fine.

I was under the impression that a 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911.  Apparently not.

Is there a reason these didn't fit his gun, so that we can look for something that does fit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The funny thing is that his old magazines fit just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I should have explained what I meant by "don't fit."  The mag won't even insert into the gun.  It's like the length/width dimensions for the old mags are different.

I'm going to try it with one of my wilson mags tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Let me get this straight.

You have an original Military 1911 and mags that work together.

Then you buy $8 mags from a Discount house - and they dont.

They do however function in your modern made CLONE of the original.

And you think the problem is with older gun?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL,  had to laugh at the last post. but you are so correct aksrule
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
How is a Remington an original but a Kimber is a clone? Here I always thought Colt was the orginal and everything after that whether a military production or not was a "clone". Which in reality it isn't a "clone" either. It is a copy.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
And still, in spite of all the drivel, the POINT is that newer mags don't fit the older gun and it would be nice to know why.

Only SGB seemed to be addressing that issue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How is a Remington an original but a Kimber is a clone? Here I always thought Colt was the orginal and everything after that whether a military production or not was a "clone". Which in reality it isn't a "clone" either. It is a copy.  

Poor word choice but the spirit of the post stands. Remis, Unions, Singers, etc were all built to military spec. They are all true 1911A1s (whereas the Kimber is an often out of spec copy of a 1911A1) just as many companies made true M-14s and Springfield today makes a hollow copy.

ETA (for OP's benefit): If mags don't fit in your Remington Rand, you can bet that they are out of spec. Your Kimber probably has a looser, out of spec magwell (which is probably harmless). Wilsons are the mag to go with for performance. If you insist on the vintage look you are best served with Genuine USGI contract or Colts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top