Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:17:09 AM EDT
Are these easy to install myself or should I wait to have a gunsmith do it?

The front site fell off my "beater" .45 and I really just want another GI-style front sight to replace it. I had considered having it dovetailed, but I don't know if it'd be worth doing on this gun (it's an Auto-ordnance). It seems like something that would be better put onto my Colt.

Anyway, all the gunshops have a three-week back-log of gunsmithing projects and I'd rather not wait that long if I don't have to. Any ideas would be appriciated.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on your skill level and how much you want to spend.  In my opinion, a properly staked front sight is a very durable thing.  

You need a staking tool, and the one Brownells sells that is long is one of the easiest to use.  You need a solid vise, and you might need a Dremel with a small ball cutter for the underside of the sight tenon hole inside the slide.  There needs to be a relief there for the tenon to swage out into.  

Basically, you clean out the tenon hole in the slide, and make a nice ball cut on the underside if there is non.  Make sure the old tenon is not still in there.  Place the slide in a vise, tighten without crushing the sides in, place the sight in the hole, and start banging away.  Most sight stakers come with instructions.  After you're done, you need to dress it so that the bushing has clearance.

Personally, if a gunsmith only has a 3 week backlog, and they will do the labor for under $40 (which would be high), I wouldn't bother doing it myself.  The tool will cost at least $15, and by the time you go through the aggravation, it will be worth it to pay someone.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Get Kings front sight staking tool.
I did one of mine and I didn't use a vise.
I picked up a sight set on e-bay (yeh I know) but I wanted higher profile sights.
I used a couple of phone books to keep the front sight pressed to the slide.
My wife held the slide straight for me.
I used my dremel to have some relief in the slide and remove the extra matrial from the new sight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get Kings front sight staking tool.
I did one of mine and I didn't use a vise.
I picked up a sight set on e-bay (yeh I know) but I wanted higher profile sights.
I used a couple of phone books to keep the front sight pressed to the slide.
My wife held the slide straight for me.
I used my dremel to have some relief in the slide and remove the extra matrial from the new sight.

Sounds like you had the best kind of vise going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top