Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 10:43:14 AM EDT
The safety is broken more specificity the detent tube is sticking out to far to allow for the safety to be deactivated . how do o fix this:?
EDIT: i have kinda fixed it but how do i keep this from happening again
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Replace plunger tube and restake?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^ This would be correct repair.

To get by you may be able to use some red loctite to hold it in until you replace/restake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The safety is broken more specificity the detent tube is sticking out to far to allow for the safety to be deactivated . how do o fix this:?
View Quote

Get a new plunger tube
If you need a staking tool, I have one I can loan you.
There are several good instructional videos on how to stake these.

I have tried to re-stake them in the past, they always loosened up very quicky.
I would suggest a Brown, Wilson, NightHawk or Colt plunger tube.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
OK does anyone know if Sig runs a proprietary plunger tube?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get a new plunger tube

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a new plunger tube

thank you very much for the offer but i think a staking tool would be the least of my worries  as i know just enough about the 1911 to be a dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Sig does not use a proprietary plunger tube
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
A temporary fix would be loc-tite and grips that trap the tube to frame...like JB designed it
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
its a sig call customer service
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the plunger tube loose or did the detent just override the safety lever?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the plunger tube loose or did the detent just override the safety lever?
View Quote

I think both the plunger tube came loose and the detent  is pushing out farther then it should
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
its a sig call customer service
View Quote

That is true, but why lose the weapon for a week or two when this can be properly
fixed for $20 and about 30 minutes time?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont want to send it back home to sig i know they will take care of me' but im on a hot streak in IDPA and i don't want to mess that up i want it fixed fast and local
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
It is a rather easy fix........
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would be my answer also...It's not a hard fix.  Any decent gunsmith in your area can restake it for you if you don't have the tool to do it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're going to hang around 1911's you'll need one (again, I suppose) I use this one ,it's out of stock but works like a champ!:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/staking-tools/plunger-tube-staking-tool-prod9489.aspx

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a crazy idea - clamp it down then put a tack weld on each leg. Grind off the excess and that is a plunger tube that will not loosen again. In case it had to be removed you could grind out the weldment with a rotary tool, but that would be a very rare case. As an alternate, again clamp it and silver-solder (braze) it at each leg. This staking crap is for the birds. I've tried it and then paid a professional to do it again and the *%&#% thing is still just a little loose. However, I admit that when it's done right at the factory you rarely if ever have any trouble with it. My Colts and USGI, no problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
... to take a welder to the frame of a pistol and then grind it down flush..???? SERIOUSLY that's what you'd recommend as a course of action...? You're right....crazy idea.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there visible physical damage?

If not, try spraying a shitload of a rust-reducing oil (Militech-1 or WD-40) into the plunger tube and let it sit. After a while, take off the grips and try to remove the safety from the frame.

I've recently had the plungers and plunger spring rust significantly, and within a period of about a week the whole thing was so filled with rust that I couldn't get the safety to disengage.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont want to send it back home to sig i know they will take care of me' but im on a hot streak in IDPA and i don't want to mess that up i want it fixed fast and local
View Quote

So borrow a pistol from a friend while your Sig is being fixed, CORRECTLY, at the factory. This way your gun will be in good hands, you can continue your winning-streak, albeit with a borrowed gun(as long as it isn't a Glock....) and everything will be right in the world.

How is this a bad idea?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a crazy idea - clamp it down then put a tack weld on each leg. Grind off the excess and that is a plunger tube that will not loosen again. In case it had to be removed you could grind out the weldment with a rotary tool, but that would be a very rare case. As an alternate, again clamp it and silver-solder (braze) it at each leg. This staking crap is for the birds. I've tried it and then paid a professional to do it again and the *%&#% thing is still just a little loose. However, I admit that when it's done right at the factory you rarely if ever have any trouble with it. My Colts and USGI, no problem.
View Quote

Go look up Ned Christiansen's plunger tube and have a good laugh.  

It looks like one of those Darwin fish emblems.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
... to take a welder to the frame of a pistol and then grind it down flush..???? SERIOUSLY that's what you'd recommend as a course of action...? You're right....crazy idea.
View Quote

1911 receivers are not hardened - the heat from two small hits should not affect it, but I of course would defer to a pistol smith who thought otherwise. The 'grinding' would be done with a small file or Dremel, and I fail to see what problem that would cause.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
(significant) chance of ruining a receiver when you need a $30 tool? Hey whatever floats your boat, friend.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
There might be some local smiths that can do it for you.  Where you at in WI?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty interesting thread here:

Plunger tube staking

Check out the pictures in the last link in the post.  Also some decent discussion on how to fix and prevent it from happening again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There might be some local smiths that can do it for you.  Where you at in WI?
View Quote

45 miles south and to the west of greenbay
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I was hoping you'd say something closer to mke.  Because I know an ex Marine armorer who would probably do it in a rather timely manner.  

We need a database of good gunsmiths.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top