Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 4:43:38 AM EDT
I have a friend that recently purchased an 1860 navy Colt. He says it is made by ASM.
Is this manufacturer still around? Do they have a website? Does anyone have any info about them?

Most importantly, is there a way to remove and change the front sight? It shoots high and he wants to put a taller blade on. Any sources for parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Flame
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The black powder revolver front sights attachment varies from maker to maker.
Most of them braze the sight on, so this makes it difficult to remove without heating the barrel to a red heat.
This of course, ruins the bluing.

I'd suggest taking it to a gunsmith for a replacement.
Otherwise, you can try to pull the sight off with Vise-Grips, or drive the sight off with a brass drift and a light hammer.

With the sight off, you're better off making your own replacement from steel, brass, or nickle.
You can attach the new sight with a good strong SOFT solder.
Among the choices is Brownell's Hi-force 44 high strength soft solder:
www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=1211&p=3958

OR you can buy a silver "bearing" soft solder at local hobby shops and at Wal-mart.
Note that this is NOT true silver solder.  It's a higher strength soft solder with about 3% silver added to increase strength and prevent tarnishing of the solder.

All these solders melt at 400 to 600 degrees, which is well under the damaging 1100 degree heat needed for real silver "solder" braze.

When soldering take care to keep the flux off the bluing since this will damage it.

For parts for these guns, the top source is Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee:
www.dixiegun.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like Army/Armi? San Marco. The made good quality replica's but, I'm no authority. Hope the name helps.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. I will pass it along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top