Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/6/2003 9:43:49 AM EDT
Is the Federal Nyclad coating supposed to increase velocity? I may be using it in a 2" snubby, not much runway for any caliber.
Would the Corbon 110gr +p .38spl be a better choice (read: more chance of expansion).
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:46:23 AM EDT
THe Nyclad coating was actually developed to minimize lead in the atmosphere at indoor ranges. Exposure to lead is a well known problem and the minute airborn particles in those venues are a health hazard.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:47:34 AM EDT
IMHO, the standard 158gr LSWCHP +P loads are the only ones that makes the .38 a semi-dependible stopper. Fairly reliable at decent expansion and enough penetration to get the job done out of most barrel lengths.

Nyclad is going to get much hard to locate since Federal discontinued it just recently.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:07:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
IMHO, the standard 158gr LSWCHP +P loads are the only ones that makes the .38 a semi-dependible stopper. Fairly reliable at decent expansion and enough penetration to get the job done out of most barrel lengths.

Nyclad is going to get much hard to locate since Federal discontinued it just recently.

LSWCHP +P made by whom?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:03:29 PM EDT
Federal is my prefered brand just from the accuracy standpoint. However, the loads from Winchester, Remington and CCI all perform similarly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT

Same Same

This is an excellent load for the snubby.

Mark
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:54:19 PM EDT
Isnt that onna them cop killer bullets that goes thru bullet proof vests?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:20:16 PM EDT
The nice thing about the Nyclads (I've used them extensively for years) is that the nylon coating that was used to keep the lead in the air to a minimum for use by PDs in their indoor ranges is much softer than a copper jacket and expands more reliably at lower velocities.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:48:57 PM EDT
The "FBI loads" with the 158 gr LSWCHP +P bullet are as good as any HP load for a .38 snubby. Again, these aren't much of a platform for launching bullets that are already relatively slow. And due to this slow velocity and the problem of this bullet plugging with fabric, it isn't all that likely to expand. But again, it's as good as any other HP .38 load from this barrel length.

In the lightweight snubbies of today, I often carry the 148 gr full lead wadcutters. It doesn't really do anything but it still can cut a wound just as severe or worse than a tappered nose HP bullet that doesn't expand. It has more frontal area. It also is much easier on the shooter and accurate. Penetration is also sufficient.

Between these two loads I would go with whichever was most accurate in my gun. Remember, it's a short barrel .38 so you aren't gonna be getting dramatic performance no matter what you use.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 4:24:12 AM EDT by TampaDave]
Federal still makes a 158 grain lead hollowpoint +P, I think Win does also. Same round as the Nyclad, just without the plastic coating.

Anybody out there carrying frangible rounds?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:15:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TampaDave:
Federal still makes a 158 grain lead hollowpoint +P, I think Win does also. Same round as the Nyclad, just without the plastic coating.

Anybody out there carrying frangible rounds?

I'm not very fond of the frangible loads. The MagSafe, Glaser and the other similar rounds I have seen offer inadequate penetration. For defensive use I have full lead 148 gr wadcutters or Winchester 158 gr LSWCHP +P's on hand.

The .38 isn't exactly puny, but when compared to the better 9mm, .40, .45 or .357 Sig loads, it sure sometimes looks that way. But, what a .38 snubby lacks in raw power it makes up for in size and concealment ability. As with everything, this is just another trade off in the world of compromise. This is why placement is so important, that way if your caliber or bullets aren't that great, they can still be effective. In fact, the best bullets are of little use if the shooter can't deliver them where they need to go.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:28:14 AM EDT
Nyclads will get harder to find as they're now being marketed for law enforcement only.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:42:04 PM EDT
The Nyclad ammo line was first introduced by Smith & Wesson when they had an ammo line, back in the 80's.
I much prefer the standard velocity 125 grain Nyclad HP, formerly known as the "Chief's Special" for lighweight, j-frame size guns.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:21:25 PM EDT
The folks over at Tactical Forums and Ammo Lab say none of the +P loads perform reliably or adequately from 2" barrels. They recommend the lowly 148g Wadcutter.

As Charging_Handle said it still cuts a full caliber hole, no matter what. It penetrates out of proportion to it's velocity. And perhaps best of all - most anybody can control it and may just practice with the little guns because of the wadcutters mild recoil.
Top Top