Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 8:00:31 PM EDT
I've been with my agency for almost exactly 12 years now. Our issue weapon is the P229 in .357SIG with the standard DA/SA trigger.

My first P229 went 38,512 rounds with only one malfunction that wasn't due to bad ammo; my decocking lever spring broke at around round #32,800. Nothing that would stop you in a gunfight, though. She was a bit rattly at the end, more gray than black, and my groups had opened up a bit (flame cutting in the barrel throat that you could see with the naked eye, for one), but she still turned in perfect 300 scores during qual.

My second P229 went 38,846 rounds before she was surveyed for a replacement. No stoppages or malfunctions that were not caused by faulty ammo. About halfway through her service life an SRT kit was installed.

I'm on my third P229 now, with the SRT from Day 1. She has 8,684 rounds through her. The hook broke off my extractor at round #7,595 exactly. Other than that, no issues so far.

The majority of rounds fired have been Speer Gold Dot 125grn and Speer 100grn frangible. On my first P229, there was a bit of Speer Lawman 125grn TMJ as well.

Anyways, I was looking through my round count logs tonight and thought I would share this information.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you average 600 rounds a month?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That's only $150 a month at .25cpr (todays prices).

Imagine all the junk you could cut from the budget and all the practice you could get if one were so inclined.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit, that is alot of shooting - my last duty weapon was lucky to get about 600rds a YEAR put though it. Department did not want to pay for the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I shot close to 600 rds. after work last night. If the range is convenient and you like to shoot, it tends to happen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol I know a couple local guys that shoot 4k a month
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I was our lead Firearms Instructor and was on the range 2 days a week for a period of 4.5 years. Never paid for any of the ammo I shot.

The vast majority of these rounds I shot (all the rounds from pistol #2) were shot during this time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a great service life especially with the pressure of those rounds.  

The .357 Sig is a freight train of a round and highly underrate IMO.  

Our local SD issues it in the Glock 31 and they love it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn!!  I'm about to sell off my Glock 23 so I can get a 229.  Already have a 226, but I wouldn't mind another.  But variety is the spice of life.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I shot close to 600 rds. after work last night. If the range is convenient and you like to shoot, it tends to happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know it is possible.

While in the Army training for a post match I shot at least 500 rounds daily, five days a week for about 4 months.

The last 20 years of my career I was the lead firearms instructor, with the last half of that also being a Rangemaster (At least 3 days a week in addition to training I conducted for my office, I shot at my range)

See avatar... that is me in one of the range booths.

I was wondering if the OP shot that much on the job or if he was shooting on his dime training/competing privately.

I totally can relate to "free ammo" and the ability to access a range 7 days a week. I just never kept a log of rounds fired on a particular weapon.

There were many months during my 20 year career where I shot way more than 600 rounds a month. This was at work and while attending IPSC/USPSA and IDPA.

It is very interesting the log the OP kept on his duty pistol!

ETA: For at least 6 years of my career I carried a SIG P229 in .357 SIG, then I switched to a Glock 32 in .357 SIG. The only reason I switched from .357 SIG was because the last year of my career, my agency no longer allowed private own weapons to be carried and mandated a Glock 22 in .40 S&W to be carried.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was our lead Firearms Instructor and was on the range 2 days a week for a period of 4.5 years. Never paid for any of the ammo I shot.

The vast majority of these rounds I shot (all the rounds from pistol #2) were shot during this time.
View Quote

So you're the reason why the DHS is buying all those evil hollow points ammoz!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't say I'm THE reason, but I certainly did my share!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top