Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 8:44:39 AM EDT
HE himperWhy did S&W decide to stop? ive heard the following excuses from gunshop people:

1) What's a 610?
I just walk out at this point.

2) There's not enough demand for the 10mm.
Hellooo!  10mm fans speak up!  Besides, the .40 is bigger than ever and this gun shoots that too!  That's like saying, "we'll discontinue the 686 because ammo is too expensive."  Most people shoot just .38s through theirs.  I wanted a revolver primarily capable of shooting the "40 Short & Weak" but  being able to blast 10mm is just icing on the cake.

3) Nobody is making a 10mm anymore because the round is too powerful.  It will penetrate body armor and S&W is afraid of lawsuits.
I actually heard this come out of the mouth of some pimple-faced kid working at Jensen's West gunshop in Tucson, Arizona.  I almost strangled him for making such a stupid comment.  Jensens used to be a good place.  If this is so, why are they making those compensated howitzer Z-frame .5000 S&W canons?

Does anyone know why they quit making the 610?  I heard a rumor that Taurus was going to pick up the ball on this one.  Any truth to the rumor?  Is there any hope? 610 fans speak up!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Relatively new 10mm fan here. I got lucky & found a 3" 610 when I went to pickup a colt 10mm DEGC. Bought it BEFORE he took it out of the case. Can't answer your cry for help BUT you will pay about 800 bucks right now for a NEW 610. Be persistent on GB & GA and a used one may come up for less.

BTW - go to 10mmtalk for all things 10mm and glocktalk has a 10mm board - "The 10 Ring"

My meager 10mm collection so far is 2 colt DEGCs, and G20 & the 610. One of the deltas and the 610 are unfired. I really want to shoot the 610 but I'll wait a bit.................

hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I too wish SW would reintroduce the 610.
Production stopped for one reason and one reason only.
PROFIT!!!  (lack of)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
10-4, MTUSA!  Damn those profiteers!!  Imperialists!!!  When will they make a revolver for the common proletariat!!!!
hy
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]
not so fast brothers, Taurus just introduce its 10mm model at the shot show. do a search on glocktalk shot coverage. I had considered getting this 610 (.40) for my uspsa revolver match use, when I do the search for its pros and cons I ended up leaning on  the 625  (.45) Jerry Miculek  4 incher. Most of the players says .45 would just drop in the cylinder much faster than any caliber. This is what Jerry use wen he did the fastest revolveer shoot record. BTW Taurus is one of the best company that can sniff the demand faster than anybody there. I would say S&W will re-introduce  610 when they realize Taurus is making money while they were sleeping. I would say sell your 610 while it's hot, if you're looking for one dump it and get the 625 and get the 610 later.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
nutbad,
If what you are saying is true, I just might be able to sleep again!!  How can I verify this?  You best not be lyin', boy.  Taurus makes fine wheelguns & I would buy one.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
www.shedhorn.com

I think they have 2 or 3 new ones left.  He snapped up all of a limited run he could find.  You can have one I passed over, I was forced to take the one with the tightest lock up and smallest gap.

I'll have to take a few pictures.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it the tracker frame or raging bull?  5 or 6 shot?  If you've got pics, that would be great!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
here you go....  10mm kool aid drinkers.. I'll say wait till S&W re-introduce the 610....get the 625...

Taurus is gettting better and better everyday and cheaper too for $595 says the tag model 10ss8 5 rounds
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
suhweet!  do they come in anything shorter?  Yeah, I like the 625 but I get .40 ammo for free.  I'm assuming these will eat both .40 and 10mm.  What's the model number?  Yeah, I like the 610, but S&W is more expensive and not freakin' available right now.

I called Taurus customer service.  The "customer service" lady there is very rude.  When I asked in my nice voice about the 10mm revolver introduced at the SHOT show, she responded, "(long sigh)  I can't help you unless you give me a model number.  I don't see any 10mms here.  You have to talk to my supervisor and he ain't here today."  Excuuuse me, lady!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The tag looks like ( MODEL 10SS8 ) , remember this is a very hot item just introduce in the shotshow. Those pretty ladies might not have any idea on new products...try the supervisor or the product manager . I hope they'll get this on a shorter model too....
edit to add:

check this out-   http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2006/Day3/DSC07816.jpg

Taurus tracker in 10mm shorter version
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I did call back and talked to a manager who didn't know anything about it.  He put me on hold and talked to the production manager who relayed this:  Its not listed as a product yet because no decision has yet been made at Taurus as to whether full production will happen.  He said they're waiting on customer response from the SHOT show.  He said they won't know for another 3 months.

The supervisor I talked to said he didn't think the gun would shoot .40 because the description he found didn't mention it.  Didn't seem to know much about 10mm revolvers.  Question: Any 610 afficionados out there know why this thing would or would not shoot .40?  It seems pretty straight forward but I was wondering if the 610 has some sort of modification that allows it to shoot .40 that the Taurus may or may not have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the cylinder face relieved to accept moon clips?  If so, should be no problem firing .40's using moon clips.  Without clips the cartidges would slide down into the chamber and the firing pin would not reach them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]
10mm Auto is "rimless" as well, so id imaging the cylinder is recessed for moon clips.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:32:22 AM EDT
[#14]
It would make sense that they machine the cylinder face to accept moon clips but there have been other revolvers (the S&W 9mm for instance) that accepted rimless cartridges without the necessity for moon clips.  The rounds would headspace on a lip cut in the cylinder much like an auto pistol.  Such a system requires a much more complicated extraction system.  I hope that Taurus does come out with a full size 10mm revolver - maybe that will get S&W off their asses to release the 610 again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top