Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 6:11:00 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy a single stack 1911 pistol to be used in USPSA matches.

I really don't want to spend more than $2000.00 on one, but was wondering if the Wilson Combats were really that much more of a pistol than some of the less expensive offerings from Springfield Armory, Kimber, etc.

So what factory produced pistol , brand and model would you choose for a purely competition rig?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You just opened a can of worms!

For my .02, and within your $2000 range, SA 1911's are highly competitive in fit, finish and accuracy.  The higher end semi-custom 1911's are an excellent value.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Kimber Team Match II, good pistol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Be very careful that whever you get is REALLY compliant with USPSA Single Stack division rules. I was an RO and the Western States Single Stack Classic this year, and was surprised to hear about the number of shooters who failed to meet the dimension and weight limits. If the gun you are looking at has a full-length dust shield, a light rail, a big mag funnel, tungsten guide rod, big mag bumpers or heavy grips, it could well fail. Also, be aware that a bull barrel is illegal - you need a regular bushing-type barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Be very careful that whever you get is REALLY compliant with USPSA Single Stack division rules. I was an RO and the Western States Single Stack Classic this year, and was surprised to hear about the number of shooters who failed to meet the dimension and weight limits. If the gun you are looking at has a full-length dust shield, a light rail, a big mag funnel, tungsten guide rod, big mag bumpers or heavy grips, it could well fail. Also, be aware that a bull barrel is illegal - you need a regular bushing-type barrel.

Thanks for letting me know.  I had no idea bushingless barrels were not allowed.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I find a frame with the cut out under the trigger guard where front strap meet, to be the most comforable.

I use an old Kimber pre series II.

Look at  Springfield Armory, STI, Colt.  They sell what you need., A well built basic 1911 with a good trigger and good sights.

Bull barrels would be a no-go in single stack, but your good to go in ltd 10.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I can't believe a light rail would disqualitfy you...that's crazy talk.

I would have said a SA Operator...but given the light rail issue I'll say a SA Loaded (or Colt), then send it to a competent smith for additional work mainly:

Cleaned up trigger / sear / hammer / barrel ramp / mag well
Front Strap checkering
Make sure slide fit is perfect
Target crown the barrel muzzle
Get some sights you like and a grip that feels right for you.
Remove ambi safety for normal unit
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow, I can't believe a light rail would disqualitfy you...that's crazy talk.

I dont think the light rail itself disqualifies but they have very strict dimension and most of them fall outside. I know I couldnt use my TRP because it has the bull barrel and full dust cover

Like was pointed out above I would go over the rules and go from there. Decide if you want adjustable sights or fixed.

Once you figure out what you want most any of the big name guns will do fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Prohibited modifications
and features
•External modifications or features such as weights or devices
to control or reduce recoil (such as, but not limited to, thumb
rests or components which could be used as such).
•Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in
1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or
less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and
conform to factory profile).
•Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling deemed to provide
a competitive advantage.

Permitted features
•External extractors, firing pin blocks, and other factory safety
features.
•Slide – milling permitted only to duplicate a mass-produced
factory slide available to the general public or as required to
insert sights.
•Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no
longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide
stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

Maximum weight Yes, 43 ounces with empty magazine

Maximum size Handgun and all magazines
Yes, handgun with empty magazine
inserted must fit wholly within a box
with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x
6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, -0”)
(8.938” x 6” x 1.625”) (227.01mm x
152.40mm x 41.28mm)
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Les Baer.

Pretty happy with my Briley Versatility also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]

You can't beat the Dan Wesson SSC. Dan Wesson quality with all the custom stuff you need.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
STI
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen a couple of plugs for STI.

Which model would be the best for competitive purposes?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've seen a couple of plugs for STI.

Which model would be the best for competitive purposes?

For sure STI....they have guns built specific to this organization. Check out their website.....

I order from Brazos Custom....great prices and service.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a Springfield Trophy Match or TRP (without rail).  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#16]
STI Spartan would get your in the game pretty cheaply, and you could use the money you saved to buy a nice holster, lots of mag pouches, and even more mags. Trust me, you will need them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
You have 2K to spend?  I would either have a gunsmith that shoots USPSA build you one or take a Springfield loaded model and send it to one of them to be tuned with all the goodies.  In my opinion no box 1911 is going to be the best at USPSA.  Everybody wants something different with their guns.  I prefer a .40 with a SVI magwell, wide ambis, FO front sight in the .090 width, extreame trigger guts, SVI long flat trigger, and if the barrel needs to be replaced a egw bushing with a Schuemann barrel.  They just don't come from the factory like that and if you look at the parts there isn't much left but the frame and slide.  That is why I suggest having one built.  If you just want a nice 1911 that your going to be shooting gun games with then yeah a box gun probably would work but if you want the best gun to shoot gun games with it needs to be setup for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You have 2K to spend?  I would either have a gunsmith that shoots USPSA build you one or take a Springfield loaded model and send it to one of them to be tuned with all the goodies.  In my opinion no box 1911 is going to be the best at USPSA.  Everybody wants something different with their guns.  I prefer a .40 with a SVI magwell, wide ambis, FO front sight in the .090 width, extreame trigger guts, SVI long flat trigger, and if the barrel needs to be replaced a egw bushing with a Schuemann barrel.  They just don't come from the factory like that and if you look at the parts there isn't much left but the frame and slide.  That is why I suggest having one built.  If you just want a nice 1911 that your going to be shooting gun games with then yeah a box gun probably would work but if you want the best gun to shoot gun games with it needs to be setup for you.

In SS? First person I've ever known to be shooting a .40 in that division. How much clearance in the box does the SVI magwell leave you?

To the OP:
If you're after something without too many frills, a Springfield Trophy Match (or just a loaded) or the STI Spartan may serve you well. Be warned, however - you will soon want to dump ungodly sums of money into this sport.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In SS? First person I've ever known to be shooting a .40 in that division. How much clearance in the box does the SVI magwell leave you?

Drop me an email and I'll send you pics....it clears quite nicely with Tripp research system mags.  Hell come down to our USPSA match sunday and I'll show you!  www.bgslinc.com

Send me email if you want to discuss it I don't want to hijack the OP thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd look at a STI Trojan.

My Springfield Loaded need a shitLoad of work right out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're just getting into competition, I would suggest going with a production 1911, SA, STI, Dan Wesson, Colt, or even a S&W, something under $1,000.  You're going to learn a lot in just the first few months of shooting competition, and its quite likely you'll change your mind on what you want more than once in that time.  

I'm a big fan of SA, and if you're set on spending over $1,000, I'd suggest looking at a TRP without the rail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The TRP without the rail is a nice looking pistol, and they have a very good reputation.  That's what I'd pick up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top