Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2014 6:01:43 AM EDT
Does the MC Operator offer anything the Colt doesn't? I have an opportunity to buy a brand new MC Operator for $1080 and I'm tempted, but I'm not sure why I'd buy one with basically the same thing at home already. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Want and need are almsot never equal in the handgun world once you own at least one.

You dislike 80 series safties? made with non union labor?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Want and need are almsot never equal in the handgun world once you own at least one.

View Quote
Never really had anything against series 80 safeties, but I'm not too experienced with 1911's. Not too concerned with the union labor either considering I'm a reluctant steel worker

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't say the Springfield offers anything over the Colt, other than the OD green frame.

I'd prefer the Springfield if I had the option, and didn't already have one or the other.

At least you have the classic looking Rail Gun and not the booger colored one.

If you have the money, and that price is OTD with no tax, pick up the Springfield.

Shoot them both and I guarantee you could sell the other for at least what you paid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never really had anything against series 80 safeties, but I'm not too experienced with 1911's. Not too concerned with the union labor either considering I'm a reluctant steel worker  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You like more min?

Really no reason to purchase it, uless you want it, then the reasons can be as off the wall as I posted.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you looking to replace the rail gun? Is there anything wrong with it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a fan of both.   I like the Series 80 and Colt builds a solid pistol.  

I have to get rid of the ILS and Ti firing pin in the Springfield.  

The ambi safety has to go from both.  

All the Colt needs is a 16lb ISMI recoil spring and a Colt or EGW thumb safety.  

In this case, I'd recommend to buy $3K rounds of  ACP ammo and try to wear that Colt out....
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Id keep the colt personally.

Im a springfield guy
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Id keep the colt personally.

Im a springfield guy
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#9]
See, the shoe is on the other foot for me. I have an MC operator and want a rail gun as I'm a Colt fanboy but I just can't justify it until I find a deal to good to pass up on the Colt but I'll keep both. This is coming from somebody with an admitted 1911 addiction though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
The price is $1080 cash and carry. My buddy has it so no tax, paperwork, etc. There is nothing wrong with the Rail Gun and I guess the only reason I'd buy the MC Operator would just be to have one or to have one big item to trade/sell in the future. I googled some comparisons and it seems to boil down to personal preference. I didn't know if the MC Operator offered anything that wasn't covered in biased opinion.

MC Operator in question (he has the original grips too and it was purchased new two months ago):

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
get both.

clown
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]
It has tritium sights, the Colt doesn't. I would prefer the Colt, but both are good. If it were a Long Beach MC Operator, there would be no question. I don't know why SA will not release a Long Beach to the public.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Night sights.

SA will also have a great trigger. I don't know if comparable Colts do or not.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
You should never need a "reason" to buy another gun...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
1. Good Grips
2. Better finish
3. Tritium Night Sights
4. Better warranty service( i had a rail gun at colt for 8 months to fix a warranty issue. 8 months) if needed
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Get both... and you named the reasons... "buying from a buddy FTF, no tax or paperwork"...

If you don't buy it, you'll regret it down the road.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Some deals I had set up fell through so I wasn't able to buy it. Bought an ACOG instead. He still has it and is looking to trade now, so I might end up fo'ing. We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Need? No
Can never have too many guns though

I'd buy another rail gun first. The other option would be a LB operator, I don't care for the green
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top