Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2014 10:29:03 AM EDT
I just watched a hickok45 video of the G42. While shooting buffalo bore, the slide would lock back with rounds still in the mag. He tried it again while keeping his thumb way out of the way to eliminate that as a cause. It still locked back. I think it is the more powerful load slamming the slide back harder and jolting the mag catch up. It doesn't happen every time, but for defensive carry it happens way too often.

He stated it happened off camera before videoing, then it happened on camera. Then he tried it with a different magazine, it didn't happen, but he only tested 2 rounds (3rd, which was final, does't count)... So that does not rule other mag out, or blame first mag.

This can be an issue as some are saying 380 with +P is as good as 9mm... Thus this G42  is a viable defensive carry. After seeing how it malfunctions with +P I wouldn't go that route.

For that caliber, I rather have the smaller Kahr. For that size gun, I rather have the Shield in 9mm.

Really no conclusions can be made from one video, but this question needs to be discussed and tested. What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LskihWv3ALw
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just watched a hickok45 video of the G42. While shooting buffalo bore, the slide would lock back with rounds still in the mag. He tried it again while keeping his thumb way out of the way to eliminate that as a cause. It still locked back. I think it is the more powerful load slamming the slide back harder and jolting the mag catch up. It doesn't happen every time, but for defensive carry it happens way too often.

He stated it happened off camera before videoing, then it happened on camera. Then he tried it with a different magazine, it didn't happen, but he only tested 2 rounds (3rd, which was final, does't count)... So that does not rule other mag out, or blame first mag.

This can be an issue as some are saying 380 with +P is as good as 9mm... Thus this G42  is a viable defensive carry. After seeing how it malfunctions with +P I wouldn't go that route.

For that caliber, I rather have the smaller Kahr. For that size gun, I rather have the Shield in 9mm.

Really no conclusions can be made from one video, but this question needs to be discussed and tested. What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LskihWv3ALw
View Quote

380 ACP is in no way the equal of 9mm Luger, "+P" or not.  If you are going to carry a 380 you need to understand the compromise you are making choosing a mouse gun cartridge over a service pistol cartridge.  +P above is in quotes because "380 +P" is not a SAAMI recognized cartridge.  As such there is no way for a manufacturer to certify a pistol for use with 380 +P.  All you know with ammo labeled as 380 +P, is that it is over loaded.  Could be 10%.  Could be 30%.

As for the GLOCK 42 and 380 +P ammo, who knows.  This is brand new gun with a few samples out there, we just received to first one at work today.  It is a pretty nice feeling little pistol.  And the trigger is the clear winner over all the small 380 guns I have tried, P380, P3AT, LCP, TCP, Bodyguard.  I will not be getting one, because I have no use for a .380 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Like previous poster you will not see much difference anyways other than felt recoil going to +P .380ACP.  If you want a handgun to have 9mm Para (Luger) power get a 9mm Para (Luger) and not bother with .380 all together.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
So you don't see a benefit in going from a bullet rated by the factory at 1000fps (but which really manages 850fps) to an honest 1200fps?
I do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I did notice that when he hit the swinging arm target on the left, it did not swing the target around...barely moved it.  Watch it get hit by the 9s and 40s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you don't see a benefit in going from a bullet rated by the factory at 1000fps (but which really manages 850fps) to an honest 1200fps?
I do.
View Quote

Reliability is more important than bullet velocity.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do.
View Quote

A .380 hollowpoint moving at 1200 FPS will most likely over expand and under penetrate, or if ball will over penetrate.  You dont gain much with any hollow point 95 gr .35 caliber bullet moving at 1200 FPS....

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Provide the SAAMI spec for .380 +P and I'll ask Glock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
There will never be a +P spec from saami due to the proliferation of cheap or antique 380's. This does not mean that modern, well made 380 pistols cannot handle ammo made for better performance than the major manufacturers produce.
Buffalo Bore tests their +P 380 ammo in a Beretta 84. Underwood tests theirs in a PPK.
As far as Hickock45's test, he is not the only one to see this malfunction. On another well known Glock forum, a new owner of a G42 experienced the same problem using standard Speer Gold Dots. I have no doubt that the bullets themselves may be tripping the slide lever.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I watched 120 rounds go thru one tonight, straight out of the box. No malfunctions. It wasn't +P, I believe it was 100 Winchester FMJ & 20 Winchester PDX1. Recoil looked really smooth and it was as accurate as any Glock I've seen. For whatever that's worth.

ETA: This was over the course of about 20 minutes, so fairly quickly with 2- 6 rd. mags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from a distributor show in Ft. Worth Texas and the first day we shot all the new guns, including the Glock 42 and 41. That 42 was the star of the show, along with the new Remington R51.

That Glock 42 probably had close to 2,000 rounds through it just by the end of that day and it was running like a top, they will handle +P no problem. Very easy and fun to shoot, I did not think I would like them as much as I do now after having shot one. Do want!!!

As for the Remington R51.....meh. Great trigger but grip safety kinda ruins it, it's not like a 1911 or xd, it does require some force to engage it, kinda like a squeeze cocker from a P7 just reversed and not as long of a travel. I guess if you trained with it a bunch, it could be a good gun but I don't think it's so good that it's worth choosing over other similarly sized options out there. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

There isn't one.  Anybody selling +P .380 is selling out of spec ammo.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Underwood and Buffalo Bore are well respected ammo manufacturers who make excellent, high performance ammo, intended for modern, high quality firearms.
Both make ammo which they label as "380 +P" in order to differentiate it from the run of the mill USA, lawyer approved attenuated ammo designed to not damage antiques. "+P", while used by SAAMI as a designation, is not a trademark, or otherwise limited to their use.
If I owned a Glock 42, I would happily shoot +P through it, just as I shoot +P+ Winchester Ranger 127gn through my G26 and G17...
Oh, and by the way, "+P+" is not a SAAMI approved ammo designation, either...I guess Winchester is selling "out of spec" ammo also. Probably come as a big surprise to those departments issuing it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Underwood and Buffalo Bore are well respected ammo manufacturers who make excellent, high performance ammo, intended for modern, high quality firearms.
Both make ammo which they label as "380 +P" in order to differentiate it from the run of the mill USA, lawyer approved attenuated ammo designed to not damage antiques. "+P", while used by SAAMI as a designation, is not a trademark, or otherwise limited to their use.
If I owned a Glock 42, I would happily shoot +P through it,
View Quote

As I said.  They are selling out of spec ammo, at a completely unknown pressure level.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Edited out the part about +P+, didn't you. Why, doesn't fit your opinions?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wasn't relevant.  Anything labeled +P+ is also out of spec.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NONSENSE
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As I said.  They are selling out of spec ammo, at a completely unknown pressure level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I owned a Glock 42, I would happily shoot +P through it,

Or its just a near Max regular .380 load mislabled. Those are the only two options.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes same problem with my Glock  42 and I think the bullets are hitting the slide stop lever...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes same problem with my Glock  42 and I think the bullets are hitting the slide stop lever...
View Quote

What ammo? Please.

ETA: we should start a list of ammo that does this in the 42.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

NONSENSE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NONSENSE

Interesting; please post the SAAMI Spec. For +P+ in some of the most popular handgun calibers because I'm always willing to learn something new.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

NONSENSE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't relevant.  Anything labeled +P+ is also out of SAAMI spec.

NONSENSE

Edited to clarify for you.  It maybe (hopefully is) with in the specific manufacturers specs, but +P+ anything is out of spec regarding SAAMI Standards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#23]
It was doing it with Gold Dot 90 grain.  I was going to try WInchester T series, but the ogive is even bigger than the Gold Dot, and clearly hits the slide stop when I load a magazine and take off the slide.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There will never be a +P spec from saami due to the proliferation of cheap or antique 380's. This does not mean that modern, well made 380 pistols cannot handle ammo made for better performance than the major manufacturers produce.
Buffalo Bore tests their +P 380 ammo in a Beretta 84. Underwood tests theirs in a PPK.
View Quote

Exactly.  Besides, consider:

1) LOCKED BREACH vs.

2) BLOWBACK

Most 380s made since the year 1900 are blow-back, not locked breach - and that restricts the ammo they can handle to much lower pressure; otherwise the case will give way.  Besides, owners of 100-year old 380s generally are too clueless to realize the recoil spring is also 100+ years old & probably won't handle Buffalo Bore's hottest offerings for long.

Locked breach guns in the 380 caliber are a recent trend.  Theoretically, they can handle much, much hotter ammo. Possibly as hot as some SAAMI STANDARD PRESSURE 9x19mm loads with lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  Just as with ."40 S&W +p"  ,  all you know for certain about the ammo is that it may well be loaded to pressure levels beyond those established by SAAMI.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone know what type of ammo--specifically bullet type--was being shot when these random slide locks occurred?  Was it round nose FMJ or a hollow pt with a wide/large opening?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Buffalo Bore were Hollow Points.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
More G42 woes.

Miculek.com Glock 42 video.
View Quote

Not exactly confidence inspiring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top