Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 2:58:45 AM EDT
Just curious how well they work out.
I'm looking to start carrying appendix but would like the holster to be versatile in position. I see a lot of holsters advertised but little mention of how well they wear when worn "traditionally" or at 3-6oclock. I'm looking to buy a t-rex arms light-compatible raptor for a glock 17 w/tlr-1s. Any input specifically with the raptor would be appreciated but I'd like to hear from others as well, good or bad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
They can be work at 3-4 oclock with varying degrees of comfort. I like my Raptor, but ive never worn it anywhere but appendix position so I cant say. My build and style of dress isn't conducive to hip carry at all, but others have worn them on the hip and like how they conceal.

FWIW though, the claw on the raptor works best in the appendix position, it may be uncomfortably snug to the body in some other positions but you can always just pop the claw off when you run it on the hip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Just depends.  In my experience "straight drop" holsters intended for appendix carry usually cause the grip to stick out a lot when carried on/near the hip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know squat about holsters but cut and style wise, are they suited for normal carry? Most appendix holsters (from what I've seen) have a low sweat guard as to not dig into your gut. I do like how the raptor comes with 3 different clip and belt options.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know squat about holsters but cut and style wise, are they suited for normal carry? Most appendix holsters (from what I've seen) have a low sweat guard as to not dig into your gut. I do like how the raptor comes with 3 different clip and belt options.
View Quote

I run all of my appendix holsters with full sweatguards, it does not poke you at all when the gun is holstered because the slide is there regardless. However, when the holster is empty it will poke you in the stomach if you bent over, but how often are we doing that?

My reasoning for the full sweat guard is mainly keeping heat from the slide off of my stomach, as well as keeping a little sweat off the slide of the gun. I try to take at least 4-6 pistol courses a year(8hr courses), and I always run them from concealment and in the appendix position because that is the only way that I carry in public. After long strings of fire and the sun heating up the gun on a hot day, you will appreciate having the sweat guard there to deflect some heat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I run all of my appendix holsters with full sweatguards, it does not poke you at all when the gun is holstered because the slide is there regardless. However, when the holster is empty it will poke you in the stomach if you bent over, but how often are we doing that?

My reasoning for the full sweat guard is mainly keeping heat from the slide off of my stomach, as well as keeping a little sweat off the slide of the gun. I try to take at least 4-6 pistol courses a year(8hr courses), and I always run them from concealment and in the appendix position because that is the only way that I carry in public. After long strings of fire and the sun heating up the gun on a hot day, you will appreciate having the sweat guard there to deflect some heat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a Way of the Gun class using an INCOG.  I didn't have any trouble with the rear portion of the slide getting hot, but the muzzle end was very uncomfortable with an open-end holster!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently purchased a holster from Tulster (I'm not affiliated in any way) out of Oklahoma.  Web site advertised it as AIWB, but mentioned they have customers who carry at 3 o'clock position, which is my preference.  I took a chance as it was fairly pricey, but I liked the cut of the holster (very minimalist but still had a high sweat guard), and it had adjustable cant. I've been running it for about two weeks, and have no complaints. At the bottom they do bring the two sides together taco style, which will keep a hot muzzle from touching any skin.  I did e-mail them (after I already received this one) to ask if they could make one for the P320 with an XC-1. They replied quickly, not at this time, but they were looking into some new designs with light options.
I really like it, and would recommend it to others.
Here are a few pics.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I took a Way of the Gun class using an INCOG.  I didn't have any trouble with the rear portion of the slide getting hot, but the muzzle end was very uncomfortable with an open-end holster!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel you there, my holster is open bottom as well. Just wait until youre firing from inside a vehicle and get a piece of hot brass down your holster.....ask me how I know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top