Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2012 10:41:34 AM EDT
I thought about cutting my barrel down to be flush with the grip/frame and putting on a suppressor. I figured the barrel would be about 1 to 1.5" right?
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]

You may hit a barn door with it, assuming you were standing on the door at the time.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a description of the barrel being a free float from the breach out to the end with a O-ring set up at the muzzle end. I am not sure if you can just cut it down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be worried about baffle strikes, but maybe I'm ill informed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Mechanical accuracy wouldn't be affected, really. Barrel length matters little for that.

Kind of a neat idea, let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saw a description of the barrel being a free float from the breach out to the end with a O-ring set up at the muzzle end. I am not sure if you can just cut it down.

This, if I were going to try this I'd cut down a steel barrel gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mechanical accuracy wouldn't be affected, really. Barrel length matters little for that.

Kind of a neat idea, let us know how it goes.

I agree , but you then face practical accuracy. The whole thing of not haveing a front sight is bound to affect accuracy a tad

Does one try to hang a sight on the can or do you go to a red dot or something?

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Prepare yourself for disappointment with sound levels. Most of the powder will still be burning as it enters the can.
Also, this could only be done on a solid steel barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Prepare yourself for disappointment with sound levels. Most of the powder will still be burning as it enters the can.
Also, this could only be done on a solid steel barrel.

Well, I guess I should have used a different gun then the one pictured; I would actually be doing this with a regular bull barreled MKIII. I would also be using a Sparrow SS. The whole concept of my project would be to have a compact and suppressed MKIII. Obviously, Gemtech makes a permanent suppressed platform, but I like the idea of having an uber-short barrel with a removable suppressor. The suppressor would take care of any unburned powder or cycling issues. I figured I could easly pick up a used MKIII upper off of gunbroker and have in cut down a threaded. I could also relocate the front sight, or go completely without them; as training would negate a real use for sights, especially at close ranges.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The suppressor would take care of any unburned powder or cycling issues.

Not necessarily with a barrel THAT short. Again - you'd have probably less than an inch of real rifled barrel with which to build pressure to operate the action.

And it would still be louder than a gun with a barrel long enough to burn the powder. The problem I would be in biggest fear of is bullet stability.

I REALLY like your concept and am considering doing it myself, but here is how I intend to go about it:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa143/friscochris/3900.jpg

The red is the turned down bull barrel inside a reflex can.

Of course, this is a custom made kind of arrangement.

Isn't there a can company that already does something like that? I can't remember who it is though.

ETA) An entire suppressed upper for the MK series. pistols, I mean.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top