Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:25:22 PM EDT
I have a MKIII and the front sight has come loose after about 200 rounds . I had the barrel threaded and apparently blue Loctite was used when the front sight was installed and it didn't last. It looks like it was just a very little and only covered half of the threads, so was this not enough or should I just use the red?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean and degrease the threads and use blue again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Clean and degrease the threads and use blue again.

This, use brake cleaner on all the threads and let dry before you use the blue loctite. Red is pretty much forever unless you bring up the metal temps to 400-450F.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't use the red on any firearm, especially smaller fasteners.  The red is designed to be permanent, and you'd probably strip the head trying to remove the screw.  Stick with the blue.

I'm a distributor of threadlockers, including loctite.

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Clean up the threads and use Blue.  You should be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top