Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2011 11:01:06 PM EDT
Hey guys im seriously on the fence for which .22 pistol to buy first. Pros and cons to both. The ruger is reliable and can see huge round counts without issues. The GSG seems great and is so much sexier in my opinion. I just cant decide which to get....... My local gun store can order me a GSG 1911 or a 22/45. For those that would recommend I go with the RUGER first, which model between these two would you pick? The 5.5" bull barrel with adjustable sight and replaceable grips or the cheaper 4.5" slab sided barrel model with fixed rear sight and grip? Thanks so much for the opinions and help on this matter!!  Please note I have really narrowed it down to these particular models after lots of research and would like to note that ease of cleaning is not a factor for me so it wont sway me as a deciding factor. Thanks again!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
22/45 with the adj sights and replaceable grips.  Much nicer frame than the plain one.  That gun will be destined to be an heirloom that your grandkids will learn to shoot with.  Get the GSG to play with later.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The above is my advice as well. I have both, I love both, but if it was down to only one, the Mark III (or in my case, a MK II) would win, every time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the help guys!! I went and ordered the 5.5" bull barrel model MKIII with removable grips. All distributors were out so I have to play the waiting game..... Cant wait. Thanks so much!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Not ever in the same class. The Ruger is FAR superior then the GSG in every way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have many Rugers and the GSG-1911.  I like the GSG a lot, but the Rugers would win out easily if I had to choose.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have many Rugers and the GSG-1911.  I like the GSG a lot, but the Rugers would win out easily if I had to choose.

Ditto.... my GSG is a hoot to shoot, but for longevity, my Rugers will be there foreverrrrrrrrrrr.... At least until the Democrats take them away (or try to).  But if you can afford it, get both.  A man can never have too many guns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Of the two I'd choose the Ruger. Then I'd delete the mag safety to have a lawyer free gun that is easy to disassemble as opposed to the factory configuration that requires you to insert and remove the mag eleventy billion times to strip it.

I have a 5.5 and a 4 inch bull barrel with adjustable sights. I swapped uppers and now have the 4" barrel on top of the frame with replaceable grip panels, a rail, and a C-More sight on it for my steel challenge gun. The 5.5 may have had a slight edge in accuracy but it was VERY slight and the added weight with the heavy sight made it extremely slow to transition from target to target and then inertia would take over and it was even harder to stop.

What I've created now out of these two is "my" perfect competition pistol while I build the other frame with tacsol/volquartsen parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always liked Ruger .22 pistols.... but the triggers are shameful, even with replacement parts....  but I do believe they will out-last a GSG...

That said, since getting the GSG's, the Ruger's haven't been out of the safe since...
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I was looking hard at the GSG 1911...when I finally got one in my hands, it felt cheap...I was very disappointed...I decided I'd get the latest 22/45 with threaded barrel and picatinny rails.  I figured the Ruger would cost me less since I'd have to buy an adapter to use my suppressor with the GSG 1911.  I'm glad I went with the 22/45...spare mags are too expensive for the GSG.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
spare mags are too expensive for the GSG.

When I was deciding between the 22/45 and the GSG I looked into spare mag's for each: gsg around $30 each. 22/45: got at buds for $15 each.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
You're a where as steel a good for decades (mine in '62), will literally severally against ZINC?
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You're a where as steel a good for decades (mine in '62), will literally severally against ZINC?

What?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

I'm with the confused guy
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

I'm with the confused guy

Did he accidentally the whole thing?

I'd go with the ruger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Browning Buckmark.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
MK III
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pondering the same thing.  I'll probably get the Ruger P512MKIIIRP, a 22 45, blue, replaceable grip panels, 5.5" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm too this guy, agree him 100...  
Ruger metal is indeed good and does indeed come from somewhere that has been around for decades...  And he's also right about zinc.  Why do you have something against ZINC?  Zinc is good for cellular metabolism and immune system support!  I personally thing its a very under rated mineral and should be supplemented along with a good daily Multi-Vitamin.

OP, get the Ruger first, if for no other reason than the fact that its an American company that more importantly, I own stock in... LOL
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both.  the GSG is for sale: the ruger isn't....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top