Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:56:18 PM EDT
No longer am I with out a 1911.  Although, I have had a Aegis Ultra II for several years, I purchased it for the wife, and have always considered it hers.

I have wanted to build a full size for myself for a long time.  This got underway when a coworker gave me a Springfield 9mm slide and barrel.  My gun is not a tradition 1911, as can be seen in the pictures, as I have more modern tastes.

My Tokarev project as originally completed.

UPDATES, March 26, 2010:

How my Tokarev project looks today with its second barrel.  I must admit, I do agree that 1911s look best with the barrel crowned flush with the bushing.  This new barrel is made with a full length stainless liner in a old GI 45acp barrel.

UPDATE, April 23, 2010:

Changed hosting.  All of my pictures are reposted here from trough out this thread:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
it's about what you want, not everybody else
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It is now chambered for 7.62x25mm Tokarev.  I have all 9mm's so I decided to branch out to a new cartridge.  One which I have always wanted, but have never found a pistol I liked chambered for it.  After school, one of the first guns I had intended to buy was a CZ52.  Once I gotten to play with a few it was clear it was not a pistol for me.  The TT-30 and its decedents are more agreeable to me and I will likely get one of those as well, since I know have a few rounds of Tokarev around.  I always thought a 1911 in Tokarev would be fantastic.  And when I realized I had all I needed to make a 1911 pistol in 7.62x25mm I had to do it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
And here are a bonus pair of high dynamic range glamor photographs.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely unique!

From the pics though, it looks like there's a gap between the barrel and breechface of the slide?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorta want....

ETA: After seeing part 2, holy fuck dude, that's skills. Now, I really want.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it's about what you want, not everybody else

No doubt.  I just wanted to warn those faint of heart.  

Quoted:
Definitely unique!

From the pics though, it looks like there's a gap between the barrel and breechface of the slide?

All 1911s have this gap, only the hood comes close to making contact.  I did a different type of flared ejection port, instead of the usual scallop.  I cut from the hood recess out at a 15 degree angle.  It was something I have wanted to try and I like the looks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
that sick so you literally made it yourself?  did you mill the slide too?  looks good.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All 1911s have this gap, only the hood comes close to making contact.  I did a different type of flared ejection port, instead of the usual scallop.  I cut from the hood recess out at a 15 degree angle.  It was something I have wanted to try and I like the looks.

You're right, only the barrel hood comes close to the breechface, and the slide usually projects forward more around the extractor at the rear of the ejection port and also comes close to the end of the chamber as well.  But, you answered my poorly worded question!  Looks cool!

ETA:  What's the recoil like with it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, NO, it WAS about what you want until you did this.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
that sick so you literally made it yourself?  did you mill the slide too?  looks good.

Well, I am a professional gunsmith.  This was however the first time I have machined a 1911 barrel from a blank, even if only half way, and only the second 1911 I have built this year.  I do not do many pistol builds, my customer builds are almost all hunting rifles.  I do a lot of pistol tune up work, trigger jobs and such.

On this pistol I; Fit the slide and frame, Lightened the slide, Cut and installed the Novaks, Lowered and flared the ejection port, High cut the trigger guard, cut and fit the frame for the Wilson safety, and of course the necessary trigger work.  Although the trigger is set at five pounds, it can be tuned down to three just by the sear spring.  I am a Glock shooter, and run NY1 trigger springs by choice, so the typical 1911 trigger is not to my taste.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like a fun gun.  Any Idea what the velocities of what your frankengun puts out?  I bet that sucker is loud.  I don't really like the AR-15 flash hider, as it sort of seals the bastardization of your gun, maybe a custom comp that matches the profile of your gun would make the package more homogenized.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not sure what ^^he was saying but, I'd buy one!

ETA, Minus the FH though.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
That upper with an STI double stack lower would quite possibly be the coolest pistol ever.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That upper with an STI double stack lower would quite possibly be the coolest pistol ever.

After I added it all up, I could have bought and used a Caspian Hi Cap frame for only about $150 more.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]
A guy that can do machine work and take great pix. Can i marry you??

Beautiful work on the gun. Does have the bark that the 30 Tok is well known for??
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A guy that can do machine work and take great pix. Can i marry you??

Beautiful work on the gun. Does have the bark that the 30 Tok is well known for??

Just a bit over three months too late.

As far as the bark, I could not tell you.  I was not paying attention when I test fired it.  I was more worried about it blowing up and such.  I will pay more attention this weekend and let you know.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Very interesting and quality work. It would appeal more to me without the FH but I doubt if you were trying to appeal to my tastes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Very interesting and quality work. It would appeal more to me without the FH but I doubt if you were trying to appeal to my tastes.

Honestly, I am not in love with the flash hider.  I threaded the barrel because I could, and I can always remove the threads if I want.  I was planning on a 3 prong, but those are no longer available from the vendor I regularly order from.  I test fired it with a pair of LWD thread protectors, and I am thinking about just using a EGW AR15 thread protector.  Or I will make a custom small diameter three or four prong hider.  The A2 is definitely not what I have envisioned, but for now it will keep the treads safe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#21]
sweeet
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice machine work! where in AZ are you? I need to have a Mauser re-barreled.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
You sir are a badass

teach me the ways
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I am not in love with the flash hider.  I threaded the barrel because I could, and I can always remove the threads if I want.  I was planning on a 3 prong, but those are no longer available from the vendor I regularly order from.  I test fired it with a pair of LWD thread protectors, and I am thinking about just using a EGW AR15 thread protector.  Or I will make a custom small diameter three or four prong hider.  The A2 is definitely not what I have envisioned, but for now it will keep the treads safe.

It needs something poky like a tromix or the like.

Either way that is a very cool setup
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
just out of curiosity...... what would the cost be to get one of those made up with a double stacked lower......... just curious....  somthing i might like to add to my collection in a year or 2 (i wil ltake me that long to save up for it probably)

by the way beautiful work and great pix
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
How are you getting standard length Tok ammo in the mag?  In some of the pictures it looks like the bullets have been seated deeper than how they come in the box?

Love the look of the pistol, but yeah, the A2 has to go
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
That is just so badass.  

I wonder what the fireball would be like in a Commander?

When the drop-in conversion kit comes out, I'll take a Commander length.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How are you getting standard length Tok ammo in the mag?  In some of the pictures it looks like the bullets have been seated deeper than how they come in the box?

Love the look of the pistol, but yeah, the A2 has to go

Using 38SA magazines, I have found I can easily load four unaltered Tok' cartridges, and with some extra effort six cartridges, both will function fine.

If I want nine or ten rounds in the mag, I have to seat the bullets back to 1.250" OAL.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nicely done!

I'd say drop the A3 as well, get the YHM Wraith flash supressor so you can use their sound 9mm supressor

Was about to say that.

This is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#34]
so badass!! that slide is beautiful!
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#35]
SWEET!

Link Posted: 11/6/2009 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I dig it, even with the A2.  A can would look a bit sweeter though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I have tried Colt, Wilson, and Mec-Gar magazines with 7.62x25 Tok.

With the Mec-Gar, I could get 6 rounds to load.

Now, the Chinese converted some M1911A1s to 7.62x25.  I understand they squeezed the magazine bodies, and removed material from inside the front of the magazine well to accomodate the now longer magazine.

I admit to having been tempted to do this.  So far, I have resisted the urge.

Maybe it is time to reconsider this project.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have tried Colt, Wilson, and Mec-Gar magazines with 7.62x25 Tok.

With the Mec-Gar, I could get 6 rounds to load.

Now, the Chinese converted some M1911A1s to 7.62x25.  I understand they squeezed the magazine bodies, and removed material from inside the front of the magazine well to accomodate the now longer magazine.

I admit to having been tempted to do this.  So far, I have resisted the urge.

Maybe it is time to reconsider this project.

I have still to find one of those Chinese 1911s.  I do have the intel on their Tok chambered Sten guns... not about to start surgery on my 1911s...
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Lengthening the frame of a .38 Super, and squeezing the magazine to be a little bit longer sounds just like the kind of low technology, simple tool, high labor WECSOG approach that I am so used to.  

I do have a couple of cans of cheap 7.62 to play with.

Just need a victim to start on.  Obviously, not my series '70 .38 Super, or my Caspian framed 9x23mm.  

The perfect victim would seem to be a Rock Island Armory .38 Super.

I am willing to bet it can be done.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
It is my understanding the the Chinese M1911 conversions were reworked for Tokarev magazines.  There was an article about one in a back issue of either "Small Arms Review" or its predecessor, "Machine Gun News".
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It is my understanding the the Chinese M1911 conversions were reworked for Tokarev magazines.  There was an article about one in a back issue of either "Small Arms Review" or its predecessor, "Machine Gun News".

I keep reading this, but if you hold a TT and a 1911 mag side by side with each gun, besides difference in front to back length the TT magazine is considerably shorter in height.  I can not imagine what this conversion looks like if it is an accurate description of what was done.  You would end up with a very ugly 1911 with compromised frame to get the necessary length in the mag well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]
That's a fantastic project.  How does the gun shoot?
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's a fantastic project.  How does the gun shoot?

Took it out this weekend with my oldest boy Isaiah, and my friend Doug.  This is all Doug's fault, as he got this project started with his very excellent gift of a Springfield 9mm slide and barrel.

The three of us together fired four boxes of Polish surplus, 70 rounds per box.  It started out a bit stiff being newly finished and because of the heavier spring rates.  I had several short strokes in the first few mags, so I went back to the lighter 14# for the rest of the day.  I can shoot it with six rounds of unaltered surplus with out issues.  Doug and Isaiah could only get four or five rounds reliably.  As they would have a failure to feed after the first shot if they loaded six.  It got to be pretty dirty and still ran.  Next time out I will test accuracy.  

We had one dud in the 280 rounds fired. That combined with the first test fire puts the total round count at about 320 now.  It feels like it is broken in now.  

There was no muzzle flash with the A2 hider installed.  And about a 2-3 inch ball with out the hider.  The report was seemed to be like any other handgun, but we were in the great outdoors.  I am sure at an indoor range it would be different.  The A2 hider did not decrease felt recoil but it did make the gun feel more stable while cycling, I do not know if that is just from the extra weight or the very slight comp effect it would have.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#45]
So.. i have been thinking about doing this.

do you have any pictures of the tokarev rounds loaded in the magazines?

ok... i really want one of these.

how do i do it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I apologize to all who have sent me IMs lately.  I have been logging in through JRS which does not inform me of new IMs.

Currently I do not have the ability to produce Tokarev barrels in a cost effective manner.

I am using 38 Super mags and have been setting the bullets back on Polish surplus to get the full 9 or 10 rounds capacity of each magazine.  I can load up to 6 unaltered cartridges in some magazines.

I removed the flash hider, mostly because it blocked the recoil plug which made disassembling and cleaning a chore.  It is broken in now and I have replaced the 14# recoild with the 16#.

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
i have been thinking about it, and what would be the problem with just sleeving a 45 cal barrel with a .30 and ream the chamber?

would require much less machining.
i dont have the required equipment or knowledge to to this, but i might be able to find someone that can help.

do you have any concern about the possibility of increased pressure cause by increasing the bullet seat depth?
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
An M14 made out with a 1911A1.

and the result is astonishing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Interestin'
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i have been thinking about it, and what would be the problem with just sleeving a 45 cal barrel with a .30 and ream the chamber?

would require much less machining.
i dont have the required equipment or knowledge to to this, but i might be able to find someone that can help.

do you have any concern about the possibility of increased pressure cause by increasing the bullet seat depth?

That's how the M9 barrel was made - sleeved in the 9mm barrel and held by tension, works splendid.  Should be even easier with an old 45 barrel....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top