Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2010 5:28:32 AM EDT
shot one of those new fangled steyr pistils, I think M9, w/ the trapezoid sights and all that. It was in 9mm.  

Got to say i was really impressed  The Trigger was real nice.  It is a DOA glock/XD type trigger pull cept its more of a straight back pull rather than a pivot.

Also, the muzzle flip was truly negligible.  It was very noticeably  less muzzle flip, shooting the same ammo, than my Glock 34!  It was like shooting a phaser or something.  

Anyway, I was really impressed.

COurse, my buddy said he had some feeding issue w/ it & had to get a new extractor form Steyr.  Fix for a common problem.  He hadn't shot 1k through it yet so maybe it will prove itself eventually in the reliability department.  I hope so.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always wanted to try one of those. I've never been able to find one locally.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I really enjoy mine.  They never really caught on...
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I like what they did with the angle of the trigger and trigger guard.  

It matches the angle of the rest of your fingers, while the Glock wants you to stick your trigger finger straight ahead while angling the rest of your fingers downward.   This makes for some awkward trigger finger gyrations.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry the M9A1 love and hate it,love it when I can hit a clay pigeon 70yrd due to the sharp trapezoid front post and hate it when the extraction problem kicked in on me after a little over 500 rounds.
Disassembled the plunger cleaned it up and worked flawless but still don't trust it because of that,I may never know if it will happen again when I need it.
Also the lack of holsters is a problem.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 9mm and the 40. I agree that it has much less recoil than some other weapons out there. I have fired around 1000 rounds in each and both have performed without any issues. Holsters are not as available as other more popular guns but I found a few that carry holsters for the Steyr and a list can be found on the Steyr club webpage. I bought a belt holster from J&M holsters that works well and Highnoon also makes holsters that are in stock that can ship quickly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the 40s.  1600 rounds through it and never had an issue.  I like it.  Pretty nice gun brand new for $360 when I bought it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
a few times i thought about getting a 40.  It would be nice to have a gun in 40 & this might be a good one.  Also, I seem to recall that this gun was first designed to shoot 40 rather than 9mm, which is good.

What was the nature of the extraction problem exactly.  I mean, was it an issue that was identified & corrected or is it still a worry?

Are there any cheap one out there for sale still?  I don't get the CDNN catalog anymore.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, I might even get one in 9mm to carry rather than getting another glock...  looking for something smaller than my G34.

I need to get a back up carry pistol...

ETA: just went to Stey US web site & there is no mention of pistols in their product line.  Is this a dead duck?
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Yah, they didn't sell very well and so they do not bring them in anymore.  Which is a downer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had issues with my .40 especially with aluminum cased ammo. Mine would choke about an 1/8th inch out of battery and if you saw it you could push the slide forward with your thumb. I pinned the chamber indicator to the rear and that seemed to help. It is very nice on recoil, sometimes I want to pick up a 9mm just to see how soft it would be.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a like new M9 9mm with 2 15 round mags, used, and Gander Mountain for $250.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top