Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/15/2009 8:16:51 AM EDT
does anyone know whats the hotest ammo you can put in a hi point...
9mm or .45 acp? +p+ or +p
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
.22 Long Rifle might even be too hot for a Hi Point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
i own 3 glocks  and      from what i have been reading the hi point is a very very good gun for the price ...      it even shoots the +p+ ammo  with no problems
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw on an Oklahoma gun forum where a guy shot several magizines of reloads thru one that he had filled the cases all the way up with powder and then compressed it and an attempt to blow the pistol up because he got it for free; the pistol was unaffected.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
see.....     hi point  ugly cheap price

but.... can stand-the-test-of-time
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a fixed barrel not floating so it should take almost anything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Their page says "Hi-Point handguns are +P rated and accept all factory ammunition."

- I enjoy mine. I bought the 9mm and liked it so much that I bought the carbine not long after. I still want the .45... I'll probably pick one up, too. Great guns with a lifetime warranty, made in the U.S., and they're more accurate than I am. I think they're more accurate than my Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a fan of fixed barrel pistols.   However, I'm thinking more in line with the Uzi or Mac series.  

HiPoint has excellent customer service as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot a couple high points that belonged to a couple different fellow gun club members who bought them as cheap car guns that they wouldn't have to worry about getting stolen. Usually i am able to hit steel 8 inch disks 4 or 5 out of 6 very consistently at speed with any double action gun. I honestly could not hit any of the plates at 25 yards with either of them; even after slowing down and controlling my breathing. I was able to hit man sized targets at that distance, but not reliable kill shots. Its cheap, its reliable, but in my limited experience, its not accurate or comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi Point's work on the same basic design as almost every military sub machine gun ever built, fixed barrel, direct blow back, not alot moving, not alot to break.  Friend of mine has one of the carbines and aside from being the ugliest weapon on the planet it is VERY fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I ate a potato chip once.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Great gun for the price.  Sure if you want to spend ten times more and get a gun that is 1.5 times better go ahead but if you are a burgler and get shot by a glock and a Hi Point I am sure that they are both going to hurt just as much.  In my eyes it was smart I went a step down on my AR-15 optics and got a good handgun to go with my ar.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I saw on an Oklahoma gun forum where a guy shot several magizines of reloads thru one that he had filled the cases all the way up with powder and then compressed it and an attempt to blow the pistol up because he got it for free; the pistol was unaffected.

Well that guy would win the "idiot of the month" award.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my Hi Pint Carbine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I wouldnt by a HiPoint handgun, but I do like the carbines. They are ass ugly but work good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive seen 6 blow up at my range and can honestly say best fishin weights ever used!
Link Posted: 3/1/2009 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Check this hread for graphic images that may be disturbing to some viewers...  Hi-point quality?
Link Posted: 3/1/2009 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Friends dont let friends run Hi-Points....
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]
People that trash Hi-Points don't own them. Go rub your 1911 on your pee pee and get over it already.

....lifetime warranties are not given on crap guns. They don't make $$$ if they're crap. Buy one and try it out for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive seen 6 blow up at my range and can honestly say best fishin weights ever used!

you are full of sh*t. There is now way that happened. You are a prime example of a gun snob that has no idea what you are talking about. Go ahead and keep spending triple the price for a inferior weapon.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People that trash Hi-Points don't own them. Go rub your 1911 on your pee pee and get over it already.

You must admit though that folks who own hi-points have a motivation to defend them that those who have only shot other's hi-points do not?

That said, your second line above is hilarious because when it comes to the cult of the 1911, I think you maybe are not so far off the mark

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are full of sh*t. There is now way that happened. You are a prime example of a gun snob that has no idea what you are talking about. Go ahead and keep spending triple the price for a inferior weapon.

You do yourself a disservice by claiming a weapon that costs three times as much is an inferior weapon I think. A Glock or Sig can cost threee times as much and they are demonstrably better weapons than the hi-point in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low post count. Check.  Registered Jan 2009. Check.  Guess LE agencies issue inferior weapons.  Name one agency that issues Hi Point?
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low post count. Check.  Registered Jan 2009. Check.  Guess LE agencies issue inferior weapons.  Name one agency that issues Hi Point?

Low post count and when I registered mean nothing. Check. LE agencies are government agencies. Check. Gov't agencies never waste money...uh, nevermind.

'nuff said
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low post count and when I registered mean nothing. Check. LE agencies are government agencies. Check. Gov't agencies never waste money...uh, nevermind.

'nuff said

Let's see.  Glock, S&W, Beretta, and Sig are a waste of money compared to Hi Point?  And folks who don't buy Hi Point are wasting money?  And Hi Point offers an armorer course too right?    Low post count = troll.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'nuff said

Let's see.  Glock, S&W, Beretta, and Sig are a waste of money compared to Hi Point?  And folks who don't buy Hi Point are wasting money?  And Hi Point offers an armorer course too right?    Low post count = troll.

don't be ignorant. Troll? funny. I guess if troll doesn't equal gun snob I am one.  I didn't say they were a waste of money. I said they are triple the price. It's a true statement. I also said that people who knock HP are gun snobs that probably never shot one. I also said that if someone claims to see sevral HP's blow up at the range that they were F.O.S. ALL TRUE STATEMENTS!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'nuff said

don't be ignorant. Troll? funny. I guess if troll doesn't equal gun snob I am one.  I didn't say they were a waste of money. I said they are triple the price. It's a true statement. I also said that people who knock HP are gun snobs that probably never shot one. I also said that if someone claims to see sevral HP's blow up at the range that they were F.O.S. ALL TRUE STATEMENTS!!

Your money. Do as you wish.  If you think you'd receive a standing ovation praising Hi Point with single digit post count (which is now double digit I see), well, you have noticed the reception.  My problem with your statement is calling folks & govt agencies who spend the triple the cost of a Hi Point as gun snobs.  By that statement, you are saying our military should be carrying Hi Points in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm sorry.  I don't want our troops and LEOs having to depend their lives on "quality" Hi Points.  Do you?
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'nuff said

Your money. Do as you wish.  If you think you'd receive a standing ovation praising Hi Point with single digit post count (which is now double digit I see), well, you have noticed the reception.  My problem with your statement is calling folks & govt agencies who spend the triple the cost of a Hi Point as gun snobs.  By that statement, you are saying our military should be carrying Hi Points in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm sorry.  I don't want our troops and LEOs having to depend their lives on "quality" Hi Points.  Do you?

I'm not looking for praise, I'm just stating facts. As for troops and LEOs having Hi Points as their carry pieces, I see no problem with it. I trust mine with my life and would recommend it for anyone. The fact is HP are just as good as the guns you stated at about 1/3 the price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#28]

I'm not looking for praise, I'm just stating facts. As for troops and LEOs having Hi Points as their carry pieces, I see no problem with it. I trust mine with my life and would recommend it for anyone. The fact is HP are just as good as the guns you stated at about 1/3 the price.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree with the loling here. Hi-points aren't junk in my experience, but they are NOT the equal of a Glock, S&W etc. That assertion is laughable I think.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Guess I'll be a gun snob and buy my duty weapon (Gen 3 G22 with night sights) for $150 when we convert over to new Glocks later this year, instead of getting a new HP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I'll be a gun snob and buy my duty weapon (Gen 3 G22 with night sights) for $150 when we convert over to new Glocks later this year, instead of getting a new HP.

Are you sure you don't want a new HP??  He was stating facts AND recommends HP for anyone!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure you don't want a new HP??  He was stating facts AND recommends HP for anyone!

I'm pretty sure.  Plus, 1/2 the dept are cheap asses and will not buy their G22 and G23.  I plan on buying as much as possible for $150 each.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey, Hi-Points are great pistols!

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Looks like it's styrofoam, not steel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'nuff said

I am going to agree with bikecop.  HP's are awful.  I shot my buddies sister's HP at about 10 yards and it was all over the place.  I shot my glock and it shot within a 3 inch radius at about 15 yards.  I think I will pay three times as much to actually buy a reliable gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must admit though that folks who own hi-points have a motivation to defend them that those who have only shot other's hi-points do not?

That said, your second line above is hilarious because when it comes to the cult of the 1911, I think you maybe are not so far off the mark

I think what's more interesting is that there are people that don't like HP's, yet they can't resist getting on a thread or forum about them and chewing on the same worn out baseless crap. I have several Glocks. I love them. But you know what? I've had to listen about KB's for the several past years. I've checked into Walther, Steyr, etc. Get on their forums; all you hear is the little old ladies that can't follow an owner's manual, and then sit around and complain about them and their customer service. Don't take my work for it, go check on the other manufacturer's sections here on ArfCom. You'll never find a complaint about HP's customer service. Some of you people are just creepy. You're miserable little people, and you can't stand for someone else to be happy. I feel sorry for you. No gun will make you happy, because you're sad and lonely. Don't blame a gun for that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah, that pic reminds me of the one of the Glock that "broke".

...whatever.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm pretty sure.  Plus, 1/2 the dept are cheap asses and will not buy their G22 and G23.  I plan on buying as much as possible for $150 each.

Yeah, o.k. "bikecop". I bet you wouldn't stand in front of an HP and let someone pull the trigger... If they're such pieces of crap, don't bother trashing them; hype them up so that every person will get one and won't be able to shoot "bike cops".

Hi-Points, ClipDraw, etc.: owners love them, little old ladies hate them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, o.k. "bikecop". I bet you wouldn't stand in front of an HP and let someone pull the trigger... If they're such pieces of crap, don't bother trashing them; hype them up so that every person will get one and won't be able to shoot "bike cops".

You can say the same thing about a .22 Sig Mosquito....yeah, it can kill you, but for defense, I wouldn't use one.  I would rather use a "proven in the field gun" such as an M9 or a Glock.  Just check these forums, people love glock customer support.

I don't want to sound like a dick Srben, but is a HP the only handgun you own?  Have YOU ever shot a Beretta?  Have YOU ever shot a colt 1911?  Seriously, it seems you are being a hypocrite, dissing guns that are 500+ dollars but are defending a HP to death.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And why would I want to stand in front of any loaded firearm? Let alone, have the trigger pulled?  This is your "justification" for HP Koolaid?    Now you are stating that one must be a Darwin Award Winner to "respect" the HP.  Like I said, your money, do as you wish with it.  I already stated that HP are not military or LE grade equipment and I stand by my opinion.  You can stand by yours that they are.  Neither one of us is going to change our minds.
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#41]
You can say the same thing about a .22 Sig Mosquito....yeah, it can kill you, but for defense, I wouldn't use one.  I would rather use a "proven in the field gun" such as an M9 or a Glock.  Just check these forums, people love glock customer support.

I don't want to sound like a dick Srben, but is a HP the only handgun you own?  Have YOU ever shot a Beretta?  Have YOU ever shot a colt 1911?  Seriously, it seems you are being a hypocrite, dissing guns that are 500+ dollars but are defending a HP to death.

I own several Glocks. I've owned HK, S&W, and shot everything from the inexpensive HP to the uber-expensive Kimbers and Les Baer handguns at meets. Yes, I've shot Beretta. I've got a friend that loves them and Sig, but hates Glocks. He's the only person I know that can routinely jam one. Glocks are my favorite, but having said that, HP's shoot very well and are a great gun. I was really surprised with how accurate the HP is. Go check their forums; everyone that owns one loves one. Is it perfect? Glocks are the only gun I would call "perfect" - they're as close as you'll get, imo, but not everyone has the bread for a $600. gun, and most of the jackasses braying on these boards don't own one. It's all "yeah, I knew this guy that met a guy who was friends with a guy...". They just know what a p.o.s. HP's are, but they just can't resist putting their little .02 in on any thread about one. There are several guns that I don't care for, but I don't waste my time on boards running them down and trolling threads like this. What would be the point? Who has the time and energy to keep posting about a gun they don't own, have never shot, and will never buy? Seek therapy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#42]
And why would I want to stand in front of any loaded firearm? Let alone, have the trigger pulled?  This is your "justification" for HP Koolaid?    Now you are stating that one must be a Darwin Award Winner to "respect" the HP.  Like I said, your money, do as you wish with it.  I already stated that HP are not military or LE grade equipment and I stand by my opinion.  You can stand by yours that they are.  Neither one of us is going to change our minds.

Yes, but the difference is that I own one and know what I'm talking about, whereas you don't yet you can't keep from posting about them. Have you ever shot one? I'm sure that you will say you have either way. Most people that open their mouths about HP's, ClipDraw, Fobus, etc. have no idea what they're talking about. I've read it all before. "You don't have to own one to know they're crap..." Sure. HP isn't military or LE grade? Yeah, I'm sure the military has only the most exacting standards for equipment. I keep reading about their trials and requirements, but the troops will be the first to tell you that their equipment sucks. LE? Same. Some agencies carry what they do only because other agencies carry it. That's hardly compelling. It wasn't too long ago that p.d.'s didn't want the Glocks because they might accidentally go off, they weren't revolvers, etc.

One thing that no one ever mentions is that if you shoot someone, the cops take your gun for evidence, engrave the case number into it, and toss it into a safe. I'd rather they do that with a Hi Point than one of my Glocks. I've met someone that had this happen. His family owns a check cashing business, and he got his s/s revolver back engraved with cracked handles and thoroughly trashed. "Cheap" guns have their place. HP's are American made, they stand behind their product regardless if you're the original owner or the 58th, and they go "bang" when the trigger is pulled. They're not Glock, but I'd put them up against a lot of more expensive guns. The only fault I have is the low mag capacity. Other than that, I wouldn't underestimate them.  

Ayoob on cheap guns

There's another article by Patrick Sweeney in a Guns & Ammo that I can't find right now where he punches out a clover leaf at 21 feet with a Lorcin after making the casual comment about it, and then being challenged to do it by his buddies. I wish I could find it... it's priceless.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's another example from this forum...lol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
See the thing is though, these people want opinions.  Why in the HELL would I go and ask a group of people (maybe 100 or so) that are die hard beretta fans "hey guys, should I buy a beretta, I mean, are they better than glocks or S&W's?".  When I ask the question of what type of gun is better, I would like to get a slew of different answers.  Answers from people that own that gun, answers from people that have shot that gun, answers from what people have heard.  I want all sorts of answers.  I don't want 4 pages filled with "get it, it is great".

Take newegg.com for example.  If I buy a product such as a video card for my computer and that video card is awful, no performance difference than my old video card, or it is loud as hell, I am going to write a review on newegg about how disappointed I am with that product.  People are going to read that review and think, ok, there is someone that had a bad experience, but here I see there are 4 positive reviews about it.  Negative reviews on newegg have really helped me to make informed decisions in the past on what ram, what HD, or what mouse I bought.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#45]
It should be noted that the affected pistol was chambered in .40 S&W. The same cartridge that Glocks have problems with. I'm willing to wager that reloads were also involved.

It will be interesting to find out if this pistol was sent back to HP what their response would be.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes, but the difference is that I own one and know what I'm talking about, whereas you don't yet you can't keep from posting about them. Have you ever shot one? I'm sure that you will say you have either way. Most people that open their mouths about HP's, ClipDraw, Fobus, etc. have no idea what they're talking about. I've read it all before. "You don't have to own one to know they're crap..." Sure. HP isn't military or LE grade? Yeah, I'm sure the military has only the most exacting standards for equipment. I keep reading about their trials and requirements, but the troops will be the first to tell you that their equipment sucks. LE? Same. Some agencies carry what they do only because other agencies carry it. That's hardly compelling. It wasn't too long ago that p.d.'s didn't want the Glocks because they might accidentally go off, they weren't revolvers, etc.

One thing that no one ever mentions is that if you shoot someone, the cops take your gun for evidence, engrave the case number into it, and toss it into a safe. I'd rather they do that with a Hi Point than one of my Glocks. I've met someone that had this happen. His family owns a check cashing business, and he got his s/s revolver back engraved with cracked handles and thoroughly trashed. "Cheap" guns have their place. HP's are American made, they stand behind their product regardless if you're the original owner or the 58th, and they go "bang" when the trigger is pulled. They're not Glock, but I'd put them up against a lot of more expensive guns. The only fault I have is the low mag capacity. Other than that, I wouldn't underestimate them.  

Ayoob on cheap guns

There's another article by Patrick Sweeney in a Guns & Ammo that I can't find right now where he punches out a clover leaf at 21 feet with a Lorcin after making the casual comment about it, and then being challenged to do it by his buddies. I wish I could find it... it's priceless.

That review is good, but that guy is comparing guns that differ by almost thousands of dollars.  We are comparing a $150 gun to $450 guns.  That is not that big of a difference.  If I start making six figures a year MAYBE I would spend 3500 dollars on a gun, but right now, I would not even consider it.  That reviewer might as well compared a $4000 Blaser rifle to a $800 Remington 700.  He also compared a Ruger to a Colt.  Both guns have been proven, rugers are nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#47]
I've had a Lorcin 380, and that thing was a time bomb if carried chambered(obviously would not carry chambered). I'm wondering if with the Hi-Point's safeties if they can be safely carried chambered?
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#49]

"... OH SHIT, keep your HiPoint. At least it cycles."  
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Let's try another approach:

What is the right handgun? If Hi Points are crap, what gun do you carry?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top